Fort lauderdale

Holly g

5 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

What is your feel for the Hilton Marina?  Stayed there often but not since renovation.  I understand there's no restaurant as they had in the past for b'fast?  If you know, I'd appreciate your opinion.

@Oceangoer2

My sister and I stayed there this past January yes it has recently been renovated beautiful lobby but no restaurant but we had a free breakfast included in our booking it was in the conference room with excellent choices of hot and cold items.  As I previously stated there is a $30 USD charge for resort fee but this was also included in our rate.  Could not find a decent price for upcoming cruise in September so booked the Renaissance close to the port for much less.

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

@Oceangoer2

My sister and I stayed there this past January yes it has recently been renovated beautiful lobby but no restaurant but we had a free breakfast included in our booking it was in the conference room with excellent choices of hot and cold items.  As I previously stated there is a $30 USD charge for resort fee but this was also included in our rate.  Could not find a decent price for upcoming cruise in September so booked the Renaissance close to the port for much less.

I know...... the price has increased almost double.  I booked when they first opened reservations for 2022....US $337, now US $500 approx.  Converting that to Cdn. it's increased dramatically.  In 2019 I paid $US 235, before reno...LOL.

Hilton Marina - We have stayed there but they changed breakfast restaurant and also at night there is no bar inside and the bar outside is crowded with not so great food.  It was close to the water taxi but that was about it.  

1 hour ago, dazey said:

Hilton Marina - We have stayed there but they changed breakfast restaurant and also at night there is no bar inside and the bar outside is crowded with not so great food.  It was close to the water taxi but that was about it.  

I enjoyed my stay there this past January. Agree the food in the outside bar did not look appealing but was able to get a cocktail and a coffee that covered the $20 of the $30 resort fee. We ended up going to Kelly's Landing for a nice dinner.  Had a nice room with huge wrap around balcony overlooking the cruise port and saw our  Edge ship docked in the morning. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nhraformula00 said:

Hyatt Place of of 17th street is by far one of the cleanest and nicest hotels in the area and you can get a great price on it by getting a reservation from Valutrips.com. We are staying there in Sept next month pre and post cruise for $119 per night. Embassy Suites does not even come close.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

We stayed at the Hyatt Place in March, having previously stayed at the Embassy Suites. Depends what you are looking for and the price you can find. Both hotels are ready for renovation. Embassy Suites has breakfast and evening socials as benefits, as well as the pool area. Hyatt was fine too. Breakfast Ok but not as wide a choice as Embassy. Pool area is disappointing and certainly wouldn’t classify it as clean or well cared for. Took a taxi from Embassy Suites but being a smaller hotel, the shuttle was easier to use,,,just us and one other couple in the van.  Staff most professional in both hotels.

what about Crowne Plaza compared to Embassy?

I can book either for the same low price (corporate discount). I booked Embassy because it has breakfast, but Crowne looks way less shabby in customer photos, but it doesn't offer free breakfast. There are restaurants within walking distance of Embassy, but nothing around Crowne. We'll have to have dinner after our flight lands at 8 pm, and breakfast the next morning.

For the same $$, I guess I would like less shabby even if I have to pay for breakfast and dinner at the hotel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rockymaya said:

Booked Hyatt Place for our November cruise and it was $129 per night.Embassy Suites wanted $230.

Not really concerned about who has the better breakfast since I get up at 8am and on the ship at noon.Pretty sure I won't starve.

The rate at the Renaissance fort lauderdale marina was $209 canadian which is pretty cheap. No breakfast but Einstein bagels across the street and great coffee.  My boarding time is 11 am so minimal time to kill.   May even have time for a quick swim before breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at hotels in FLL and when I go to the Hilton website it definitely shows the following for the Hilton Marina:

Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Guest internet access; beach transportation; beach towel usage; Galleria coupon booklet; $20 food & beverage credit; two bottled waters daily.

16 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Looking at hotels in FLL and when I go to the Hilton website it definitely shows the following for the Hilton Marina:

Daily Resort Charge will be added to the room rate and includes: Guest internet access; beach transportation; beach towel usage; Galleria coupon booklet; $20 food & beverage credit; two bottled waters daily.

Its only a good value if you are spending time at the beach. Don't understand why they charge for towels or internet.  Most hotels have free internet these days.  You need to spend more money at the Galleria mall to use the coupons. 

We love the Galleria One Doubletree.  Granted it's not close to the port, but not a far ride either.  The rooms are huge, great places to eat directly across the street, and the water taxi stops in front of the pool.  They might even have a shuttle to the port.  The did a few years ago but our group was to large so we got our own shuttle.  

On 8/22/2022 at 11:15 PM, ssbeard1 said:

We are staying there.  We did once before but got in late.   What family friendly restaurants nearby do you recommend - prefer no chain restaurants.   

Duffy's is good.  Kelly's for seafood is across the street just at the end of the plaza but on the side street side, there's an Irish PUb  and I saw a Carraba's of walking map.

I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale and am sailing out of there in Feb.  Since I am coming from the UK, we will fly in 2 days before the cruise to MIA.  I think its more sensible to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.  What is there to do that's interesting?  We will likely only need to be occupied one of the two days :)

14 minutes ago, UKyank said:

I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale and am sailing out of there in Feb.  Since I am coming from the UK, we will fly in 2 days before the cruise to MIA.  I think its more sensible to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.  What is there to do that's interesting?  We will likely only need to be occupied one of the two days 🙂

Hi, there is a water taxi that is an enjoyable few hours......it picks up and drops off at different points along the intercoastal waterway.  Not sure what type of things you are interested in doing but I have done the water taxi multiple times over the years and never tire of it🙂

Here is a link to their website:

https://watertaxi.com/

44 minutes ago, UKyank said:

I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale and am sailing out of there in Feb.  Since I am coming from the UK, we will fly in 2 days before the cruise to MIA.  I think its more sensible to stay in Ft. Lauderdale.  What is there to do that's interesting?  We will likely only need to be occupied one of the two days 🙂

For all things tourist related see the official Fort Lauderdale website:  www.sunny.org.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, there is a water taxi that is an enjoyable few hours......it picks up and drops off at different points along the intercoastal waterway.  Not sure what type of things you are interested in doing but I have done the water taxi multiple times over the years and never tire of it🙂

Here is a link to their website:

https://watertaxi.com/

Thanks for this and the sunny link.  This should be enough.  I've booked in at the Residence Inn Airport and Port... Anyone ever stayed there?  The prices seemed high in Feb across the board.

38 minutes ago, UKyank said:

Thanks for this and the sunny link.  This should be enough.  I've booked in at the Residence Inn Airport and Port... Anyone ever stayed there?  The prices seemed high in Feb across the board.

February in South Florida is right in the middle of the high season.

5 hours ago, WELDON said:

Something similar to the water taxi is the Jungle Queen.  If you are looking for restaurants in the evening, there are lots of choices if you walk up Las Olas.

For those who have taken the Jungle Queen excursion before and are considering it again, note that the Box Office and Boarding site have moved a ways to the Bahia Mar, Dock D.  The last time I passed there was lots of construction going on at the 'old' dock.

There is also another tour boat that leaves from downtown (near the Riverside Hotel and Las Olas Blvd):  the Carrie B.

Both the Jungle Queen and the Carrie B are strictly tours.  The Water Taxi is a hop on/hop off means of transportation with multiple routes that also includes a sightseeing spiel by the captain.

• 2 weeks later...

Considering Hyatt House Fort Lauderdale Airport - South & Cruise Port in Dania Beach.  From what I can see there are restaurants in the area but will need a store to purchase wine and some personal care items that are not TSA friendly to bring in a carry on.  Anyone know of stores walking distance from this hotel?

• Like 1