Dress Code - Mediterranean Cruise

lagrutke

I've been searching through the forum and have come across many discussions on the dress code for Princess cruises.   I did see something about how those on European cruises dress a bit more formally than those on other cruises but the post was somewhat vague.  Is this true?  My last cruise was last year to the Caribbean and people dressed from casual to dressy, but not many tuxes or gowns.  We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in September and I'm not sure what to pack.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you in advance!

Kathy

20 minutes ago, lagrutke said:

I've been searching through the forum and have come across many discussions on the dress code for Princess cruises.   I did see something about how those on European cruises dress a bit more formally than those on other cruises but the post was somewhat vague.  Is this true?  My last cruise was last year to the Caribbean and people dressed from casual to dressy, but not many tuxes or gowns.  We are going on a Mediterranean cruise in September and I'm not sure what to pack.  Any help would be appreciated! 

Thank you in advance!

Kathy

I took a tux on our Baltic cruise 3 years ago.  But I didn't see a lot of formal wear.  But it should be noted that I only ran into a few European cruisers.  Most were either American, Canadian, or Asian.  Most only wore suits at best.  I think I ran into more people with formal wear on a Hawaiian cruise the year before.

• Like 2

We'll be dressing formally on our two week Med' cruise starting this Saturday on Regal.

My wife loves dressing up regardless of the suggested dress code, and I try to complement her attire. But I don't give a monkey's what others choose to wear!

• Like 5

In terms of formal wear I always say do what makes you feel comfortable I mean I always dress pretty elegantly in general even on a smart casual night I just do me and you just need to do you.

• Like 4

On our recent Regal cruise, on firnal nights I would say 25% wore tuxedos,  25% wore jacket and tie, 40% what I would call smart formal,  and the remaining 10%  looked as if they had been to a thrift shop.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You post the name Kathy, so I make an assumption you're female. Mrs. Mtnesterz wears a long dressy dress, flat sandals, accessorized with a sequened shawl on formal nights. This takes little luggage weight or space and you'll see most women dressed similarly. She says to write that she has good luck finding formals on the sale racks at TJ Maxx, Ross or Marshall's if you need to shop. 

Don't use your Caribbean cruise as an example of what to wear in Europe.

• Like 2

We've taken quite a few Princess cruises in many different parts of the world.  As has been said many times, you will see a broad spectrum of clothing styles.  Certainly non U.S. based cruises, especially in Europe, you will see more folks following the traditional formal guidelines.

Having said that, we recently returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess and I was quite surprised by the significantly higher number of passengers that went all out compared to our expectations.  That's not to say that there weren't many who were more casual.  

It was very noticeable.  My theory (take it for what it's worth) is that this was after most schools were out for the summer.  As a result there were many  families AND there was an unusually large percentage of first time and newer cruisers.  I have to say it was kind of nice.  It wasn't so much traditional tuxedos and evening gowns but rather lots of dressy contemporary "youthful" clothes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That's the beauty of Princess.  Guests are welcome to go with the finery, or something less. 

Only a year or so ago you would be in a small minority if you didn't conform to the crowd. 

15 hours ago, lagrutke said:

Thank you in advance!

Kathy

We have been on many European and Med cruises and never noticed much difference in the dress then on other Princess cruises.  We have seen over the years where there are less and less formal wear being worn by men and women and also Princess is not really enforcing a strict dress code any more it seems.

Wear what you will be comfortable in that matches what Princess calls now "dressing elegantly."  They have really dropped "formal".  There are still many on Princess who love to say you will be in the minority if you do not dress in proper formal attire but the reality is you will be in the majority.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

This is so true.  Princess does not even rent them onboard like they use to!!

I don't think many cruise lines do any more. But that does not mean that people no longer wear formal attire. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I don't think many cruise lines do any more. But that does not mean that people no longer wear formal attire. 

They do not do it because the demand is not there for the amount of time and energy the cruise lines have to invest in renting.  Casual dress is the new normal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Huh?  Don't understand.  Formal tuxes and such have been a minority for years.  

I was thinking guys in blazers/suit jackets on formal nights.

Now it's common to see them in dockers/dress shirt/polo, etc. 

Edited by MissP22