Husband is worried about quarantine

zitsky

5 hours ago, the penguins said:

As you can see lots of variables. We have annual travel insurance which covers us for an unlimited number of trips worldwide in a year provided each trip is no longer than 30 days. Extra days at a premium..We are both over 75 with pre existing health issues all of which are covered. The company has its own appointed travel agency. One number accesses all services. All costs met direct no prepayment required. Policy covers cancellation, medical, flights, baggage even mobile phones (and in the UK and Europe car breakdown cover). Total cost for 2 people approx 💲325 for the year.

Are you willing to share the company? That sounds awfully inexpensive for that much coverage

4 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

No way does X move you to a suite for isolation!  From what I am reading on CC,  you get an Oceanview Cabin.

Did you miss all the

🥸😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🥸

Sorry.  I keep forgetting that not everyone has my sense of humor.  Even my partner hates it sometimes.  He’s a saint.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the penguins said:

As you can see lots of variables. We have annual travel insurance which covers us for an unlimited number of trips worldwide in a year provided each trip is no longer than 30 days. Extra days at a premium..We are both over 75 with pre existing health issues all of which are covered. The company has its own appointed travel agency. One number accesses all services. All costs met direct no prepayment required. Policy covers cancellation, medical, flights, baggage even mobile phones (and in the UK and Europe car breakdown cover). Total cost for 2 people approx 💲325 for the year.

Our travel insurer (very happy with since over 30 years) is now changing conditions and will only pay 1 insured event due to pandemic going forward.

More European insurers trying to get out of paying claims due to pandemic vs epidemic. 

Edited by Michidoeme

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Are you willing to share the company? That sounds awfully inexpensive for that much coverage

Sorry I thought I had, it's Nationwide (not the same as the Nationwide in the US). However it's only available to UK residents but I understand from friends in the US and on other posts there are similar products available in the US. The value is outstanding, our policy runs June to June and at present that will cover 4 vacations including 4 cruises and flights to/from the US. Our biggest claim so far was for 💲20,000 which covered a 2 night stay for both of us in the Marina del Rae Hospital in LA, new flights LA to Auckland, additional meds and 2 nights extra hotel. Our next year's premium was not increased. With the exception of the meds and hotel (the room had to be kept while we were in hospital as our bags were in it) all the other costs were paid direct by the Insurance company and we claimed back the other bits (about 💲300) on our return. Hopefully another CC member will be able to point you in the right direction for a similar policy in the US.

43 minutes ago, Michidoeme said:

Our travel insurer (very happy with since over 30 years) is now changing conditions and will only pay 1 insured event due to pandemic going forward.

More European insurers trying to get out of paying claims due to pandemic vs epidemic. 

Not an issue with ours all Covid costs covered.

9 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Poster is in the UK.   I think insurance there is much different.

One big difference ours (UK) adds medical, cancellation etc into 1 policy. However, as I said,  friends in the US have said that there are similar annual insurances available in the US and hopefully other CC members will be willing to post details.

I assume there is no need to provide continual testing anymore? Or is providing a negative PCR still a requirement to embark? The former being the case then I see no real reason to worry about being quarantined. Especially if you are vaccinated then contracting COVID should be (hopefully) no worse than a couple of days feeling lousy with no need to alert a medic, and unless you actually test then you likely will not know you indeed are positive. In which case, simply go about your business as you would when you feel under the weather, be it staying in your room or cracking on with your holiday regardless.

It baffles me that cruise ships seem to have such a stigma attached to it when it comes to these types of things. Its really no different than booking into a large hotel for a few days.

If people are genuinely worried about contracting COVID then I suggest (regrettably) a floating hotel isn't for you right now.

1 hour ago, JonoBhoy said:

I assume there is no need to provide continual testing anymore? Or is providing a negative PCR still a requirement to embark? The former being the case then I see no real reason to worry about being quarantined. Especially if you are vaccinated then contracting COVID should be (hopefully) no worse than a couple of days feeling lousy with no need to alert a medic, and unless you actually test then you likely will not know you indeed are positive. In which case, simply go about your business as you would when you feel under the weather, be it staying in your room or cracking on with your holiday regardless.

It baffles me that cruise ships seem to have such a stigma attached to it when it comes to these types of things. Its really no different than booking into a large hotel for a few days.

If people are genuinely worried about contracting COVID then I suggest (regrettably) a floating hotel isn't for you right now.

Your assumption is good.  Cruise ships and any crowded venue could be a source of infection.  Many people have been vaxed and boostered. They read that most people are safe. If they get Covid, it’ll be mild.  They have become tried of not traveling.  They want to get out and have fun.  They remember life before the pandemic. If they were cruisers before the pandemic, they will likely book a cruise. We did.  We booked, got canceled, and rebooked many times during the pandemic. We finally went in June….vaxed, double boostered, masked, attempted to avoid crowds, etc.  regardless got Covid. Getting sick is never pleasant.  Not exactly how you want to spend your vacation.  Good luck, be careful.  

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

There are such policies in the US, just cost way more than you are quoting.

Do any of your bank's checking accounts (our current accounts) have similar deals? Although we use Nationwide there are other banks here that offer similar deals. It's  just that because we travel the Nationwide deal works for us, if we didn't we would look at some of the alternatives. Even if the deals you have a more they must be cheaper than insuring each trip individually. 

2 hours ago, JonoBhoy said:

Clearly not the same as booking into a large hotel in fact better as on the ship you know that everyone has been vaccinated and tested negative just prior to boarding.

17 hours ago, canderson said:

Being vaccinated doesn't prevent you from testing positive.

Agree 100% -   I'm starting to feel like the current vaccination prevents you from serious complications but provide minimal protection from testing positive.   

Just my opinion being up to date with vax and testing positive and know so many others that are up to date with 4 shots and still are getting it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree 100% -   I'm starting to feel like the current vaccination prevents you from serious complications but provide minimal protection from testing positive.   

Just my opinion being up to date with vax and testing positive and know so many others that are up to date with 4 shots and still are getting it. 

Exactly what the vaccines were designed to do - prevent serious illness and reduce the death rates. Anything else was/is a bonus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

In our case, your thoughts on this are correct. My husband tested positive post land tour in Alaska one month after his second Pfizer booster. I then tested positive on July 23 and I had the second Moderna booster on June 27. Neither of us are very sick, no fever, aches. Just typical summer cold symptoms for a few days. Maybe the boosters helped us from becoming very Ill but it was enough to cancel the cruise. A year ago we were told that the vaccines would prevent COVID. I was sicker after the 2nd, 3rd and 4th boosters with a fever of 101.

Edited by Gia2cats
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Gia2cats said:

A year ago we were told that the vaccines would prevent COVID. I

You were misinformed , Covid vaccine was to  prevent serious illness from Covid 

Here the Ontario government number from last week comparing people in the hospital, unvaccinated and people with at least 2 doses 

D92F0A59-76F0-4DAA-8147-F689308AE6D3.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

You were misinformed , Covid vaccine was to  prevent serious illness from Covid 

Here the Ontario government number from last week comparing people in the hospital, unvaccinated and people with at least 2 doses 

D92F0A59-76F0-4DAA-8147-F689308AE6D3.jpeg

Don’t want to get in to quoting anyone here in authority,  but here in the US, exactly 1 year ago, we were told that COVID is a “disease of the unvaccinated” . As an RN, I unfortunately  believed it. I will agree that wasn’t said about the current variants and that referred to the original COVID.

Edited by Gia2cats
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gia2cats said:

Don’t want to get in to quoting anyone here in authority,  but here in the US, exactly 1 year ago, we were told that COVID is a “disease of the unvaccinated” . As an RN, I unfortunately  believed it. I will agree that wasn’t said about the current variants and that referred to the original COVID.

You are both right. For the vast majority of people vaccines stopped serious illness and death.

In a programme broadcast last week a London teaching hospital gave the following statistics covering a 1 month period in December/January:

Number of patients admitted with Covid 500. (That's patients just with Covid and those admitted for other reasons who were found to have Covid)

Number of those patients needing treatment in intensive care: 27

Number out of 27 who were unvaccinated 26.

Number out of the 27 who died:7

Number out of the 7 who died who were vaccinated: Zero.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gia2cats said:

To be fair, they weren't wrong or lying--it was largely true one year ago. But like with most things COVID the situation is fluid and constantly changing, so a lot of what was true a year ago is no longer the case.

15 hours ago, the penguins said:

Clearly not the same as booking into a large hotel in fact better as on the ship you know that everyone has been vaccinated and tested negative just prior to boarding.

My point being; people wouldn't bat an eyelid at booking a week in a large hotel right now but the stigma with going on a cruise ship still remains, despite people onboard actually being vac'd and tested which isn't a requirement for a hotel. I suspect the trepidation comes from fear of being subject to the quarantine rules being enforced in the cruise industry and not actually COVID itself, which I understand.

We have a Caribbean cruise booked for 2nd Jan, and although fully vac'd as of now, I won't be making the long transatlantic trip if the policies remain that I or my wife could be quarantined for 10 days should we catch what would be for me essentially a mild cold/flu. Its needless and not worth the risk IMO.

• Like 1