Testing changes

lv2cruisgrl

So much for me getting excited RCL is removing testing……for short cruises <6 days. Been on one and Never again. Get to port-unpack-enjoy a day or so-pack-leave. And the ports Nassau-Ensenada-yeah right.

Doing it with a short cruise means most wont show COVID symptoms On the cruise but after, and all looks good.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, canderson said:

Cynical ... and probably spot on, Denny.

I agree, but thats what I remind those that tell me cruising is high risk so they go to DisneyWorld/Land and other such because few have reported getting COVID While there. Shorter stays mean fewer on-site cases, and they blame something else after getting home, such as Uncle Bill. 

Den

• Like 3

So deceptive and lacking in courage you are, RCG!

Naturally, we will start consecutive cruises -- next month -- with a six-nighter, so we will be forced to test yet again, after having been tested thrice (pre-cruise) last September, November, and January ... plus once on-board.

All pre-cruise and on-board testing should have been terminated, regardless of cruise length (in our opinion).

• Like 3

I think if all goes well with the cruises up to 6 nights and they don't see any increase of covid cases on board they will include more.  I think it's a good move, one step at a time.

Edited by lovrccl
  • Like 3

We have a 11 night Silhouette cruise to the Carary Islands out of Southampton on Sept.19,2022 and I hope the precruise testing (For fully Vaccinated guests) requirements will be dropped by then.

I Like that all guests have a proof of a Negative Covid Test before boarding but we are arriving a few days Before the cruise and finding a place to be tested locally near our Hotel and getting Results quickly just adds to the stress. I have researched testing in Southampton and it IS possible. 

Even if Celebrity drops the requirement the UK requirements could be a factor?

20 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I think NCL will be the first to stop testing on all cruises. FDR is very aggressive , and I think he'll jump in with both feet. RCCL will follow at that time to be competitive.

And the cruises don't go to any of the 50 something countries including Canada that currently require testing.

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me, but I can certainly see dropping constant testing, but if (and only if) all onboard are required to be vaccinated and fully boosted like we are.  Actually the testing requirements  (and the consequences of a positive — real or false) are a reason we have zero cruises booked, so I am not a fan of testing. But I am a fan of full vaccination.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I agree, but thats what I remind those that tell me cruising is high risk so they go to DisneyWorld/Land and other such because few have reported getting COVID While there. Shorter stays mean fewer on-site cases, and they blame something else after getting home, such as Uncle Bill. 

Den

Search Celebrity for cruises in 2022 out of a US port that are less than 6 nights.  One on Beyond in November and a few on Summit.  All out of FLL.  So this new rule is practically non-existent for most cruises.  Maybe Celebrity will monitor these few cruises and collect some data.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Maybe it is just me, but I can certainly see dropping constant testing, but if (and only if) all onboard are required to be vaccinated and fully boosted like we are.  Actually the testing requirements  (and the consequences of a positive — real or false) are a reason we have zero cruises booked, so I am not a fan of testing. But I am a fan of full vaccination.

I am not a fan of fully vaccinated.  But I am a fan of Up To Date vaccinated as you are too.

• Like 3

I realize this is new, and will change many times over the next few months ...  but I am on an Edge B2B in November.  First leg is four nights to Western Caribbean, second leg is 10 nights to Southern Caribbean.  As of now, if I am reading Celebrity's FAQs properly, I would not need a test to board the first leg, and Celebrity will test me on board for the second leg.  Is this correct?

Back to the magic number day for when you maybe can or cannot get Covid.  

Just like being seated in a restaurant - wear mask to table, take off when you get seated!!  

This variant is highly contagious  - you can be vaccinated and boosted. avoiding large crowds, and wearing a mask and still catch it.

No guarantees …. know your own health risk limits and live your life accordingly.

We did not stop traveling and it finally got us 10 days ago. We are healthy, it was like a bad cold for 2 days and now we feel back to normal.  

Now perhaps with this new natural immunity, we may be a bit more protected until the next variant!

5 hours ago, jg51 said:

That sounds like a logical assumption, but it has not been announced officially.  Celebrity certainly has the personnel aboard to test you -- since they are testing the crew every week.

In our opinion, all testing of vaccinated guests -- both prior to a first cruise and prior to a consecutive cruise -- should cease now ... with this one exception:  If a ship is going to a port in a nation that requires recent testing, each guest that wishes to disembark at that port must take ashore the (negative) results of his/her recent test.  Let the host nation take on the burden of protecting its citizens.

Thank you for your opinion.  Unfortunately countries such as Canada require testing preloading.  The consequence of noncompliance is either the passenger cannot board or the ship cannot call on a port in that country.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:14 PM, D. B. said:

We have a 11 night Silhouette cruise to the Carary Islands out of Southampton on Sept.19,2022 and I hope the precruise testing (For fully Vaccinated guests) requirements will be dropped by then.

I Like that all guests have a proof of a Negative Covid Test before boarding but we are arriving a few days Before the cruise and finding a place to be tested locally near our Hotel and getting Results quickly just adds to the stress. I have researched testing in Southampton and it IS possible. 

Even if Celebrity drops the requirement the UK requirements could be a factor?

UK doesn’t have any requirements at present. Even if you are positive, they did away with all quarantine a few months ago.  No testing to enter the country, no testing requirements while in country. 

13 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thank you for your opinion.  Unfortunately countries such as Canada require testing preloading.  The consequence of noncompliance is either the passenger cannot board or the ship cannot call on a port in that country.

We didn't say that all  pre-cruise testing must end.  We only said that those vaccinated passengers who don't want  to disembark at ports that require testing ought not to be forced to present evidence of a test on Embarkation Day -- and ought not to be tested on board before consecutive cruises. 

Another way of saying this is ... Those vaccinated passengers who don't want  to be tested (such as "yours truly") should be allowed to board -- but should not be allowed to disembark at any test-demanding port(s)-of-call.

At this point -- given what the CDC has now done, and given the weakness of the viral strain -- nations that have had a chance to be fully vaccinated surely realize that they no longer have a valid reason to continue their "blockade," so we believe that they will very soon be dropping it, to avoid the continuation of self-inflicted economic harm.  Until those nations change their policy, however, a cruise line can certify that all disembarking  guests have been tested.

15 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Maybe I missed it but I have not seen where Canada requires testing. The ArriveCan form only requires vaccinations.   

1 hour ago, rjrpar said:

Maybe I missed it but I have not seen where Canada requires testing. The ArriveCan form only requires vaccinations.   

9 minutes ago, Provence55always said:

You are correct Canada does not require testing. 

"All travellers 5 years of age or older must have a COVID-19 test to board a cruise ship in Canada or to board a cruise ship that will dock in Canada at any point on the cruise."

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

27 minutes ago, Provence55always said:

Yes to board the cruise ship but not to arrive in Canada.

Trying this again - Canada DOES require a negative covid test to board a cruise ship that has a destination in Canada.  It also requires ArriveCAN to be completed and submitted.

Sure seems like required testing to me.

I am not debating the rule.  I fully understand to enter Canada by flying, driving or on foot no testing is required, but this forum is about cruising.

If you don't like the rule tell Canada.