Carnival Luminosa New Paint

JP350

If there’s already a thread on this then feel free to delete, but carnival just announced the carnival luminosa and it looks horrendous. I’m not kidding. The livery looks like a cheap half conversion where the only goal was to save money and time. I get Freedom where the point was to get her back into service quickly, but they have time and a dry dock where they could easily make all these modifications. There’s no whale tale, no orange life boats, no new livery, and no fun ship 2.0 upgrades. This is just a cheap cost saving way for carnival to save a few bucks. I’m just gonna say it carnival is falling behind the other cruise lines.

69997625-2F41-44DC-923F-76EF945762E9.webp

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

this ship was originally built and used by costa cruises. costa ship dont have whale tails and different lifeboat colors 

But the ship can be retrofitted. Carnival has the capabilities to add all of those modifications. The ships is based off the spirit class of carnival ships.

I really can't believe they're willing to give in on their signature funnel design. They should have kept this a Costa ship like the other ships (the "Costa by Carnival" collection).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Could be temporary.

That was my thought as well. They'll probably retrofit the funnel and give her the new livery at the next scheduled dry dock. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Rudyard said:

That was my thought as well. They'll probably retrofit the funnel and give her the new livery at the next scheduled dry dock. 

Since she began service in 2009, this would be the last drydock before she turns 15. It could be as long as 2027 before  she goes back to drydock.

I'm surprised that even the blue bow isn't being applied however, repainting the hull shouldn't take that long.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, tidecat said:

Since she began service in 2009, this would be the last drydock before she turns 15. It could be as long as 2027 before  she goes back to drydock.

I'm surprised that even the blue bow isn't being applied however, repainting the hull shouldn't take that long.

They toke advantage of the dry dock time to add the blue livery to Horizon so I'm also surprised that they aren't adding it here.

Maybe it won't even have a dry dock....

30 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I don't think they're doing the hull on either Costa ship. They want to keep them separate as an Italian Carnival.

The other 2 costa ships they aren’t changing a thing it’s costa all the way, but this one is supposed to be transferred over to the carnival fleet. 

• Like 2

Carnival has lost its edge so to speak. They have 2 new builds for the whole corporation scheduled (22 and 23) but after that nothing. On top of that they’re taking the cheap way out with ships. If you look at their competitors Royal, NCL, Virgin, MSC, and Disney they have new builds scheduled to last them years while carnival isn’t keeping up

56 minutes ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

They toke advantage of the dry dock time to add the blue livery to Horizon so I'm also surprised that they aren't adding it here.

Maybe it won't even have a dry dock....

That’s what I’m thinking too I think they might try to do a wet dock to save time and money.

• Like 1

100% agree with this. The whole thing seems so rushed (and they even admit it is in their press releases). The still haven't said which Carnival enhancements it's getting, but it feel so half-assed. For the Australian sailings, it might not be that bad, since there's no Carnival ships to compare it to, but once it gets to Alaska and sailing with the Miracle and other sailings, its going to be pretty obvious this is a half-assed option. They're really risking their brand reputation here (which is already being tarnished by running full capacity ships with half capacity crew and super discount prices). 

Edited by ray985
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Carnival has lost its edge so to speak. They have 2 new builds for the whole corporation scheduled (22 and 23) but after that nothing. On top of that they’re taking the cheap way out with ships. If you look at their competitors Royal, NCL, Virgin, MSC, and Disney they have new builds scheduled to last them years while carnival isn’t keeping up

In the whole corporation there is also the Sphere class ships, Queen Anne, and Seabourn Venture & Pursuit but I see what you mean

Edited by CarnivalShips480
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ray985 said:

100% agree with this. The whole thing seems so rushed (and they even admit it is in their press releases). The still haven't said which Carnival enhancements it's getting, but it feel so half-assed. For the Australian sailings, it might not be that bad, since there's no Carnival ships to compare it to, but once it gets to Alaska and sailing with the Miracle and other sailings, its going to be pretty obvious this is a half-assed option. They're really risking their brand reputation here (which is already being tarnished by running full capacity ships with half capacity crew and super discount prices). 

Yep their brand reputation is tanking fast. The Lumonisa compared to their carnival ships will be an embarrassment, and the conversion is so rushed it kinda makes me think that they are gonna send the ship back to costa but still not an excuse.

I’m amazed at all the crying comments over a ship being added. The whale tail does nothing for the ship. So what if doesn’t get the full paint job since it may only be temporary. I say great job Carnival trying to do what it can to keep its company going.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bamaone said:

I’m amazed at all the crying comments over a ship being added. The whale tail does nothing for the ship. So what if doesn’t get the full paint job since it may only be temporary. I say great job Carnival trying to do what it can to keep its company going.

I agree. Why spend money just to make it look more familiar. If it is a nice ship and has all the same as the others. I give it a thumbs up. 👍

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, bamaone said:

I’m just saying that why is carnival constantly taking the cheap way out all the time. Carnival is cheaping out this old ship while other cruise lines are constantly bringing on new ships after Covid even though they are struggling too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I agree. Why spend money just to make it look more familiar. If it is a nice ship and has all the same as the others. I give it a thumbs up. 👍

Bc it’s their brand and a company’s brand is their entire business. What’s the Luminosa going to look like next to the miracle and splendor in Alaska it’s an embarrassment to be honest.

12 minutes ago, JP350 said:

Bc it’s their brand and a company’s brand is their entire business. What’s the Luminosa going to look like next to the miracle and splendor in Alaska it’s an embarrassment to be honest.

Because it doesn’t have a whale tail or orange life boats? There’s no way you really care what color the life boats are. The Luminosa will look just fine next to other Carnival ships just as other cruise line ships do. The company’s brand is cruising  and that’s what they are providing. I absolutely do not see anything embarrassing about another great looking ship sailing with the Carnival name.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

At least since Carnival isn't doing major surgery on the funnel, maybe the Funship 2.0 food concepts will be the primary focus. The following shouldn't be much more than changing the signs and reprinting the menus:

Pizzeria > Pizzeria del Capitano

Club Luminosa > Fahrenheit 555

Buffet Andromeda > Lido Marketplace

Virgo Bar > Alchemy Bar

Cafeteria Sirius > JavaBlue Cafe

Samsara Restaurant could go in multiple directions-it was designed for those staying in spa cabins-but I would think it would likely become Cucina del Capitano.

The main pool area will need a little more attention as it has the pre-Funship 2.0 grill in the middle. At the very least it should be Guy's Burger Joint, even if they can't split it into two venues. No telling if the second would be Masala Tiger, Blue Iguana Cantina, or even Big Chicken. It also looks like both bars (Red Frog Rum and Blue Iguana Tequila) would need to be built on the Lido deck.

The spa and piano bar should just be re-badge jobs.

I could see Carnival using the Discoteca Altair as the stand-in for the Limelight Lounge since it could be used for all but the late-night comedy shows before transitioning into a nightclub. It is a two-deck venue, so it may not be feasible to split it vertically right now. The theater would ikely not be rebranded as the Liquid Lounge.

The chapel will likely become a Skybox sports bar. Heroes Tribute Lounge wouldn't make sense given the ship will split time with the Australian market.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guess we will no be cruising on it any time soon. Wife will not fly and we live in Florida. If we were. I hope they do not ahve Guy's burgers. Good meat on a hot grill with fresh buns is far better. Guy's burgers uses good meat but destroys them when they squash them down, over and over again. Flip squash must be their motto. No 2.0 needed.