Are US dollars accepted in Canada?

vivienne-j

Hi folks

We are on a cruise to Canada in September/October, and fine-tuning our needs now.  We have lots of US dollars left over from previous US holidays, but no Canadian dollars.  We won't need much - enough for tour guide tips, the odd coffee, etc.  Are we able to use US dollars in Canada?  I realise there's a difference in the exchange rate (about 1 Canadian to .77 US)  but just looking at it at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Vivienne

Yes and no.  Depends on where you are.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal - probably most places will accept them, but don't automatically expect exchange rate.  There is no requirement to give you exchange, and you will only ever get Canadian money as change.

Also, don't just routinely expect that all stores or coffee shops will accept them.  They may not.

There is no universal rule.  Canada is proudly not the USA or "America".

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Yes and no.  Depends on where you are.

Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal - probably most places will accept them, but don't automatically expect exchange rate.  There is no requirement to give you exchange, and you will only ever get Canadian money as change.

Also, don't just routinely expect that all stores or coffee shops will accept them.  They may not.

There is no universal rule.  Canada is proudly not the USA or "America".

Agreed. In Montreal,  USA  dollars will be accepted.  But no great exchange rate. 

You may be able to convert on the ship

Canada is not the same country as the US, so generally most places will want the country’s own currency, just like your local pub would probably prefer pounds rather than US$ or Cdn$.

As mentioned above, at best you will get stores in tourist areas that will accept US$ at a really bad exchange rate or perhaps even at par with Cdn$.  You are best to get some Cdn$ for your trip if you plan to spend a lot or are venturing outside of the tourist zones in major cities.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainBazz said:

Either, exchange your US$ at your local bank before you leave...or bring your US$ and go to the first bank you see in Canada and exchange them. Then you will have no problems.

If your cruise starts in the US, you might get your best exchange rate there. You might also want to try exchanging your USD for CAD onboard your ship. 

Some shops  in the port cities will take USD   but  ask first

If you have a  CC with no foreign transaction  fees  just use it

Tips are tricky  not everyone will use USD as they may not travel to the USA  or they have to pay the exchange rate  at their back & will get less than what you give  them

You could always tip the crew  with USD   they will be happy with them

enjoy the cruise

6 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

I agree with CaptainBazz, just go to a bank and exchange the USD for CDN.  Problem solved.  There are also places that exchange currency

Find a Canadian onboard and ask them whether they'd trade some currency.  Me, I'd take 85USD for 100CAD.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

🤣  Most banks would sell them CA$100 for US$78.

Well, I'm providing a substantial convenience; no need to waste time looking for a bank, answering questions about whether he has an account with them, having to consider whether he needs to or should wear a mask... probably a whole host of other petty annoyances that can be avoided by dealing directly with me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Well, I'm providing a substantial convenience; no need to waste time looking for a bank, answering questions about whether he has an account with them, having to consider whether he needs to or should wear a mask... probably a whole host of other petty annoyances that can be avoided by dealing directly with me.

Good point.  Some banks may not offer an exchange if you don't have an account with them.  Best to find a money exchange place.  Might get better rates too.  I am more than happy to give you CND at par. 🤣

• Haha 3

Like most of the suggestions, I think you’d be better using Canadian currency, especially if you plan to only buy small items. I don’t know what cities you’re visiting and you don’t really want to spend your port time finding a bank or currency exchange business.  The ship may well exchange your US dollars to Canadian currency. You could try your own banks at home, or a currency exchange service at the airport before you leave.  Most places of business in Canada take Visa or Mastercard…American Express is iffy.   Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

Yes. US currency is accepted by most establishments in Canada. Especially in the touristy areas, the exchange rate ( don't expect a great rate) will be prominently displayed at the checkout counter. Since, change will be provided in Canadian currency, I suggest you buy a snack at say 7-11, give them $20 US and you will receive Canadian $$ in change. 

As for tipping, US dollars will be fine. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stairMaster said:

Yes. US currency is accepted by most establishments in Canada. Especially in the touristy areas, the exchange rate ( don't expect a great rate) will be prominently displayed at the checkout counter.

I would disagree with this.  In tourist areas where American tourists are common, many places would likely accept $US.  But aside from such areas I would not say that “most establishments” in Canada would accept US currency.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, thon said:

I would disagree with this.  In tourist areas where American tourists are common, many places would likely accept $US.  But aside from such areas I would not say that “most establishments” in Canada would accept US currency.

Indeed. Swap the countries and currency, your comment holds true.

On 7/17/2022 at 4:39 AM, CGinMTL said:

Agreed. In Montreal,  USA  dollars will be accepted.  But no great exchange rate. 

You may be able to convert on the ship

Better rate at a Bank   Am dollar is about 30% higher than CDN  minus bank fees

9 hours ago, stairMaster said:

As for tipping, US dollars will be fine. 

I don’t agree. Most people never need to go into a bank branch, as you can deposit bills of currency in an ATM. I don’t think you can do that with US$. So unless a very touristy establishment where they get lots of US$ tips, it would be a pain for the person you are tipping to deal with. Its fine to tip on bord with US$, but I wouldn’t do it on shore. 

• Like 3

I am guessing the OP is doing an East coast cruise  so many of the ports will be fine  with USD

They are used to Americans  on the cruises

They are in the UK so maybe exchanging USD to CAD  is more of a problem

Most of the ports  have an ATM  near the port building where they could get some CAD for tour guide tips   otherwise  use a CC for shopping

Give the crew tips in USD

They will also be stopping in some US  ports so can use the USD there

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 6:26 AM, vivienne-j said:

Hi folks

We are on a cruise to Canada in September/October, and fine-tuning our needs now. 

Vivienne

What ports  will you be stopping it  then we can advise you better ?

9 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

What ports  will you be stopping it  then we can advise you better ?

Ports are:

St. John's, NL

Québec, QC

Saguenay, QC

Charlottetown, PE

Les Îles de la Madeleine, QC

Halifax, NS

Sydney, NS

All are areas that get a lot of American tourists and are very used to dealing in USD, which is advantageous for them as they get a better exchange rate than they give to the tourist.

23 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I don’t agree. Most people never need to go into a bank branch, as you can deposit bills of currency in an ATM. I don’t think you can do that with US$. So unless a very touristy establishment where they get lots of US$ tips, it would be a pain for the person you are tipping to deal with. Its fine to tip on bord with US$, but I wouldn’t do it on shore. 

A neighbour's son while in college loved getting tipped in USD because of exchange rate. Going inside the bank to make a deposit was no issue as everyone else was lined up to use an ATM. 

Hi - what a lot of replies!  Many thanks to everyone.

Yes, it's the east coast, so St Johns NF, Gaspe, Quebec (two whole days!), Saguenay, Charlottetown, Iles de la Madelaine, Halifax, Sydney NS.  Not stopping in the US - just Canada.

The suggestion to tip on board in US$ is a good one.  Will convert some US$ to CAD before we sail.

Again, many thanks, everyone 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

The OP was asking if it was acceptable to tip in USD in Canada. The answer is definitely Yes!!  I would not recommend going out of one's way to convert USD to Canadian dollars so they can tip in the local currency while on shore. 

• Like 1