Real crab in MDR?

baelor

On 8/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, smokeybandit said:

With all the mustard and Worcestershire sauce put in "authentic" Maryland crabcakes, it's hard to taste the crab in them or in an RC crabcake.

You are getting your crabcakes from the wrong place friend. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

For those who have never had a "real" Maryland crab cake: here is what is what goes in 1  and 1/2 lbs of picked crab meat (this includes the lumps from the back fin area and claws) to make twelve crab cakes:

RCCL crab cakes: 1- 1/2 lbs. of crab meat (this includes the lumps from the back fin area and claws) to make 12 dozen crab cakes.

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 7:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

Most "Maryland Crab cakes" in Maryland are really bad because they are cheap imitations like on the ship. All filler. Little crab. 

Not in our experience ! I can only speak to the greater Baltimore area , but we have not had a bad crab cake since moving to the area. We only order them at non-chain restaurants. The absolute best are at GM Restaurant in Lithicium Heights not far from BWI. No filler at all- pure Heaven! And they have a baklava cheese cake that is straight from heaven!

Jimmy's also has amazing crab cakes- there's a list of at least 25 excellent eateries with great crab cakes.

We have friends who schedule their flights when visiting so that they arrive during operating hours so we can swing by GM on the way home .

We are so spoiled that I never have ordered them on board. Maybe I will this coming trip to see what I have been "missing".

On 8/11/2022 at 5:20 PM, baelor said:

For the sake of being totally transparent, this question was motivated by a YouTube video I saw that reviewed tons of MDR dishes, and the diner cut into the crab cake and stated immediately that it was imitation crab based on appearance (and then texture after eating).  I wasn't sure whether the assessment was accurate, hence the question.

I can say with complete confidence that there is no real crab served on a Royal Caribbean ship.

2 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

The Hooked Royal Seafood Platter menu has soft shell crab. How do they fake that?  

Rats.  I forgot about Hooked.

Let me amend my statement:  Outside of Hooked, and the spider roll in Izumi (see?  I remember that one all by myself!), no crab.

Or I could just address the actual original question:  No crab in the MDR.  😄 

• Like 1

Most "Maryland Crab cakes" in Maryland are really bad because they are cheap imitations like on the ship. All filler. Little crab. 

If this is the case you are not getting a true Maryland crab cake!  Maryland crab cakes have just enough breading so that they do not fall apart when fried!    When you bite into a MD crab cake you should only taste lump crab meat and old bay....if you bite into it and all you taste is breading tell them they are lying about it being a TRUE MARYLAND CRAB CAKE!   Even my nephews when they were 3 and 4 knew the difference between a MD crab cake and a fake one!!!!

• Like 1

If this is the case you are not getting a true Maryland crab cake!  Maryland crab cakes have just enough breading so that they do not fall apart when fried!    When you bite into a MD crab cake you should only taste lump crab meat and old bay....if you bite into it and all you taste is breading tell them they are lying about it being a TRUE MARYLAND CRAB CAKE!   Even my nephews when they were 3 and 4 knew the difference between a MD crab cake and a fake one!!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, footzz said:

RCCL crab cakes: 1- 1/2 lbs. of crab meat (this includes the lumps from the back fin area and claws) to make 12 dozen crab cakes.

My post was just to give an example of a recipe to make Maryland crab cakes and  to offer a basis for comparing to what RCCL calls a crab cake.

Absolutely no lazy cook "Old Bay" seasoning in a real Maryland crab cake.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, forgotmyCCname said:

Not in our experience ! I can only speak to the greater Baltimore area , but we have not had a bad crab cake since moving to the area. We only order them at non-chain restaurants. The absolute best are at GM Restaurant in Lithicium Heights not far from BWI. No filler at all- pure Heaven! And they have a baklava cheese cake that is straight from heaven!

Jimmy's also has amazing crab cakes- there's a list of at least 25 excellent eateries with great crab cakes.

Don't forget Timbuktu in Hanover for the crab cakes.

Best part of planning my daughter's wedding (held at the Museum of Industry in Baltimore) was tasting the crab cake each catering company made at tasting menu visits.

She had a "surf and turf" option for guests that included a crab cake and beef filet (pit beef sliders were one of the cocktail hour offerings and Berger cookies were on the dessert bar).

LOL - no Old Bay was used in any food item.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

My post was just to give an example of a recipe to make Maryland crab cakes and  to offer a basis for comparing to what RCCL calls a crab cake.

Absolutely no lazy cook "Old Bay" seasoning in a real Maryland crab cake.

I guess you missed the part of the RCCL recipe I posted (it's a joke) where it uses the same amount of crab to make144 crab cakes, instead if 12.

1 hour ago, footzz said:

I guess you missed the part of the RCCL recipe I posted (it's a joke) where it uses the same amount of crab to make144 crab cakes, instead if 12.

I did see it and laughed.  I thought that holding a single crab over the mix (not in the mix) was probably an accurate portrayal of the amount of crab in the RCCL bread cake entrée.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my Symphony cruise in July, I mentioned to the head waiter on the first night, that I do enjoy the crab cake and they should have it on the menu every night. Every night after that I had a crab cake brought to me. All had chunks of crab.

Wasn’t a Maryland style, but still good. Kudos to the MDR wait and kitchen staff for going above and beyond.

at $35 a lb for lump crab how much do you think a cruise line that lost what they did in the last 2 years is putting in their crab cakes. On a  recent cruise the restaurant manager stopped by our table and asked how i liked the "lump crab cake".... I kindly and respectfully adivsed him that if you are not going to use lump in the recipe  then change the menu to claw meat or worse...He smiled and gave me credit for knowing the difference and said that lump crab or high quality crab is not going to happen in these days on rccl in the MDR........I appreciated him honesty....He went on to say that most cruisers don't know the difference...........life is good

I like crab cakes, but not as much as just crab itself.   We were at the beach last week (northern Florida Gulf Coast) and went to one of our favorite seafood places.  I had the Bairdi crab, which was 1.5lbs for $75.  Best money I spent all week!  

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

I like crab cakes, but not as much as just crab itself.   We were at the beach last week (northern Florida Gulf Coast) and went to one of our favorite seafood places.  I had the Bairdi crab, which was 1.5lbs for $75.  Best money I spent all week!  

YOW! At that price, I would expect to be hand fed by a vestal virgin while lying in a supine position on a golden gilded chaise lounge. Grapes would be optional.

5 hours ago, footzz said:

YOW! At that price, I would expect to be hand fed by a vestal virgin while lying in a supine position on a golden gilded chaise lounge. Grapes would be optional.

I had this same dish at the same restaurant in 2019 and it was $29.  My how times have changed!