Aruba excursion question

Yes.  When we are in Aruba, we take a taxi to the Hyatt at Palm Beach and walk to the beach.  Beaches are free and usually there's an individual(s) you can rent a lounger and umbrella.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, murph1031 said:

Has anyone done the Aruba highlights and beach break excursion? All the web site lists is a time to enjoy the beach. Was wondering if anyone knew how long the beach stop is?

a family on the ship with us did this and they didn't really have any time on the beach. 

We took a taxi to the Eagle beach in the morning and enjoyed ourselves till about 3, but they came in about 1:30 and left at 2. Their kid was playing on the beach with our kid, while mom and dad got some food and drinks at the beach bar. They walked over with the food and were like - omg, the bus is leaving now, we have to go!

I told them they could just get a taxi back for $15 later, but they decided against it. Got their food and unopened drink bottles and ran to the bus.

Not enjoyable at all in my book.

• Thanks 1

Aruba is really safe.  Precovid, there were lots of taxis lined up at the port and you could just hire one to take you wherever you wanted to go.  We did the highlights of the island, plus there's a really nice animal sanctuary at Philip's animal garden if you have kids or just really like animals.  Just check on the aruba port board if the taxis are still available, since that's your best bet.  we usually prearrange private tours but that wasn't necessary in aruba.

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

a family on the ship with us did this and they didn't really have any time on the beach. 

We took a taxi to the Eagle beach in the morning and enjoyed ourselves till about 3, but they came in about 1:30 and left at 2. Their kid was playing on the beach with our kid, while mom and dad got some food and drinks at the beach bar. They walked over with the food and were like - omg, the bus is leaving now, we have to go!

I told them they could just get a taxi back for $15 later, but they decided against it. Got their food and unopened drink bottles and ran to the bus.

Not enjoyable at all in my book.

Thank you. I wondered why they didn't list the beach time on the excursion page. Guess we will skip this one. 

Do you happen to know how long the drive is to eagle beach? Would like a few hours then time to explore the town near the port.

55 minutes ago, murph1031 said:

Do you happen to know how long the drive is to eagle beach?

about 7-10 minutes to the end closest to the port. Right across from LaQuinta hotel. There are plenty of taxis at the port - we were there first week of June.

But the Eagle beach then continues farther out all the way to the Butterfly farm (Divi Phoenix hotel area) - also nice to see. That's what we did back in 2016 - Butterfly farm first (not a ship tour - just took a taxi) and then crossed the road to the beach. Took a taxi back later.

This time we were going to go back to the ship, change and go to the zoo (Phillip's garden), but it was VERY hot and windy that day, and we don't like hot all that much, unless we are in the water. So, we just went back to the ship instead and stayed put. Definitely use a lot of SPF - we burned pretty badly, despite all the reapplying.

If you go to the Eagle beach not in front of a hotel, get there early if you need an umbrella ($40 for one with two chaises). You can choose to tell the taxi driver "Eagle beach" or Eagle beach in front of "insert high or low rise hotel name" which is $1 more.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

Last month when I was on the Allure, took the tour and spent less than an hour at the beach, IMO the tour was not worth the money, my advice, rent a cab to see the sights or go to the beach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we got the local bus to Arashi Beach , got a couple of loungers which came with a bottle of water and wifi for as long as we stayed we had are own snorkelling gear but you could hire them if you wanted to. Beach was a mixture of locals and tourists.

You could also walk up to California Lighthouse if you wanted to. In total cost around $15 , and the bus driver both ways was quite chatty and even did his own mini narration of the area.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147247-i144-k10963640-Bus_to_Arashi_beach-Aruba.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If a first timer to Aruba I highly recommend taking a tour of the island and see the other end of the island (desert like) near the natural bridge as well as a tour to California Lighthouse.  The view from this area is amazing and there is a nice Italian restaurant next to the lighthouse that offers amazing sunset views with great food (if there at nighttime).     

Another nice place to go is Reflexions Beach Club http://www.reflexionsaruba.com/

they offer beach loungers for $6.50 pp and serve food and drink all day.     This is a short taxi ride and when ready to leave they will call a taxi for you to return to the port.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, murph1031 said:

Thank you. I wondered why they didn't list the beach time on the excursion page. Guess we will skip this one. 

Do you happen to know how long the drive is to eagle beach? Would like a few hours then time to explore the town near the port.

It's about 10 min taxi ride to Eagle beach, and another 3-5 min from Eagle to Palm beach. 

You won't need hours to explore the port. It's your usual couple of blocks of souvenir stores and restaurants. 

11 minutes ago, poocher said:

Are there options for renting loungers/umbrellas at Eagle Beach?  Access to good food/drink/facilities?

Yes there are lots of umbrellas and loungers for rent on Eagle Beach.

No there are not good food/drink/facilities. Eagle beach is a bare bones, quiet beach, for people who want to spread out and relax but don't necessarily want to be around the hustle and bustle (which food/drinks/facilities generally attract). 

I like Palm Beach much more than Eagle. There's more to eat and drink, and the water is more calm, so you can get in and float all day long. Can't usually do that at Eagle unless it's an abnormally calm day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poocher said:

Are there options for renting loungers/umbrellas at Eagle Beach?  Access to good food/drink/facilities?

There is one restaurant/bar (sorry, I didn't check them out so I can't vouch for price or quality), and two loungers and an umbrella are $30-$40.  

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If a first timer to Aruba I highly recommend taking a tour of the island and see the other end of the island (desert like) near the natural bridge as well as a tour to California Lighthouse.  The view from this area is amazing and there is a nice Italian restaurant next to the lighthouse that offers amazing sunset views with great food (if there at nighttime).     

Another nice place to go is Reflexions Beach Club http://www.reflexionsaruba.com/

they offer beach loungers for $6.50 pp and serve food and drink all day.     This is a short taxi ride and when ready to leave they will call a taxi for you to return to the port.    

That reflections beach club was so fantastic. We stayed and enjoyed a sunset dinner there as we were in port until 10 pm. Drinks were delicious and  reasonably priced. We got there just in time for happy hour. The taxi ride was about 12.00 and the restaurant called one for us when we were done. Best day ever, since we also did the Aruba trikes in the morning. 

• Like 1