MSC Just Removed Testing To Match RCCL and CCL. Is NCL Next?

GA Dave

MSC Health & Safety measures | MSC Cruises (msccruisesusa.com)

Beginning August 8, 2022:

• For fully vaccinated guests sailing 5 nights or less from U.S. ports, COVID-19 testing within 3 days of embarkation is recommended, but not required.

• Fully vaccinated guests sailing 6 nights or longer from U.S. ports must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation.  MSC Cruises recommends vaccinated guests to test within 1 day of embarkation, when possible.

• Unvaccinated guests 2 years and older must show proof of a lab-administered negative COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen) taken within 3 days of embarkation for all cruises from U.S. ports. MSC Cruises recommends unvaccinated guests to test within 1 day of departure, when possible. These guests may undergo an additional COVID-19 test at the terminal prior to embarkation provided by MSC Cruises, free of charge. The only exception is that no pre-embarkation or embarkation testing is required for guests under 2 years of age. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave...I think this was just a matter of time.  ALL the cruise lines, but particularly NCL and Celebrity, have not wavered in their "pre-test" protocols for the last 1.5-2 years of sailing.  We all knew it wouldn't last forever, but they stuck to their guns.

Now, with nearly 90% of cruise passengers (mostly older age groups) being vaccinated, testing becomes less and less necessary.  How quickly they remove all testing is probably sooner than later....at least for those who are vaccinated.

Proof of vaccinations will most likely be with us for a long time, though.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Dave...I think this was just a matter of time.  ALL the cruise lines, but particularly NCL and Celebrity, have not wavered in their "pre-test" protocols for the last 1.5-2 years of sailing.  We all knew it wouldn't last forever, but they stuck to their guns.

Now, with nearly 90% of cruise passengers (mostly older age groups) being vaccinated, testing becomes less and less necessary.  How quickly they remove all testing is probably sooner than later....at least for those who are vaccinated.

Proof of vaccinations will most likely be with us for a long time, though.

You can't possibly be serious. NCL has waivered in their pretest protocols everywhere but the USA, Canada, and Greece. 

No doubt that NCL has done an excellent job responding to the fluid nature of Covid protocols. NCL has waivered in their protocols right along with every other cruise line as they have amended covid policies consistently since cruise resumption, proving, yet again, that protocols remain fluid. IMO; If NCL didn't waver from the plan they would already be in Ch 11. They had to make changes to stay afloat.

Imagine if they didn't waver, they would be the only line still requiring full mask wearing. They would also be one of the only major cruise lines to not welcome families. They would be one of the very few to require testing in overseas on all of it's ships. What do you think their occupancy loads would be if they didn't respond to the fluid nature of covid? 

Remember when you said NCL would not allow unvaccinated children because their policy was 100% vaccination and they were going to stick to that? At that time, I gave the policy of 100% vaccination 6 months before NCL changed that policy. I was wrong, it took 8 😉 

To refresh your memory on some of the changes:

- Mandatory masks were removed

- NCL first Allowed unvaccinated children under 5

- Revised to allow unvaccinated children under 12

- Eliminated testing (except the USA, Canada, Bermuda, and Greece).

- Remaining testing will likely be amended when NCL releases their 2nd quarter earnings next Tuesday.  

In fact, the only protocol I see remaining for passengers is 100% vaccination requirement for over 12 and I'll bet dollars to donuts this is also changed very soon. Currently several cruise lines are allowing 10-20% unvaccinated. Princess and RCL cruises recently put out news which stated "We Welcome the Unvaccinated" and discussed their much easier exemption process. 

BTW: NCL ships aren't sailing at or near capacity. By their own admission stated they "HOPED" to get to 65% occupancy in second quarter. Perhaps they will beat this modest estimate, but no way are they full when you take into account the entire fleet. Of course, certain popular sailings may very well be sailing at or near capacity, but we all know this is not how you calculate load factors for the fleet. We'll know the answer definitively next when they release their 2Q22 . I'll come back to this thread to update. If I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it. 

BTW: Just today NCL posponed their 2Q22 earnings call from tomorrow to August 9th. It is extremely rare a postponement brings good financial news.

Virtually every aspect of society has changed the way they respond to Covid because Covid itself is extremely fluid. Cruise lines are no exception and certainly NCL has responded appropriately by making changes to their Covid protocols consistently since cruises have resumed sailing. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

I think what might be preventing any changes is that both Bermuda and Canada still require pre cruise COVID test as part of the requirement. This can can confusion for some people

It's possible. Also, NCL only has 2 ships sailing just in the Caribbean that would be effected by these changes. Most of their ships in NA are effected by Canada's rules. Rumor mill has it that Canada is seriously looking into revising it's policy for cruise passengers also which will open the flood gates.

I think it's also likely NCL is waiting until they release their earnings call to the SEC. That always comes with lots of rah-rah lipstick speeches. It was supposed to be tomorrow but they postponed it until next week (9th). I will be shocked if we don't hear something by then. 

Keep in mind RCL, Virgin, and Princess have also made it much easier for the unvaccinated to board so news on where NCL stands on vaccination could also be included in the release.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Pre-Cruise testing will change soon on NCL.  I don't think the vaccination part will change, as I believe NCL is the only big cruise line who still requires all passenger above a certain age to be vaccinated.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scooter6139 said:

Pre-Cruise testing will change soon on NCL.  I don't think the vaccination part will change, as I believe NCL is the only big cruise line who still requires all passenger above a certain age to be vaccinated.

Time will tell 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Remaining testing will likely be amended when NCL releases their 2nd quarter earnings next Tuesday. 

I think it's also likely NCL is waiting until they release their earnings call to the SEC.

I believe the earnings calls are where Royal and Carnival announced their changes, I also suspect NCL will use that call to make that announcement.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hallux said:

I believe the earnings calls are where Royal and Carnival announced their changes, I also suspect NCL will use that call to make that announcement.

Not quite right. RCL announced during their earnings call. Carnival announced a few days after RCL (and weeks after their earnings call). 

But as I said above, just this morning NCL postponed their earnings call from tomorrow to August 9th. They must be cooking up something because postponing never looks good to the investment community. 😉 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

Agree.  NCL never intended pre-cruise COVID testing to be permanent.  

I believe vaccinations are going to be part of the check in process for the foreseeable future (if not permanent).

They were the first out of the shoot upon start up that required them.  It's been quite successful. Their passengers appreciate the health protocols they've put in place.  They're sailing at capacity.  

As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

My take, the announce the same 5 days or less sailing from US ports that don't touch countries that require more statement that all the lines seemed to have been given by the CDC.  LOL   As for when, how about on the earnings call on the 9th as part of how they get their stock to pop.  (And they can even make it effective immediately).  As I have heard @BermudaBound2014 say quite a few times FDR is a salesman who knows how to work the room on earnings reports.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 1

I too would love to see pre-cruise testing eliminated for all sailings. I don't understand the difference or benefit to eliminating for short cruises and not longer ones? Only thing i can think of is you test negative 3 days prior and show symptoms 2 or 3 days into cruise so only have 2 days or maybe 3 of quarantine oppose to testing showing symptoms on day 2 or 3 of a 9 night and being locked up for 5 nights i guess. Anyways , I would like to start getting excited for my vacation a little further out then 3 days, always paranoid of a false positive lol

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I too would love to see pre-cruise testing eliminated for all sailings. I don't understand the difference or benefit to eliminating for short cruises and not longer ones? 

I think it will be extended to longer sailings very quickly. RCL gave 'weeks' at the timeline. 

• Like 2

And now testing is completely back on the table for most cruises.  Remember when they said "unless the country requires it"??  The Bahamas and Grand Cayman just announced they will require it, guess where most short cruises go?

I heard this on the lalidoloca channel on youtube, he does not make things up, so I think it is true.  He said Carnival reported it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

And now testing is completely back on the table for most cruises.  Remember when they said "unless the country requires it"??  The Bahamas and Grand Cayman just announced they will require it, guess where most short cruises go?

I heard this on the lalidoloca channel on youtube, he does not make things up, so I think it is true.  He said Carnival reported it.

I see itinerary changes in the future :).

Grand Cayman can probably hold out, like Bermuda they have cash. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

according the Bahamas web page they removed testing requirements back in june. Are they adding it back in? 

https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

27 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

according the Bahamas web page they removed testing requirements back in june. Are they adding it back in? 

It was reported via the carnival release on testing that the require it.  I am more confused then ever.  

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-clarifies-which-sailings-require-testing/77920

Just now, oteixeira said:

It was reported via the carnival release on testing that the require it.  I am more confused then ever.  

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-clarifies-which-sailings-require-testing/77920

yea- this seems a bit odd (but what isn’t lately). Grand Cayman has never removed testing and they have enough $$ to give cruise lines the boot. I suspect Bahamas will follow the cruise cash cow sooner than later. Let’s see how this plays out. 

• Like 1

I see itinerary changes in the future :).

Grand Cayman can probably hold out, like Bermuda they have cash. 

Bahamas may need the cash dollars from tourists but cruiselines cant just drop the Bahamas.

Where else can cruiselines go on 3-4 days sailings from Florida?  There is only so much space in Cozumel.   That being said I think the Bahamas will eventually drop testing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Bahamas may need the cash dollars from tourists but cruiselines cant just drop the Bahamas.

Where else can cruiselines go on 3-4 days sailings from Florida?  There is only so much space in Cozumel.   That being said I think the Bahamas will eventually drop testing.

They can get to the Dominican Republic also and ironically there is a bunch of port building happening there. 

Yes. I found the same information and find it hard to understand that testing is being reinstated from June with no mention on the official Bahama website to date???🤔

Totally confused now.🥴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

They can get to the Dominican Republic also and ironically there is a bunch of port building happening there. 

Yeah, the new ports/building will be ready late 2023.  In the meantime, I dont think the cruiselines will be pulling out of Bahamas where they have private destinations over testing rules.  My next sailing is out of Greece where they are doing portside testing and I dont see NCL threatenng to leave Greece.

Guess I'm just a cynic but if NCL were to change the testing rules on the day of their earnings report I would think that would be pretty upsetting to those who set sail in the days just before.  It would be sad to go through all the effort of getting the tests just to learn NCL only made you do it because they wanted to withhold announcement until earnings day.  

But I guess marketers rule!