Multiple WiFi Devices

We are 4 people travelling on the Oasis on a Trans-Atlantic on Oct 31. My DW and I are in 1 cabin, and the other 2 are travelling solo in separate cabins. We each will need a wifi connection.

If we each purchase a device connection it costs around $28/per day CDN. 

If 1 of us gets a package for 4 devices, then the cost/person/day is closer to $15.

Is this allowed to have the devices on a 4 device package to be used by passengers in different cabins?

9 minutes ago, bucky1 said:

We are 4 people travelling on the Oasis on a Trans-Atlantic on Oct 31. My DW and I are in 1 cabin, and the other 2 are travelling solo in separate cabins. We each will need a wifi connection.

If 1 of us gets a package for 4 devices, then the cost/person/day is closer to $15.

Is this allowed to have the devices on a 4 device package to be used by passengers in different cabins?

That's absolutely fine 

9 minutes ago, bucky1 said:

Yes.  People do this all the time.  They don’t care who uses it.  

30 minutes ago, bucky1 said:

Definitely get a four device package instead of individuals.  I hope you are on Odyssey though. 🙂 

1 hour ago, bucky1 said:

Also consider whether you and DW can share one account, or if you absolutely need your own accounts. When we sail, we share 1 account across 5 devices (2 personal phones, 2 work phones, and an iPad). We just log on once or twice a day to download email, then read them as we have time. 

As others have said, definitely get the 4 device package.  My sister and BIL always share a one device pkg and I think that's great for those that it works for but that just doesn't work for my husband and me.  Having his own internet makes him happy.  You're on vacation.  A good deal with the 4 device pkg and you won't have any issues with sharing it unless one of the 4 of you tries to use an additional device while still logged in on another device.  As long as everyone knows they personally can only use one device at a time, you're fine. Go for it.

Thanks for asking this question. I just notice this today. On my DH & my upcoming Allure cruise is $49 cheaper for me to get Voom Surf for 2 devices than for each of us to get one & it didn't make sense to me. I was so happy I had thought to price it both ways.

We really only would need login for one device at a time except we are planning to use it to try to keep up with each other on the ship. Can anyone tell me about messaging in the app - how much that costs and how it works. I haven't been able to find anything about it on Royal's website. I only picked up on it here. I think I've read it's about $2/pp/per day? So $28 for us to both have it on a 7 day cruise? That sounds a lot cheaper than Voom. Thanks!

I have three devices but only purchase the two device plan.  My laptop doesn't need a constant connection.  When I need to connect it, I just use USB tethering from my phone and that enables them to share the same data simultaneously.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YadaYadaJodi said:

I think I've read it's about $2/pp/per day? So $28 for us to both have it on a 7 day cruise?

Yes and yes. If you only want to communicate on board, yes, it's a cheaper alternative to a Voom package.

My phone worked great as a Hotspot while logged into Voom, so in the cabin or on deck together, we only needed the one device plan.  Wouldn't work for people in separate cabins, but worked fine for us in one cabin and staying together most of the time.  

• Like 1

Thanks for asking and answering that question.  I just went to purchase WiFi for four of us (DW+2GD+me) it saved me $75 on our four night NoS next week by me just buying four devices rather than buying one device for each of us.  First time I ever got a deal like that with RCCL.  

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

My phone worked great as a Hotspot while logged into Voom, so in the cabin or on deck together, we only needed the one device plan.  

Others should realize that only works on a few phones - most can’t hotspot a Wi-Fi connection. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Thanks for asking and answering that question.  I just went to purchase WiFi for four of us (DW+2GD+me) it saved me $75 on our four night NoS next week by me just buying four devices rather than buying one device for each of us.  First time I ever got a deal like that with RCCL.  

Royal has had the multi-device savings forever.... I often buy a 4-device plan and then "sell off" the other devices to people on my roll call so we all get the cheaper rate.  

Just now, brillohead said:

Royal has had the multi-device savings forever.... I often buy a 4-device plan and then "sell off" the other devices to people on my roll call so we all get the cheaper rate.  

Haven't really paid attention as the last 15 years we have sailed in a suite so it was included.  We just planned this last minute trip with the granddaughters on a short five night so had to get connecting sea view as not even balconies were available.  Now I gotta pay for WiFI!  Oh, the first world problems we have to deal with.    

I am new to RC so please bear with me. 
We are 2 people in the cabin and we do not need to be online at the same time. Am I understanding correctly that we can have one person purchase VOOM for one device and take turns using it where one logs out on their device and the other logs in on a different device? Neither of us need to be online often, we just both would like to be able to check emails, social media, sports scores etc. 

13 minutes ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

We are 2 people in the cabin and we do not need to be online at the same time. Am I understanding correctly that we can have one person purchase VOOM for one device and take turns using it where one logs out on their device and the other logs in on a different device? Neither of us need to be online often, we just both would like to be able to check emails, social media, sports scores etc. 

Correct

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

You can easily switch 1 connection between devices. My wife and I always just purchase 1 connection and use it between two i phones, 1 ipad and 1 laptop.   Pretty simple to just log off one device and then log on another.  The system you if a device is log on your plan and you can even get the other off.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 3:18 AM, YadaYadaJodi said:

I think I've read it's about $2/pp/per day? So $28 for us to both have it on a 7 day cruise? That sounds a lot cheaper than Voom. Thanks!

We tried this on Indy last week. Just be aware that the app doesn't send push notifications to your phone when someone sends you a message. You have to open the app to see if someone has messaged you.