Need advice on disembark from Rome port.

Branfsu

Planning our June 2023 RCI cruise out of Rome and hoping to get reassurance from this board. My documents state that our ship will arrive in port at 5:00am. I'm planning on having our transfer pick us up at 6:00am (cabroma). Hope to get to the airport no later than 8:00 for 10:05 flight. I realize the drive isn't 2 hours long, but figure I need the cushion.

If the ship arrives on time is it realistic that they will allow self departure by 6am?

Stuff happens, never know may not get off until after 8am.........Be great if you get off the ship at 6am though. I say have your driver there at 6am with the meter running so you know he sticks around for you.....

Might cost you extra but it's  a safer option in my opinion.

Check out the Italy forum .....this question is asked and answered many times, along with shuttle recommendations..   

(the most common response is that FCO is chaos; arrive 3 hrs prior; 10:30/11am is the earliest flight time recommended)

Do yourself a favor...stay the night before at a hotel by the port..Civitavecchi.  Who knows what can happen with the flights, even next year. For us 10+  years ago we took a few days in Rome and enjoyed the sights then stayed over night at Civiavecchi.  We were relaxed when we arrived at the port.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Branfsu said:

Hope to get to the airport no later than 8:00 for 10:05 flight.

Unless you're flying within the Schengen area, you'd probably better have a plan B. I've seen a couple of recent reports of people missing their flights even arriving 3 hours before.

We’re on Odyssey May 2023 out of FCO so I’ve been researching and just booked our flights.  Some recent posts showed Civi self disembark starting at 6:30.  1 hour to port and then through FCO.  No way I’d do a flight before 11/11:30.  In fact, we’re driving down to JFK (4.5 hours), because they have a 12:50 return rather than go out of Boston (1 hour from us) with a 10:30 departure.   Also, you’re assuming flight times won’t change between now and June 2023.  We’ve flown several times since COVID shut down and I don’t think we’ve had a flight time not change. I wouldn’t do it.

7 hours ago, Branfsu said:

Planning our June 2023 RCI cruise out of Rome and hoping to get reassurance from this board. My documents state that our ship will arrive in port at 5:00am. I'm planning on having our transfer pick us up at 6:00am (cabroma). Hope to get to the airport no later than 8:00 for 10:05 flight. I realize the drive isn't 2 hours long, but figure I need the cushion.

If the ship arrives on time is it realistic that they will allow self departure by 6am?

What ship and date?  Currently looking at the Symphony June 18th. 

• 8 months later...
On 7/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Did it recently on Wonder of the Seas and had no problem with 10:05 flight.

Considering a 10:40am flight from FCO. How were the check in and security lines? Did you walk off right at 6:30am and use a private transfer company? Thanks.

29 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

Considering a 10:40am flight from FCO. How were the check in and security lines? Did you walk off right at 6:30am and use a private transfer company? Thanks.

Longest security and checkin line I have ever been in was at FCO. Airport says says three hours for International flights, they mean it. I have heard of people being in line for close to three hours and missing their flights.  FYI... FCO does have a fast track service for checkin. Runs around $8 per person and can cut time by close to a hour.   

Does FCO have fast track?

At Rome (FCO) Airport you will be Fast Track or Expedite through immigrations and customs upon international arrival or Fast Track or Expedite through check in and security upon your departure.

55 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Longest security and checkin line I have ever been in was at FCO. Airport says says three hours for International flights, they mean it. I have heard of people being in line for close to three hours and missing their flights.  FYI... FCO does have a fast track service for checkin. Runs around $8 per person and can cut time by close to a hour.   

At Rome (FCO) Airport you will be Fast Track or Expedite through immigrations and customs upon international arrival or Fast Track or Expedite through check in and security upon your departure.

What is Fast Track and where do you get it/purchase it?

On 7/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, Branfsu said:

Thank you everyone for all the input. I changed my departure flight and now flying out at 1:20 instead of 10:05.

Much better timing, and you don’t have to end your cruise hurried and potentially stressed. 🙂

48 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

What is Fast Track and where do you get it/purchase it?

image.jpeg.09695975a82f58c14b297b2684b408d0.jpeg
The dedicated fast track channel allows the passenger easier and faster access to the security checkpoints. The cost is 7 Euro per passenger (free for ...

Two return trips from Rome and the lines were looooooong.  Last return trip I was talking to a guy in the bar at the Atlanta airport layover heading back to LAX.  Mentioned the very long lines at FCO and he said.... why didn't you use fast track.  DUH, never heard of it and have not been to Rome since.. 
Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Thank you very much for the tip! I am already stressed about it but we are going for it. Figure if I can walk off ship at 6:30, worst case at airport at 8:30 for a 10:40 departure. Will definitely purchase fast track. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

Thank you very much for the tip! I am already stressed about it but we are going for it. Figure if I can walk off ship at 6:30, worst case at airport at 8:30 for a 10:40 departure. Will definitely purchase fast track. Thank you!

We have an 11 am flight arranged by Royal’s Sea2Air. They said we could get a transfer from them so apparently they believe the time is doable. We opted for a private transfer but I think we’ll look into the fast track as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rg123 said:

We have an 11 am flight arranged by Royal’s Sea2Air. They said we could get a transfer from them so apparently they believe the time is doable. We opted for a private transfer but I think we’ll look into the fast track as well. 

I also opted for a private transfer. What date is your departure from FCO? Mine is 7/2. 

Just now, Nolefan95 said:

I also opted for a private transfer. What date is your departure from FCO? Mine is 7/2. 

Not till Oct 15. I am a planner and don’t like last minute surprises. 😆

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nolefan95 said:

I imagine they’ll be less travelers during October too. I’ll let you know how it goes for me in July. 

Thanks! Have a wonderful cruise and safe travels.

11 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:
The dedicated fast track channel allows the passenger easier and faster access to the security checkpoints. The cost is 7 Euro per passenger (free for ...

Two return trips from Rome and the lines were looooooong.  Last return trip I was talking to a guy in the bar at the Atlanta airport layover heading back to LAX.  Mentioned the very long lines at FCO and he said.... why didn't you use fast track.  DUH, never heard of it and have not been to Rome since.. 

Thank you!

12 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Thanks for this info.!  We have a cruise booked out of Rome for July 2024 so I am saving this.