Lost the GTY gamble, Escape BF cabin

marktwothousand

3 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Thanks a LOT for this and That’s about what I counted. I think we’re actually in agreement here! But what Might not be clear is that There isn’t solo pricing on those cabins you point out. 

The only way I was able to get solo cruiser pricing on a balcony was to go with guarantee. Otherwise the prices were in the $thousands range as it shows in your pic. (Double what I paid)

my rate was far, FAR less than that… oh well. I guess the upshot is that maybe I’ll get placed on one of the remaining 50-60 cabins, which are all decent to me. I’ve been right above the waterfront before and didn’t mind it/notice atall, except for the broken glass dropped on the landing in front of me. (I was just unlucky on that one)

i have a feeling the ship is starting to shut down/take on new crew for the drydock after our sailing and that’s what’s happening.

Keep stalking the prices every day and hope for a price drop. Good luck!

Solo price for BD/BC/BB

image.png.d2837d88a4b2dc7940d18ba4c1bc2d90.png

4 hours ago, julig22 said:

What are you saying?  BF is balcony forward.  NCL doesn't have obstructed balconies as far as I know.

Different ship but I paid full price for GTY balcony, listed as BF-GTY.  Got my cabin assignment about 5 weeks prior to sail date, BC.

We had the similar on the Escape in December.  We had a BF-GTY.   When they assigned is our cabin we were given a BD on deck 9 above Food Republic. 

36 minutes ago, JandC_Cruising said:

We had the similar on the Escape in December.  We had a BF-GTY.   When they assigned is our cabin we were given a BD on deck 9 above Food Republic. 

Thank you! I’d actually be ok with that. 

just hoping at this point the cruise isn’t disrupted or cancelled due to maintenance. 

We are on the Sky and had originally booked an Oceanview cabin. My husband said he really wanted a Balcony so I bit the bullet and paid the upgrade charge. By the time I did only BF GTY was available. Fast forward to today 27 days before we sail and we got a BA midship with cabins above and cabins below us. We could not ask for a better cabin location. 😀

Edited by undecided1
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, undecided1 said:

We are on the Sky and had originally booked an Oceanview cabin. My husband said he really wanted a Balcony so I bit the bullet and paid the upgrade charge. By the time I did only BF GTY was available. Fast forward to today 27 days before we sail and we got a BA midship with cabins above and cabins below us. We could not ask for a better cabin location. 😀

That’s the ultimate. 

• Like 1

I hope you end up getting what you want but I have to ask about Deck 8.
I specifically booked a BF on Deck 8, right after the Brew House on the Joy because

I wanted the angled balcony and thought it would be a fun new choice (we usually sail in the Haven).

Are you say that the life boats are right under the deck 8 balconies? If so, I'm guessing I want to move 

my cabin.

Thank you so much!

52 minutes ago, js said:

I specifically booked a BF on Deck 8, right after the Brew House on the Joy because

I wanted the angled balcony and thought it would be a fun new choice (we usually sail in the Haven).

Are you say that the life boats are right under the deck 8 balconies? If so, I'm guessing I want to move 

my cabin.

Thank you so much!

Why would lifeboats be an issue?  As far as I know they are under the deck so won't block your view - but could be a noise issue I suppose if you have tender ports AND they use the lifeboats on that side as tenders.

59 minutes ago, js said:

my cabin.

Thank you so much!

Check a photo on the internet of the outside of the joy and see how far forward your cabin is in relation to the lifeboats. If you’re forward of them I wouldn’t worry about it. Even if they were under you I wouldn’t.

It probably just isn’t the most private, peaceful and driest place to be on board. It gets wet and salty if it’s cold and rough seas. There are also surveillance cameras from the bridge peering at most of that deck. But that’s just my opinion, some people love it because it’s close to the bars. 

1 hour ago, marktwothousand said:

Check a photo on the internet of the outside of the joy and see how far forward your cabin is in relation to the lifeboats. If you’re forward of them I wouldn’t worry about it. Even if they were under you I wouldn’t.

It probably just isn’t the most private, peaceful and driest place to be on board. It gets wet and salty if it’s cold and rough seas. There are also surveillance cameras from the bridge peering at most of that deck. But that’s just my opinion, some people love it because it’s close to the bars. 

Call and pay the difference to upgrade to one of 60 plus category BA that are still available or BC has 27 available or B4 family has 17.

My edocs were just issued. It looks like I have been assigned cabin 99999. I’ve heard both good and bad stories about this. Unfortunately I am not checking in until 11:30 which means I won’t have a huge pick of cabins once I get there. This could go any number of ways at this point. Anyone else ever been assigned 99999?

Well, I’ve been assigned my

actual cabin. It’s not great but at least its Not deck 8. One site says “The balcony of this cabin is angled (narrow on one side) due to the shape of the ship and therefore is smaller than normal.”

it is also directly under the bridge. So I guess I can still forget privacy, although at least the view will be ok. I will plea my case on board.

😞 oh well. 

2 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Well, I’ve been assigned my

actual cabin. It’s not great but at least its Not deck 8. One site says “The balcony of this cabin is angled (narrow on one side) due to the shape of the ship and therefore is smaller than normal.”

it is also directly under the bridge. So I guess I can still forget privacy, although at least the view will be ok. I will plea my case on board.

😞 oh well. 

Good to know they assigned before you showed up at the pier.  I would be frustrated getting on a plane without knowing at least that much.   Hope it works out for you and you have a great cruise

On 8/20/2022 at 2:24 PM, marktwothousand said:

Ya but the ship was so full they could only do a GTY

I just checked for you. This sailing is no where near full. I stopped counting at 50 balcony cabins available. Once they assign you a cabin number, figure out what category it is and then go check inventory. They will gladly move you to any available cabin within that category (and assuming will move you a lower category also if that's what you want). LOTS of choices on this sailing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I just checked for you. This sailing is no where near full. I stopped counting at 50 balcony cabins available. Once they assign you a cabin number, figure out what category it is and then go check inventory. They will gladly move you to any available cabin within that category (and assuming will move you a lower category also if that's what you want). LOTS of choices on this sailing.

Ya tried that. We went to a supervisor. They won’t budge. I’m resigned till boarding and focusing on packing now. 

really really truly appreciate the feedback. I was pretty surprised even a supervisor wouldn’t do it. 

4 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Ya tried that. We went to a supervisor. They won’t budge. I’m resigned till boarding and focusing on packing now. 

really really truly appreciate the feedback. I was pretty surprised even a supervisor wouldn’t do it. 

Very odd. Makes no sense since there are so many cabins available.

Just before boarding I'd recommend going online and noting 5-10 cabins that remain vacant that you would want. That way when you ask onboard you will be one step ahead. 

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just before boarding I'd recommend going online and noting 5-10 cabins that remain vacant that you would want. That way when you ask onboard you will be one step ahead. 

That is my plan. Their rationale was “you paid for BF level balcony and you got BA, so we upgraded you, we’re not changing”. My travel agent even suggested switching to a specific cabin on the same deck in the same category, and they wouldn’t budge.

i might try again tomorrow and see if we can ask for a “downgrade” instead.  

it’s true there seem to be open cabins but I get a sense we are taking on a few hundred crew this sailing for drydock (given the amount of crew signed up in our sailing group on the other site)

25 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Dont forget, They still have all the cabins for the people bidding

Royal Caribbean has a history of allowing these type of changes to a Guarantee assignment.  NCL does not have that history.

1 minute ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Royal Caribbean has a history of allowing these type of changes to a Guarantee assignment.  NCL does not have that history.

Agreed and bottom line is NCL Is under no obligation to change it, which I know. Still doesn’t hurt to keep trying though, which I will. And who knows, maybe it won’t be such a bad balcony afterall. The previous poster linked to a pic of it. 

Agreed and bottom line is NCL Is under no obligation to change it, which I know. Still doesn’t hurt to keep trying though, which I will. And who knows, maybe it won’t be such a bad balcony afterall. The previous poster linked to a pic of it. 

Don't get  upset before your cruise.  You stated you are going solo, so  you  will  have enough room on your balcony,  no matter how angled it is.   Balconies on the Escape are not that big to begin with, so a little bit of an angle won't matter that much.   Once you get onto the ship,  you will forget about your balcony size  and have a great time.  Have fun with your friends.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

You might want to ask about moving cabins once you board at guest services.  There is a cruise expert on youtube who has 850 various videos and on his video about upgrading, he suggested going to customer service the morning after boarding and ask about moving to a different cabin. Sounds like you are ok with staying with the same cabin type. It can't hurt to ask. All they can do is say no.

https://www.youtube.com/c/tipsfortravellers

Edited by genealogyfan
adding a URL

Once upon a time we had a cabin that "made noise".  It didn't bother me...but did bother DH.  They moved us.  If you complain to desk services about "a noise" (or anything else insignificant) they might move you too.

But give your cabin a try....you may actually like it.

• Like 1