The official reason for the lack of turndown service.

MX-Drew

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The older customers are more likely to stay loyal to P&O so they have a good base to start with.

I would agree with that to a point ,however taking into account the amount of negative comments on the P and O boards a number maybe ready to jump ship, no pun intended 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The older customers are more likely to stay loyal to P&O so they have a good base to start with.

And do the longer cruises because their holidays don't have to come out of annual leave. I would have thought that most of their new target customers want to fly cruise (if they want to cruise at all) and not waste two or three days getting to the sun.

This is a bit like pubs or garden centre cafes saying they just want younger customers. At weekends, that's fine; during the week, when I go out for lunch fairly frequently, the people who keep these places going all year round are the boomers and the next generation up, with our DB pensions and inflation-proof state pensions.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I would agree with that to a point ,however taking into account the amount of negative comments on the P and O boards a number maybe ready to jump ship, no pun intended 

We currently have 4 P&O cruises booked even though we are Elite on Princess and Diamond plus on Royal Caribbean.

Cruising mainly from Southampton so no flights needed, excellent priced speciality restaurants,no tips, British food and entertainment,well priced drinks and excellent service has kept us loyal with 25 P&O cruises to date.

Graham.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We currently have 4 P&O cruises booked even though we are Elite on Princess and Diamond plus on Royal Caribbean.

Cruising mainly from Southampton so no flights needed, excellent priced speciality restaurants,no tips, British food and entertainment,well priced drinks and excellent service has kept us loyal with 25 P&O cruises to date.

Graham.

Agree. I have done 49 and have found P&O best value for solo travellers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I think the loyalty to P and O is very strong within a certain age and perhaps stems from peoples first cruise, which I suspect for most would have been with P and O, we are up to nearly twenty and the main reason to look elsewhere is the different Itinerary, not because of prices on board for services etc or cabin prices, we have always been happy with what we have received. I would say we have been and will continue to be loyal to the brand , but if you want to see places that P and O do not visit then you have to try alternatives, which we are increasingly doing, even though it means in most cases very long flights. We do enjoy the longer cruises which most other lines don't do out of England and overall they are good value , unable to comment on prices for solo travellers  

• Like 1

After our time at the Commonwealth Games where we met and spoke with people from numerous other countries, we are likely to look beyond P&O for our next cruise. We will still possibly do some short cruises with P&O but for longer cruises we will probably look elsewhere, this will probably mean flying, but we don’t mind that. 

For cruises we have decided to focus on destinations, the small stuff mentioned in this post doesn’t really matter in the scheme of things, doesn’t really matter if my bedding isn’t turned down at night, if the place we are calling at next day is exciting and new, to be honest P&O itinerary is very samey year in year out especially the Med and Norway, we might give Hurtigruten a try for the fjords. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Some will, others won't. It will be interesting to see what happens once the two smaller ships leave the fleet - although I won't see what happens as I will be one of those that have left...

• Like 4

Being diplomatic here (makes a change!), but will the age cohort that are currently loyal only to the two adult ships,  still be cruising in 10 years time ?

Whilst P&O will obviously lose a certain number of passengers for good, others will continue to cruise on other ships in the fleet.

Heck, two years ago, I swore I would never sail on any of the larger P&O ships. Now we have two cruises booked on Britannia next year - our thinking is that it cannot be worse than our last Arcadia cruise !

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Being diplomatic here (makes a change!), but will the age cohort that are currently loyal only to the two adult ships,  still be cruising in 10 years time ?

Whilst P&O will obviously lose a certain number of passengers for good, others will continue to cruise on other ships in the fleet.

Heck, two years ago, I swore I would never sail on any of the larger P&O ships. Now we have two cruises booked on Britannia next year - our thinking is that it cannot be worse than our last Arcadia cruise !

I can only speak for myself and as someone in their early sixties, I definitely hope to be cruising in 10 years but as Aurora and Arcadia will be gone by then, it won't be with P&O...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I can only speak for myself and as someone in their early sixties, I definitely hope to be cruising in 10 years but as Aurora and Arcadia will be gone by then, it won't be with P&O...

If only we were as young as you !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Does moving with the times mean we have to enjoy dodgem cars, wall climbing, water slides and zip wires. Oh course it doesn't but sadly I think the days of cruising for the older generation means either putting up with lots of things that past cruises we enjoyed we had have finished. Whilst you will still be able to read and relax I fear that Formal nights and set dining times may become a thing of the past. That will of course depend on how many people in their 30's, 40's and 50's rebel enough and insist on certain things remaining. But having cruised since 2002 and I expect many who cruised way before then have noticed how things we took for granted are either no longer available or you have to pay extra for them. Drinking chocolate and sandwiches late evening, little bags with toiletries in them, chocoholics in the MD, free tours of the Bridge ( Not Stamford) and galley, steaks as a separate item, not on the menu, but you could ask for one if there wasn't anything on the menu you liked. Vegetables served at the table and as much as you liked. Sailed on Oceana, Oriana and Aurora all fond memories. Aurora is still going and has cruises up to 2024 I believe. Oriana was about 4 years older than Aurora so as you say she can't have many years left. My hope is they bring in a couple of ships of a similar size, but have my doubts they will. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Does moving with the times mean we have to enjoy dodgem cars, wall climbing, water slides and zip wires. Oh course it doesn't but sadly I think the days of cruising for the older generation means either putting up with lots of things that past cruises we enjoyed we had have finished. Whilst you will still be able to read and relax I fear that Formal nights and set dining times may become a thing of the past. That will of course depend on how many people in their 30's, 40's and 50's rebel enough and insist on certain things remaining. But having cruised since 2002 and I expect many who cruised way before then have noticed how things we took for granted are either no longer available or you have to pay extra for them. Drinking chocolate and sandwiches late evening, little bags with toiletries in them, chocoholics in the MD, free tours of the Bridge ( Not Stamford) and galley, steaks as a separate item, not on the menu, but you could ask for one if there wasn't anything on the menu you liked. Vegetables served at the table and as much as you liked. Sailed on Oceana, Oriana and Aurora all fond memories. Aurora is still going and has cruises up to 2024 I believe. Oriana was about 4 years older than Aurora so as you say she can't have many years left. My hope is they bring in a couple of ships of a similar size, but have my doubts they will. 

I will be hoping that Fred Olsen and maybe Ambassador are still operating smaller, more traditional ships or will move to Saga and probably only cruise every two to three years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I'm 66 soon and loved the dodgems on Anthem of the seas in May.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We will be on Anthem in a couple of weeks and fully intend to enjoy them. Beatles tribute, Bob Marley music , Rock of Ages etc. All looking good. Great news that Shaun the sheep and Gromit will be on Britannia in October. After that we will decide on 2023. I hope they all keep up with the times and don't assume everyone over 70 wants to be tucked up in bed with their cocoa by 9.00pm🤣

If you are lucky like we were a few weeks ago on Britannia they were showing some of the Wallace & Gromit films in the cinema and the main characters made a special appearance! They also provided us with special cardboard cutout hats of Shaun the sheep 😁

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 4:57 PM, FangedRose said:

I know that in the evening cabins stewards were delivering meals to covid isolation passengers. My cabin steward brought my meal at least twice during my six day isolation.

Yes that is the same as on Aurora  recently  plus the sanitising of public areas on ghe ship.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DropThePuck said:

I have never had my bed turned down, so don't understand why this is a "thing". It doesn't take much to pull your own sheet down and get into bed. Unless I am misunderstanding what makes up turn down.

In the past it would also have included change of towels,  cabin tidy up, curtains drawn, plus chocolates! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In the past it would also have included change of towels,  cabin tidy up, curtains drawn, plus chocolates! 

The tidy up also included collecting any room service crockery etc, replenishing tea and coffee items and any used beakers or drinks glasses, and freshening up the bathroom after you had  showered.

Turn down was just a term used because the steward would also remove any day time bedding and cushions and leave the bed ready for immediate use.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DropThePuck said:

Isn't that all mostly done in the morning? Apart from chocolates and curtains.

Yes, but at night, as John said, mugs that were used during the day would be changed,  room service items would be removed, etc.  

10 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Yes but some people shower at night before dinner rather than in the morning. 

We do and afterwards take the towels to the laundry to ensure they are dry for the next morning ,tidy up, polish the shower screen, borrow the Henry ,Do any washing  up. Can't cook our own dinner...Health and safety......or we could always pay a few thousand for a holiday and expect them to do it....🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4