LAFFNVEGAS Live From the 7 Day Viking Sagas On Board the MS Rotterdam 7/10/22

LAFFNVEGAS

On 7/8/2022 at 12:38 AM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This is Business Class, although we were not very impressed. The tightest quarters we have flown in for Business Class, it’s what United brags about called Polaris. American and Air Canada are much nicer.

Lisa, when we flew Delta First/Business last year to San Diego, it was crappy!  Crazy configuration and equally terrible meal(s) -- can you say "boxed dinner"?  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skipper's Mom said:

Lisa, when we flew Delta First/Business last year to San Diego, it was crappy!  Crazy configuration and equally terrible meal(s) -- can you say "boxed dinner"?  Enjoy your cruise!

We have flown Delta One several times,the latest Oct 2021 AMS to SLC and it was very nice...I even slept!  Domestic First Class is not that great, just a cushier seat🙂.

Good Evening from the MS Rotterdam 

Well this has been a very full day.

First check in. No one was paying any attention to your assigned check in times . I am not even sure HAL knew what they were doing with assigning them. Originally we were assigned A, we are 4 star but not in a Neptune this time, we are in an aft Vista Suite. We were assigned an A we were linked with two other reservations that one that were 1 star and two star were also assign A and another 4 star was assigned B, the following week our times were moved up but we went to a C boarding group at 11:40. The 2 and 1 star remained A and assigned 11:00 and the other 4 star B boarding just had time changed to 11:20. The the week before we remained the same boarding group C we were booked hotel through HAL The other 4 star was not booked hotel through HAL again remained a B 11:20 the 2 star was not a HAL hotel but went from A boarding group to B. We were the only ones that our Boarding Pass said said Priority. Then to top it off the HAL Rep at Movenpick said at 10:30 we could go ahead and head over to the Teri to check in. So we did along with several hundred others. We were sent to Priority Boarding line which was short to have them verify Vaccination Card. We then went to another counter to check in. This was also for Priority:4 and 5 Star and Neptune Suites. They then sent us upstairs to fill out yet another questionnaire which was identical to what was done on line. Then you are handed a plastic tag with a boarding number. We were assigned boarding group 11. Many were asking if they had a separate group for Neptune Suites they would apologize and say no, here’s your boarding number. It was about 11:45 they announced they would start boarding. it was about 12:15 that we were called to board.

we headed to our aft stateroom to drop off our bags and went to the spa to check in for our pre purchased Spa pass. Then to the Lifo for lunch.

I managed to get my Embarkation Day only Peanut Butter pie. 
after lunch we headed to deck 3 aft to check in for life boat drill. 
My friend Colleen’s Cousin who was flying in Saturday from North Carolina, made it successfully with no problems having left Saturday afternoon..

Tonight we all dined in Tamarind, finished  eating about the time we went through the locks so headed up to watch from our aft cabin.

We then headed down to walk through the shops, Tom and I both found a T-shirt then sat and watched Rolling Stone Rock Band at 8:45 for their first set then the first few songs of Billboard onboard and decided to call it a night. With that update I am going to call it a night.

I totally forgot my phone later this even so no pictures of the MustWalk.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Rotterdam.

C21D132F-0018-44CF-A7C5-559F1E1DD95C.jpeg

5DEF3DD3-639C-4263-9B42-36DCBB7C70B9.jpeg

AB1486CD-390B-4667-B3A7-55019A9DB198.jpeg

BE6F5424-B4AA-4D9A-8E99-B0EBAD17FBC1.jpeg

A6FB4B9A-AFA7-4CFF-99C9-C27FC8726BD1.jpeg

0009BF3D-EA76-4A0C-82B7-D8C405EFF32C.jpeg

ACD7128F-84FD-4DB2-9CB7-5B09EAE6D229.jpeg

BB2AE119-F739-4EAE-90F8-486B47D8C9DB.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

We just had our last breakfast at Movenpick Hotel. Definitely one of the better hotel breakfast I have had over the years

The hotel has definitely upgraded their breakfast buffet area in comparison to when we stayed there.  

One of the important "thrills" for me was when we arose in the morning and saw the Eurodam docked not too far from our hotel's window.  

The interior of the terminal appears quite different.  And, not as guest friendly as it was.  

• Like 3

So exciting to read of your visit to Amsterdam before your cruise.  My husband is Dutch so the places you visited brought back memories.  We also stayed at the Movenpick before our cruise to Norway on the Eurodam back in 2013.  So handy to the cruise terminal.  I remember waking and looking out our window on the 20th floor and seeing the huge bulk of the Eurodam gliding in to the terminal.  We also had an Aft cabin on that cruise so many similarities.  Have a wonderful time in Norway.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@LAFFNVEGASif I were you, I'd have spirited away a couple of pieces of the peanut butter pie and stuck them in your fridge for another time . . . . 

😂 Ger, I did have two pieces for lunch, it was good but it was not the same as it has been . In years past it was made with a graham cracker crust. This was a thin regular pie crust which surprised me. I think keeping it longer it may have gotten soggy . Heaven only knows I don’t need the extra calories. Having had two for lunch was definitely enough 😆 lol

This is our second time on a Pinnacle Class the first was the very first sailing of the Koningsdam in April  2016 out of Italy. There is definitely some differences from Koningsdam to Rotterdam. But in fairness we were in a Neptune Suite for that cruise and this is the category AS Vista Suite  I will do some writing of my thoughts on this cabin later.

5 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@LAFFNVEGASthanks for the update.  I’m sorry if you’ve mentioned this already.  Is this your first cruise on a pinnacle class ship? I remember my first cruise on one which is the koningsdam.  I didn’t know what to think because it was so different.  Now I love this class.     

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good morning @LAFFNVEGAS

Hope that you are getting into 'our' time zone and enjoying your cruise.  

If you have time would you check if Rotterdam has the 'a la carte' asian station in the Lido during the evening dinner?   We really enjoyed it on Koningsdam.

TIA

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Good morning @LAFFNVEGAS

Hope that you are getting into 'our' time zone and enjoying your cruise.  

If you have time would you check if Rotterdam has the 'a la carte' asian station in the Lido during the evening dinner?   We really enjoyed it on Koningsdam.

TIA

I will try to check that out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from the Rotterdam, yesterday we had an invitation to a Mariner Reception for 3, 4 and 5 star Mariners. It was at 10 at Rolling Stone. We got there about 9:50 and across from Rolling Stone at Billboard Lounge we’re about 4 Officers standing including the Captain asked is this the Mariner Reception and they said Yes. No check off if we were on a list. Not super crowded. There was the usual Mimosas, orange juice and watered down Bloody Mary. Plus peanuts on the table. Finally at about 10:15 the Captain greeted us spoke for a total of 5 minutes. Just greeting us and talking about 150 years of HAL and the Trans Atlantic crossing next year.Then walked away as did the other Officers. Everyone just looked at each other thinking “Is that it?????” There was not even a Cruise Director to introduce Captain or talk. I have to admit this one really had me stumped. I had to beg Tom to come since he rarely does. 
Next up we went to Shore Excursion desk at Exploration Lounge aka Crows Nest. I wanted to find out time for transfers on Sunday to Schiphol since our British Airways flight is at 11:35. They The first Transfer leaves at 8:00 . She had the attitude that yes we know HAL booked your flight early and yes we know there are problems at Schiphol but we don’t care. She did say”We are not responsible for getting you there on time.” Basically I was shocked. Watching and listening to what time they started disembarkation yesterday it was about 7:30 for self disembarkation. So not sure at this point it would be any better. We have two things in our favor. One British Airways is at terminal 2. It is my understanding They are not have the long line problems at that terminal. Then we are also Business Class. So with any luck we should be ok as long as the flight does not get canceled.

Now just need to make sure we are assigned first bus leaving to Schiphol.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Hi Lisa,

We got off of Rotterdam a few weeks ago to return to the UK. The disembarkation and transfer was efficient, so we were at the airport within half an hour after getting off the ship. There was no queue at check in although it did take us nearly an hour to get through security. I hope that gives you some reassurance, because it's not nice to go through your whole cruise worrying about getting your flight at the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@LAFFNVEGASLisa, we have added breakfast to our Movenpick reservation and booked the pizza canal cruise for our first night in Amsterdam. Thank you for your reports and pictures, it makes such a difference hearing first hand about things.

Deen

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Morning from the Rotterdam, yesterday we had an invitation to a Mariner Reception for 3, 4 and 5 star Mariners. It was at 10 at Rolling Stone. We got there about 9:50 and across from Rolling Stone at Billboard Lounge we’re about 4 Officers standing including the Captain asked is this the Mariner Reception and they said Yes. No check off if we were on a list. Not super crowded. There was the usual Mimosas, orange juice and watered down Bloody Mary. Plus peanuts on the table. Finally at about 10:15 the Captain greeted us spoke for a total of 5 minutes. Just greeting us and talking about 150 years of HAL and the Trans Atlantic crossing next year.Then walked away as did the other Officers. Everyone just looked at each other thinking “Is that it?????” There was not even a Cruise Director to introduce Captain or talk. I have to admit this one really had me stumped. I had to beg Tom to come since he rarely does. 
Next up we went to Shore Excursion desk at Exploration Lounge aka Crows Nest. I wanted to find out time for transfers on Sunday to Schiphol since our British Airways flight is at 11:35. They The first Transfer leaves at 8:00 . She had the attitude that yes we know HAL booked your flight early and yes we know there are problems at Schiphol but we don’t care. She did say”We are not responsible for getting you there on time.” Basically I was shocked. Watching and listening to what time they started disembarkation yesterday it was about 7:30 for self disembarkation. So not sure at this point it would be any better. We have two things in our favor. One British Airways is at terminal 2. It is my understanding They are not have the long line problems at that terminal. Then we are also Business Class. So with any luck we should be ok as long as the flight does not get canceled.

Now just need to make sure we are assigned first bus leaving to Schiphol.

Lisa BA was in terminal 2, but after Brexit changed that to Terminal 3.  In general 3 is a bit  less busy than the other terminals. In case you prefer a cab, check this website for a fixed price to Schiphol airport. They need an exact time to pickup or there is a small surcharge. https://www.tcataxi.nl/en/tca-news/fixed-fare-to-schiphol-airport/

Edited by Ine
  • Like 3

LAFFNVEGAS

I enjoy your posts, thank you.

We return to the US on September 11 and have the same flight on BA that departs at 11:35 AM.  If you find out any more information or have problems, please let us know.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Lisa  You did well with the Marine Reception.  On the Koningsdam for 7 weeks and these receptions were at 2 pm embarkation day in Billboard. Very tough timing for some  who did not embark in the morning.  The Mariner rep, a very nice and efficient 2 stripe  lady, was in charge.  She came early and then a few 2/3 stripe Officers showed up.  Mostly, Mariners just walked in and sat down.  The Hotel Manager came at 2:20 and talked to some high Mariners whom he knew.   On the Zuiderdam this took place in the CN, no host except for a couple of bar servers, on embarkation day at 2:30 pm.

The "Mariner Recognition Party" on the Koningsdam was in the CN on the last sea day 11 am, Captain and Hotel Manager plus the Mariner Rep lady who was in charge. 

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 2

Good Evening from the Rotterdam, well here on the Rotterdam they have been calling it both Gala Night and Dressy Night. And basically anything goes for attire. 
we had a nice dinner but our location was extremely noisy. Very hard to talk to others at our table.

I don’t think acoustics are good in the Dining Room. I know they are not in the Spa reception area, it was weird I could not hear them and they were having trouble hearing me with other people near by talking. 
We are getting ready to go down to see the Band at the Rolling Stone Rock and Roll Lounge

Btw I had the Sea Bass and it was excellent, the Filet was just ok.

74E904E8-49B7-44CD-BE4D-B0DA36B20C60.jpeg

2E4DC55D-2BDB-492E-8CC6-5ECDDC6EFFA1.jpeg

0173B2C8-DE66-4934-9097-21A377E94FAE.jpeg

5A3A493E-4598-4D7A-B2D6-201E04D76B46.jpeg

6899EC7F-7DEF-4FC7-979E-C22001B83DF6.jpeg

BEAC6E41-1253-4D26-8A4E-D96DF625FBF8.jpeg

5A419136-66DD-422A-9485-E402E5948029.jpeg

65D35C93-7D23-463D-819C-07173B75C4FB.jpeg

470148A6-84AE-4D37-A99B-0C42BE8B5FF4.jpeg

A0778417-5A39-4CDA-B56F-4CACB9B75665.jpeg

7A7D98A7-289C-49EE-A78C-4CA4E66D338F.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Love your pictures.  We agree that the acoustics in certain areas of the mdr are loud and uncomfortable.  Can't hear yourself think, never mind other people.  We've gotten up and walked out on a few occasions.  I don't know why they don't have better soundproofing.  And this is on the Pinnacle class ships. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, colin v said:

@LAFFNVEGASDo you know how many passengers are onboard? We are travelling in August. I was wondering what to expect.  TIA

I honestly do not know but will try to find out. My guess it is very close too 100% all venues crowded. Definitely a big difference from our last HAL cruises in Alaska last year.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Good Evening from the Rotterdam, well here on the Rotterdam they have been calling it both Gala Night and Dressy Night. And basically anything goes for attire. 
we had a nice dinner but our location was extremely noisy. Very hard to talk to others at our table.

I don’t think acoustics are good in the Dining Room. I know they are not in the Spa reception area, it was weird I could not hear them and they were having trouble hearing me with other people near by talking. 
We are getting ready to go down to see the Band at the Rolling Stone Rock and Roll Lounge

Btw I had the Sea Bass and it was excellent, the Filet was just ok.

74E904E8-49B7-44CD-BE4D-B0DA36B20C60.jpeg

2E4DC55D-2BDB-492E-8CC6-5ECDDC6EFFA1.jpeg

0173B2C8-DE66-4934-9097-21A377E94FAE.jpeg

5A3A493E-4598-4D7A-B2D6-201E04D76B46.jpeg

6899EC7F-7DEF-4FC7-979E-C22001B83DF6.jpeg

BEAC6E41-1253-4D26-8A4E-D96DF625FBF8.jpeg

5A419136-66DD-422A-9485-E402E5948029.jpeg

65D35C93-7D23-463D-819C-07173B75C4FB.jpeg

470148A6-84AE-4D37-A99B-0C42BE8B5FF4.jpeg

A0778417-5A39-4CDA-B56F-4CACB9B75665.jpeg

7A7D98A7-289C-49EE-A78C-4CA4E66D338F.jpeg

Tom looks like a Prince among his ladies, LOL!

• Haha 2