The Return of Arcadia

Travelmadoldie

1 hour ago, arlowood said:

Yes, they were due to call at Stornoway, Greenock (for Glasgow) and Holyhead all down the west side. Not many options on the east coast after Edinburgh so maybe they'll spend a couple of days there. Or possibly hop over to the Netherlands or Belgium to fill the time.

They're not due back in Southampton until 2nd August so they have nearly a week to fill???

Maybe Newcastle will be an option. I was due to go there on my cancelled QV cruise. I believe they dock  quite a way from the city centre, but there's a lot of excursion options in that part of the world, Beamish, Durham and Alnwick Castle spring to mind 

46 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Maybe Newcastle will be an option. I was due to go there on my cancelled QV cruise. I believe they dock  quite a way from the city centre, but there's a lot of excursion options in that part of the world, Beamish, Durham and Alnwick Castle spring to mind 

And don't forget meeting up with Graham and Pauline on South Shields beach. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Edinburgh is a great port, so once the passengers have got over their surprise that they are visiting you, I'm sure they'll have a lovely time.

I was due to visit in May on Queen Victoria, but Cunard cancelled the cruise. I had planned to do a tour that visited the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Royal Yacht Britannia. Hopefully I'll visit again one day. 

Have been to Edinburgh many times wonderful city, I visited it a lot when I was working, never got to see much, but have since been twice for leisure purposes. Two of my favourite viewpoints are the Castle and Calton Hill, we hope to visit again later this year, together with trips to Perth and St Andrews. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Edinburgh is a great port, so once the passengers have got over their surprise that they are visiting you, I'm sure they'll have a lovely time.

I was due to visit in May on Queen Victoria, but Cunard cancelled the cruise. I had planned to do a tour that visited the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Royal Yacht Britannia. Hopefully I'll visit again one day. 

Tendering in Newhaven, for Edinburgh today. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mickey1959 said:

Lerwick  canceled due to high winds!

Hi Mickey

Enjoy Edinburgh - my son lives close to Leith so I have asked him to look out for Arcadia off Newhaven. I guess Arcadia is too big for the Leith cruise berth but you've been upstaged by The World cruise ship anyway LOL.

What's happening with the other ports that were planned - Stornoway, Greenock, Holyhead? Have you been informed how the rest of the itinerary is working out before Southampton next week

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Hi Mickey

Enjoy Edinburgh - my son lives close to Leith so I have asked him to look out for Arcadia off Newhaven. I guess Arcadia is too big for the Leith cruise berth but you've been upstaged by The World cruise ship anyway LOL.

What's happening with the other ports that were planned - Stornoway, Greenock, Holyhead? Have you been informed how the rest of the itinerary is working out before Southampton next week

Going ahead as planned hopefully!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Danamis said:

We are on this cruise. We got on a local ferry from ship. Very smooth! 

Just as well it isn't a very low tide. When I was there on Queen Elizabeth in 2016 that was an issue. The Captain had warned that the tender operation may have to be suspended and our tender was definitely hitting the bottom as we went into the little harbour at Newhaven.

1 hour ago, mickey1959 said:

E-mail states operational reasons!!!!!

Never!!

I heard you have Anneka Rice on board. Before you leave each port she hands your Captain a sealed envelope. He then opens the said envelope, and therein lies a clue. He's then got to guess where the next port of call is.

Unfortunately he guessed wrong this time and hence no Torshaven.

BTW don't get spooked if a Helicopter lands on the ship, nobody is getting airlifted, it's just Anneka leaving.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Danamis said:

We are on this cruise. We got on a local ferry from ship. Very smooth! 

That will be our fabulous Forth Belle.   One of two used to help tender passengers on board the larger ships from Newhaven Harbour and South Queensferry.    Both she, and the other one - Maid of the Forth - are primarily local excursion ships which run sightseeing tours and jazz cruises in the Firth of Forth.  

Both popular with cruise passengers compared to the usual cruise ship life boat tenders, for the very smooth journeys you mention.

• Like 4