CDC Ends Cruise Line Program as of 7/18/22

Btimmer

Hopefully this means that cruise lines will offer you the option of staying in your cabin. (I do think the option of moving should be given for protection of other family members).  I do think testing before cruising is wise, but I wouldn’t complain if mandatory testing were eliminated.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

But it does say that new guidance will be available in a few days.

I assumed it means they will be issuing guidance as they would on any public health topic.  They have guidance pages on immunizations, nursing homes and even first aid kits.   I am more curious to read the cruise line’s new guidelines 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Looks like Wall Street knew this was coming - CCL stock ended today about 5% higher but not much after-market price movement currently as of 6:55 PM now.

I assume this also. CLIA was ready with remarks.  I read the remarks in one of the news articles.  So much for insider trading😉

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Maybe we will see the end of pre-cruise testing.   So many reports of people testing positive, but very few reports of anyone getting really sick.    

Because by time people get sick, they're kicked off the ship or voyage is over already

You don't really get sick (if you do) till 5-7+ days after onset of symptoms 

Pre cruise testing isn't going anywhere when countries in carribean requires it as well as Canada and pretty much everywhere.

Most Europe countries  also requires it if you aren't boosted as well..so it's not going anywhere anytime soon

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gilboman said:

Pre cruise testing isn't going anywhere when countries in carribean requires it as well as Canada and pretty much everywhere.

This is incorrect. Numerous ports in the Caribbean have dropped ALL protocols.

Here is a list of places in the Caribbean with absolutely no protocols. No vaccine requirement. No testing requirement. Wide open. The list grows daily. 

Mexico

Belize

Costa Rica

Aruba

Bahamas

Barbados

Bonaire

Tortolla

Virgin Gorda

Curaco

Dominican Republic

Grenada

Haiti

Jamaica

Puerto Rico

Cuba

Trinidad

Tobago 

These currently allow unvaccinated but require a test

US Virgin islands

St Lucia

St Vincent

St Martin

St Barts

Dominica

There are only few islands remaining that require vaccination

Grand Cayman

Turks and Caicos

Antigua

Martinique

St Kitts

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, gilboman said:

Most Europe countries  also requires it if you aren't boosted as well..so it's not going anywhere anytime soon

This is also incorrect. Here is a partial list of countries that do not require any covid protocols. No vaccine. No testing. No Quarantine. No Boost. Wide open. The list grows daily

Cypris

Italy

Turkey

Balarus

Germany

Egypt

Finland

South Africa

Mauritius

Portugal

Malta

Mexico

El Salvador

Norway

Slovenia

Iceland

Jordan

Ireland
Hungry

Romania

Saudi Arabia

Montenegro

United Kingdom

Maldives

Sweden

Poland

Denmark

ARgentina

Greece

Switzerland

Croatia

Gibralter

Austria

Isreal

Belgum

Chili

I left a bunch of countries off the list, but I believe there are more countries in Europe that are wide open than there are who are requiring boosters. The list of wide open countries grows daily. You can track it here if interested: 

https://www.traveloffpath.com/countries-without-any-travel-restrictions-or-entry-requirements/

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

My hunch is that the sentiment among the cruise customers swings towards no testing and no masking.  There seems to be more support for the vaccine mandate at least for adults.  I would even go as far as saying the anti testing/anti masking sentiment is so high that cruisers will disdain countries that enforce such mandates and soon those countries will no longer be desired as destinations and the cruise lines will change itinerary .  Those countries will quickly adjust.  No country is in such fine economic shape that they can afford to turn away dollars.  The US dollar is strong right now and tourism is a good way to secure those dollars .   The people who support stringent measures need to understand the reality of the balance between food and safety.  People are willing to tolerate stringent measures as long as food and goods are readily available.  Consider Sri Lanka.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

My hunch is that the sentiment among the cruise customers swings towards no testing and no masking.  There seems to be more support for the vaccine mandate at least for adults.  I would even go as far as saying the anti testing/anti masking sentiment is so high that cruisers will disdain countries that enforce such mandates and soon those countries will no longer be desired as destinations and the cruise lines will change itinerary .  Those countries will quickly adjust.  No country is in such fine economic shape that they can afford to turn away dollars.  The US dollar is strong right now and tourism is a good way to secure those dollars .   The people who support stringent measures need to understand the reality of the balance between food and safety.  People are willing to tolerate stringent measures as long as food and goods are readily available.  Consider Sri Lanka.

In both of my Zaandam post cruise surveys I stated that whichever cruise line removes the testing requirement will get my business in 2023. The only requirement I’d tolerate is vaccination.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

In both of my Zaandam post cruise surveys I stated that whichever cruise line removes the testing requirement will get my business in 2023. The only requirement I’d tolerate is vaccination.

I suspect the spoils will go to the line which removes the testing.   I have always thought the lines did passenger testing to control entry (didn’t work) to protect the crew who were forced to be tested and forced to be quarantined by the CDC.  If they don’t need to be testing their crew they will soon quit testing passengers.  That is the key IMHO

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is incorrect. Numerous ports in the Caribbean have dropped ALL protocols.

Here is a list of places in the Caribbean with absolutely no protocols. No vaccine requirement. No testing requirement. Wide open. The list grows daily. 

Mexico

Belize

Costa Rica

Aruba

Bahamas

Barbados

Bonaire

Tortolla

Virgin Gorda

Curaco

Dominican Republic

Grenada

Haiti

Jamaica

Puerto Rico

Cuba

Trinidad

Tobago 

These currently allow unvaccinated but require a test

US Virgin islands

St Lucia

St Vincent

St Martin

St Barts

Dominica

There are only few islands remaining that require vaccination

Grand Cayman

Turks and Caicos

Antigua

Martinique

St Kitts

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

Yup...so the major Carribean cruise ports will require them like Cayman,

And also cruises may have different protocols

Also fyi Cuba has randomized testing on arrival..so you need to check your sources 

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

I'm very hopeful that the cruise lines will be able to transition away from the CDC expecting them to be Nurse Ratched, and  back to the hospitality and vacation business.    

Yep and if you get a little feverish, bring out Grandma's chicken soup and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1

I'm at sea right now, and the single worst thing about the voyage is the mask requirement and the incessant announcements on masking.  I wonder how long it will take the change in CDC guidance to trickle down through Seattle and out to the ships?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

I'm at sea right now, and the single worst thing about the voyage is the mask requirement and the incessant announcements on masking.  I wonder how long it will take the change in CDC guidance to trickle down through Seattle and out to the ships?

HAL is a business.  They can require masking if they wish. They can require a dress code if they wish.

• Like 5