Champagne

nasus2

Although Cattier was on the wine list there was none available in February or April.  They had another brand that we had not heard of and I cant recall the name, it was ok but would have preferred Moutadon or Cattier.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, toddmanka said:

We were on equinox in June and the premiium Champagne was Chandon Brut  The days of Moutadon are gone

Chandon Brut isn’t a champagne though …… it’s a sparking wine and definitely doesn’t taste like a true champagne 

it has to come from the champagne region of France to be called champagne 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We're not big Champagne drinkers, so we're OK with whatever they have (in general). I'd probably rather have a good Cava for the money anyway...

And Chandon Brut isn't a "Champagne" but a California sparkling wine made in the Méthode champenoise. 

We sailed last month and I wanted the Cattier since they no longer have Montaudon. They told me that Chandon is on the premium package, which it is, but I wanted champagne and not sparkling wine, especially if paying for the premium package. They did find Cattier sometime during the cruise, but also had something called Blue Top, which was pretty good. Who knows what is there now. Some people were very upset. One night the sommelier stood next to me and thanked me for not being mad at him while others were going off on his boss after they yelled at him. We sail in a couple of weeks and I have no idea what to expect 

33 minutes ago, 39august said:

Hope for Heisdick Blue Top on Equinox in late July. Marco, then at the Sky Lounge, provided it to me last Sept. So much better then Chandon. 

I love Blue Top. It’s an excellent champagne. I also enjoy Domain Chandon, which is quite good, especially at its (non shipboard) price point. 

4 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We sailed last month and I wanted the Cattier since they no longer have Montaudon. They told me that Chandon is on the premium package, which it is, but I wanted champagne and not sparkling wine, especially if paying for the premium package. They did find Cattier sometime during the cruise, but also had something called Blue Top, which was pretty good. Who knows what is there now. Some people were very upset. One night the sommelier stood next to me and thanked me for not being mad at him while others were going off on his boss after they yelled at him. We sail in a couple of weeks and I have no idea what to expect 

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, yell at someone on the ship who has absolutely no control over what is ordered, what the suppliers have or how stock is allocated.

I find it disheartening that some ( mostly new X cruisers) seem to feel it is ok to berate the staff for things they have no control, over.  We have seen it multiple times on our cruises since the restart.  

• Like 1

My wife and I were in a sky suite on a cruise last month. We had not used our butler at all. Halfway through the cruise, he asked us if there was anything that he could do for us. I said that a bottle of champagne every once in awhile would be nice. After that, there was a bottle of champagne in our cabin waiting for us every other night. One night, when we didn't have a bottle, we ordered one. We were never charged for any of the champagne. Is this because it is included with the suite? Is it because it is included with the premium package? Or was our butler just being nice (even though it was somebody else who delivered the bottle of champagne that one night?

Thanks in advance for the information. 🙂

• Like 1

Hello,

Last month, June 2022, I gave the Bar Manager on Silhouette a stern talking too. I said when I ask for either Champagne or Prosecco I want Champagne or Prosecco. I don't mind being offered something different, but not served it in lieu of what I asked for.

To my simple mind, the person responsible for this is the bar manager/supervisor or whoever is responsible for training. Either there has been no training on the difference between Champagne, Prosecco, Chandon or the swill that appears in Concierge cabins, or they have been told to ignore any request and to serve, depending on availability, in reverse order from the list in the previous sentence.

In the early days of the cruise, I perched myself where I could see what was being served (and to stop it if I saw it was wrong) until I was recognised and the barmen knew exactly what I wanted.

Regards,

Cublet

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, yell at someone on the ship who has absolutely no control over what is ordered, what the suppliers have or how stock is allocated.

I find it disheartening that some ( mostly new X cruisers) seem to feel it is ok to berate the staff for things they have no control, over.  We have seen it multiple times on our cruises since the restart.  

Hello,

See my previous post: Whilst the bar staff are not responsible for what is on board, the bar staff alone are responsible for what they pour.

Regards,

Cublet

Cattier was scarce on Silhouette in February. Some bartenders would squirrel it away for my friend and I who they came to know always wanted a glass when we came by. You must watch as the Chandon is often tried. It's ok if you've already had a few. On Millennium in March, there was a little Cattier and then through March it switched to Monopole Blue Top. It's a good champagne, in fact I had brought some onboard as part of my bottles allowed. You can also pre-order Perrier-Jouet via the gifts department, or it's provided in the RS and up.  

On 7/9/2022 at 1:52 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

Last month, June 2022, I gave the Bar Manager on Silhouette a stern talking too. I said when I ask for either Champagne or Prosecco I want Champagne or Prosecco. I don't mind being offered something different, but not served it in lieu of what I asked for.

To my simple mind, the person responsible for this is the bar manager/supervisor or whoever is responsible for training. Either there has been no training on the difference between Champagne, Prosecco, Chandon or the swill that appears in Concierge cabins, or they have been told to ignore any request and to serve, depending on availability, in reverse order from the list in the previous sentence.

In the early days of the cruise, I perched myself where I could see what was being served (and to stop it if I saw it was wrong) until I was recognised and the barmen knew exactly what I wanted.

Regards,

Cublet

“A stern talking to”.  😂 You sound like a blast, I’m sure the staff loved serving you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, kikitaz said:

“A stern talking to”.  😂 You sound like a blast, I’m sure the staff loved serving you. 

Hello,

You misunderstand.

The Bar Manager was a guy in a suit and white shirt that you see walking about the place and doing nothing in particular - and certainly not serving.

The bar staff, black waistcoats & shirts, once they understood what I was asking for, were good people.

Regards,

Cublet

On 7/13/2022 at 1:30 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

You misunderstand.

The Bar Manager was a guy in a suit and white shirt that you see walking about the place and doing nothing in particular - and certainly not serving.

The bar staff, black waistcoats & shirts, once they understood what I was asking for, were good people.

Regards,

Cublet

Ahhhhh...but were YOU a good person?  

Edited by kikitaz
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2022 at 7:52 AM, cublet said:

Hello,

or the swill that appears in Concierge cabins, or they have been told to ignore any request and to serve, depending on availability, in reverse order from the list in the previous sentence.

The bright pink fizz that was delivered to us on Beyond concierge class was undrinkable IMO.

From others on CC i've learnt we should of asked for something else, but didn't realise how awful it was until we had opened it and taken a sip. 

Edited by sgmn

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

The bright pink fizz that was delivered to us on Beyond concierge class was undrinkable IMO.

From others on CC i've learnt we should of asked for something else, but didn't realise how awful it was until we had opened it and taken a sip. 

Hello,

The worst pink fizz I have ever tasted was Russian Pink 'Champagne' - but that was in the days prior to the break-up of the Soviet Union.

Given Russia's current foray westwards it might be able lay claim to own real Champagne before long.

Regards,

Cublet