Smoking in bathrooms during Covid isolation

zitsky

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

On another website someone claimed “the” cruise lines allow pax with Covid to smoke in their bathrooms during isolation.  Has anyone heard about this or has direct experience?  I am not a smoker.  I did a search on that website but I didn’t find any confirmation of that story.

My understanding is this is correct.

4 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I remember Jim's post.  I think it took guts to spill the beans about his travel partner.  I am sure once the cleaning crew got done, no one knew the difference.  

My last cruise was 2 years ago.  I don’t remember if there is a fan in the bathroom?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

My last cruise was 2 years ago.  I don’t remember if there is a fan in the bathroom?

It's a shipwide 'vacuum' system, not individual fans.  All you will see in the head is the intake vent.

7 hours ago, canderson said:

Jim will probably pipe up soon enough, but during one of their isolation periods, Jim reported that Iain was permitted to smoke in the bathroom.

Yup.... we were told that Iain could smoke on the Balcony and the retreat Manager even sent up an ashtray.  He told us that he could smoke in the bathroom or on the balcony.    It may have bee that we were in isolation for only one day -   I have never seen anything in writing.

Iain's a polite smoker and if they had said no he would have complied.   He does travel with nicotine patches and gum.   I'm the one that have a tenancy to bend rules . . . LOL

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

First, I did not make the claim.  I’m just asking about it.

Second, I like your user name because it always makes me smile.  It reminds me of a certain South Park episode.  🙂

With apologies, I have no idea how that post appeared in this thread - wasn't intended

21 hours ago, Torfamm said:

It might be wise for people who will really struggle with being confined to a cabin, whether it’s about claustrophobia, smoking, or whatever,  to think twice about cruising right now.  It could happen to any of us

Covid's been with us for over 2 years now.  So how long does one wait??  I am 70 years old (in good health fortunately and quadruple vaxxed) and at my age don't know how many years I have left for travel.  Hopefully many but who knows.  This is not going away anytime soon, although hopefully at some point soon they will begin to quarantine in original cabins like they do for noro.  In the meantime, as much as I would hate being quarantined in an outside cabin (or heaven forbid an inside), I feel like I have to take the chance as cruising during retirement is something I've looked forward to for the more than 40 years since I first sailed.  If I keep waiting, I literally may never have the chance as experts say this will be with us for many years.  In the meantime, I just wish they would be more generous with quarantining people in balcony cabins as even the CDC recommends.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I can confirm that this is the case, at least on RCI. Caught Covid on Ovation, and letter that was given to us specifically said that we could smoke in our bathroom (NOT on the balcony). 

And no, we’re not smokers so didn’t take them up on it 😊

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

First, I did not make the claim.  I’m just asking about it.

Second, I like your user name because it always makes me smile.  It reminds me of a certain South Park episode.  🙂

The one with big gay Al and his big gay animal sanctuary? 

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, canderson said:

Go ahead and get hooked, then try the patch/gum solution cold turkey, and let us know how that works out for you.

That's how we quit..years ago,

Most who get Covid have a bad cough, breathing issues.

Can't  see that smoking would help that.

A quick puff or two in the bathroom with a fan, or on a balc  might work ok...hopefully  smoke would disapate into fresh air..and not affect others on their balcs,. But the gum would be better

Edited by hcat
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

That's how we quit..years ago,

Most who get Covid have a bad cough, breathing issues.

Can't  see that smoking would help that.

A quick puff or two on a balc  might work ok...hopefully  smoke would disapate into fresh air..and not affect others on their balcs,. But the gum would be better

It would effect us. You can't hide the stench no matter the amount of puffs. :classic_rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

His husband. 

I'm ok with Partner.    Over the past 33 years we have been Partners, Domestic Partners, Significant Others. California Only Legally Married and finally Fully married in the eyes of the Fed's 

When we were legal only in California the IRS made us file a a Partnership -  What  a mess we had to prepare 4 different tax returns.  and file as both married to the state and a "business partnership" for the feds.

• Like 1

I have to agree with some about quitting.    I quite about 35 years ago and just cold turkey.   You all know that us X smokers are far worse than non-smokers about complaining about 2nd hand smoke.

Sunnyvale where we live has an ordinance that any property that is attached to another Townhouses, Condos, Apartments, hotels etc.  can not smoke inside their home.   I'm president of our HOA and we also do not permit it anywhere on our ground.   For the past 5 years when Iain wants a cigarette he has to go out to the city sidewalk to have a smoke.   Yea.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm ok with Partner.    Over the past 33 years we have been Partners, Domestic Partners, Significant Others. California Only Legally Married and finally Fully married in the eyes of the Fed's 

When we were legal only in California the IRS made us file a a Partnership -  What  a mess we had to prepare 4 different tax returns.  and file as both married to the state and a "business partnership" for the feds.

Significant other was the worst way to trivialize a relationship.

Jim, when were you married?  We were married in San Francisco in 2004.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Significant other was the worst way to trivialize a relationship.

Jim, when were you married?  We were married in San Francisco in 2004.

We were married at San Francisco City Hall June 30, 2008 just after the Supreme Court of California ruled that same sex marriage violated California Constitution.   It was a wonderful day with  my Sister, Daughter and Iain's Aunt from Scotland in attendance.  Officially we were only permitted 2 guests but they turned their eye on it.

There was then a Proposition that made it illegal again on November 5, 2008. Our marriage was Grandfathered by the California Supreme Court and in June 26, 2015 the Supreme Court struck down state bans on Gay Marriage.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You do you. I am cool with that. And I will do myself. 🙂

I am drunk, what were we talking about?