Beverage package - buy before or on board?

grayjay

I hope this question has not been asked a zillion times, but I'm not sure yet when to buy the beverage package ( non-alcoholic premium) we're thinking of buying. Is it possible to buy it on board? b) on embarkation day only or on the first/second day  of cruising , too? c) Is it possible to buy different packages, for example premium non-alcoholic for me, coffee package for husband?

Thank you for your answers, I'm still trying to decide if a package is worth buying as we have lots of sea days. On the other hand we don't drink really much, anyway, and with CoVid19 still raging, we might avoid public spaces more than we would normally. But still your answers will help in our decision.

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

I hope this question has not been asked a zillion times, but I'm not sure yet when to buy the beverage package ( non-alcoholic premium) we're thinking of buying. Is it possible to buy it on board? b) on embarkation day only or on the first/second day  of cruising , too? c) Is it possible to buy different packages, for example premium non-alcoholic for me, coffee package for husband?

Thank you for your answers, I'm still trying to decide if a package is worth buying as we have lots of sea days. On the other hand we don't drink really much, anyway, and with CoVid19 still raging, we might avoid public spaces more than we would normally. But still your answers will help in our decision.

Both guests have to purchase the same package. We would have been very happy if we could have bought different ones but no go I’m afraid. 

Others advised us to buy onboard rather than in advance just in case there was a special promotion on board. There wasn't but it didn't make any difference to us as funds were coming from same account anyway.

On a 2 week crossing we discovered that the vendor we went to (they set up tables with staff selling packages) was only selling for the first week. His paperwork wasn't submitted quickly enough and we were charged separately for our first few purchases, and we had to get them refunded.

2nd week we went to our most frequently used lounge to buy it and didn't have any problems.

That means that where your trip is considered in some way as more than one cruise you could take the package for one part and not the other.

As others have said all must take same package.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sure this must have been asked before however if you don't mind either directing me to the previous discussions or answering it here.

We are booked on an Alaska trip in Britannia class.  We did a QM2 trip a few years ago and were OK with the food in the MDR (so hopefully that has not gone downhill post COVID), however I don't remember if the coffee was that great.  If the coffee these days is not that good, I will probably be getting a couple of cappuccinos or lattes each day. I do not drink much soda, but my wife does.  We both like an occasional juice (eg, orange juice), but usually only at breakfast.

I am looking at the three options:  Specialty Hot Drink, Soft Drinks Option, non-alcoholic premium.

If it makes sense, I will just pay as you go and not buy anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Between the two of you will you be drinking $60 worth of drinks per day? IE 8-10 drinks each? Both people in the cabin must buy a package. To get both juice and hot beverages you must get the “premium soft drinks” package which is $30 (ok, $29) per person per day.

We decided it wasn’t worth it for us.

Edited by Tonopah

Orange juice at breakfast in the MDR was fine for us. We had two glasses each every morning as their glasses are about half the size we use at home. No need for a package to include that.

Unless your wife drinks an awful lot of soda, it sounds like you would be considering the Hot Drink option at $10/day each. On that basis I think you need to have 3 each per day to benefit.

We only take coffee/tea twice per day at 11 am and 4 pm, so took Illy Coffees and Tea Forte in The Chart Room. That would be a bit short of $20/day so would not have been good value.

I don't know if premium coffees/teas are offered in MDR as we don't take them with meals so that may also affect your decision.

22 minutes ago, read2learn said:

If you are just purchasing the soda package must both people purchase it? Iamthe only one who drinks it. 

Yes. Both people in the cabin must purchase the drinks package. As @Host Hattiehas mentioned before, there have been reports of people being able to get different levels of packages once on board but I have never seen it personally, nor have I heard of Cunard allowing only one person in a multi-person cabin to buy a package.

• Thanks 1

One thing to watch for is if you buy on-board then you can use your on-board credit to pay for it. If you buy pre-cruise through the website then you pay with your credit card in advance. This is applicable if you are on a TA crossing and have lots of on-board credit to use, but no shore excursions to apply it to.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your answers.

As our November cruise is inching closer I have thought again about whether or not to buy a beverage package.

I'll try to buy a non-alcoholic premium on board to use up onboard credit and a coffee package for my husband - he's a diabetic and neither drinks mocktails or many juices but LOTS of coffee. I'll report if I have been successful to do that as we'd both choose and drink what we'd like to have. If not allowed we'll just pay as it comes each day.

Hi, no it doesn't matter when you buy as the 10% remains in place throughout the cruise. Please take into account if you don't buy the package and buy drinks as you go you have the 15% service charge and then the 10% Spanish VAT charge on each drink you purchase. With the pound heading towards parity with the dollar many from the UK commenting on how expensive purchases onboard are becoming these days. Lastly all Spa and photo purchases have 21% VAT added to them. Hope you have a fab time on QE @2Oldpeopleinlove we sure have and Alfie's show tonight was excellent.

10 minutes ago, scottiebhoy said:

Hi, no it doesn't matter when you buy as the 10% remains in place throughout the cruise. Please take into account if you don't buy the package and buy drinks as you go you have the 15% service charge and then the 10% Spanish VAT charge on each drink you purchase. With the pound heading towards parity with the dollar many from the UK commenting on how expensive purchases onboard are becoming these days. Lastly all Spa and photo purchases have 21% VAT added to them. Hope you have a fab time on QE @2Oldpeopleinlove we sure have and Alfie's show tonight was excellent.

Thanks so much! You’ve given us much more solid information than we were able to get from a Cunard agent on the phone! We’re very appreciative.

15 hours ago, scottiebhoy said:

Buy before as I just found to my cost if you buy onboard for departures ex Barcelona they add on an extra 10% Spanish vat!  

Thank you for your advice, this is really good to know. We will book in advance.

9 hours ago, scottiebhoy said:

When we cruised the Med, Pre Covid so tax matters might have changed since then,  the Spanish Tax was only  relevant in Spanish waters which is why we used to pre-buy wine, when applicable, for dinner in order to circumvent that particular add on.

On 9/25/2022 at 4:03 AM, Gomac said:

Thank you for your advice, this is really good to know. We will book in advance.

Does anybody know if we can do it via the onboard Cunard app? That would simplify things, and being able to skip the purser's line would be nice.

5 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

Does anybody know if we can do it via the onboard Cunard app? That would simplify things, and being able to skip the purser's line would be nice.

Unsure about being able to order via the onboard app (though I doubt it) - save yourself the purser's desk and go straight to the Golden Lion - that's where I've gotten my drinks package from on previous trips.

Perk as well of the Golden Lion is you can sit down (and maybe order lunch depending on what time you board!) while its being sorted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I am reading this correctly there is a 15% service charge for hot drinks (eg Cappuccino) purchased on-board.  Is the 15% charge applied to the package price?

I was wondering if they have Chai Lattes aboard the QE and if this is covered by the hot drink package?

Finally, some people have replied that the crossover between individual purchases and the hot drink package is 2 some have said 3???

Thank you for the assistance.

3 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

If I am reading this correctly there is a 15% service charge for hot drinks (eg Cappuccino) purchased on-board.  Is the 15% charge applied to the package price?

I was wondering if they have Chai Lattes aboard the QE and if this is covered by the hot drink package?

Finally, some people have replied that the crossover between individual purchases and the hot drink package is 2 some have said 3???

Thank you for the assistance.

There is no 15% service charge applied to drinks through the package. Once you've paid for the package, that is all you will pay for the drinks you are allowed under it.

I can't tell you anything about chai lattes, I'm afraid.

Not sure what you mean by the last part of your question so I can't assist there.