Review of Silver Moon

jtm1

23 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

The included wines were terrible and rarely from the region. 

That's the comment that was the problem. 

That's your opinion and there's no reason why you shouldn't hold it. You may well be very qualified to form your own opinion.

But to state it baldly as a given that should apply to us all, when it is just your opinion, is annoying.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

That's the comment that was the problem. 

That's your opinion and there's no reason why you shouldn't hold it. You may well be very qualified to form your own opinion.

But to state it baldly as a given that should apply to us all, when it is just your opinion, is annoying.

1 hour ago, mysty said:

You are missing the point.  Yes, you are very welcome to comment on the food and wine.  However, does your vast experience make you the arbiter of good food and good wine?  The implication that you know better than anyone else is the issue.  You could simply say..."In my opinion".  No one would argue with that!

It is ironic that some only find their voice as a result of finding tolerance and kindness from others as a result of others being kind and welcoming to them. 

But a person makes a post with a personal opinion.  How can an opinion be anything other than "personal"?

And so another person feels attacked.  Needlessly.  And in the end they will not post. And their experience and opinions will be lost.  It is a shame.

• Like 5

Jeff, there are more constructive ways for one to make the point.

Consider, "The included wines were basic $10 bottlings which mostly seemed generic and didn't pair well with the food offerings, often because they didn't come from the same region. For instance, they paired a Northern Italian mushroom risotto with a mass-produced pinotage based blend from South Africa. Not really a good local match, and the pinotage had a harshness about it which overwhelmed  the subtle mushroom flavor of the dish."

Vs. "The included wines were terrible."

The latter is just pejorative and offers little opportunity for a productive conversation.

The former would be a nuanced comment which should invite a nice dialogue. And isn't that the type of in-depth analysis that one would expect from a gourmet?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

Jeff, there are more constructive ways for one to make the point.

Consider, "The included wines were basic $10 bottlings which mostly seemed generic and didn't pair well with the food offerings, often because they didn't come from the same region. For instance, they paired a Northern Italian mushroom risotto with a mass-produced pinotage based blend from South Africa. Not really a good local match, and the pinotage had a harshness about it which overwhelmed  the subtle mushroom flavor of the dish."

Vs. "The included wines were terrible."

The latter is just pejorative and offers little opportunity for a productive conversation.

The former would be a nuanced comment which should invite a nice dialogue. And isn't that the type of in-depth analysis that one would expect from a gourmet?

Good Grief JP ....

All of us can express things better but it is how we deal with others on the internet that is the issue.  You are saying that if I were to simply say that "Calamari in my view is disgusting" then that is OK and you will not attack me but if I say that "Calamari is disgusting"  because I didn't add the words "in my opinion" that renders it as  unacceptable and worthy of attacks? 

What your view leaves us with if that someone says "Silversea is wonderful" that will receive no attacks but loads of "likes" but if they were to say that "Silversea is NOT wonderful" they would be attacked unless they added "in my opinion".  How helpful is that for people to learn from?

Let us just leave it that I think more good and decent people are lost to this childishness than are welcomed in and that is a loss to all.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

Sorry, Jeff, but I agree with jp.  Somehow if you should say this to someone you know  it would sound reasonably acceptable, of course, but in print for anyone to read  it does seem abrupt and dismissive, and  gives the impression that the writer thinks they are superior to any reader. 

Lola

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

…it is how we deal with others on the internet that is the issue.

Pot meet Kettle.  A dark knight disguised in white, or a wolf enrobed in the sheep’s clothes, has been summoned to preach the lesson of yore; do as I say, not as I do.

Rich.  Very rich.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It is ironic that some only find their voice as a result of finding tolerance and kindness from others as a result of others being kind and welcoming to them. 

But a person makes a post with a personal opinion.  How can an opinion be anything other than "personal"?

And so another person feels attacked.  Needlessly.  And in the end they will not post. And their experience and opinions will be lost.  It is a shame.

Doing a Truss old boy?

• Like 3

I’ll admit that I’ve been dozing all afternoon and just glanced back.  

I can cope within being sanctioned by the thoughts of Aristotle or Seneca or Socrates or Marcus Aurelia or Confucius …. but wait for it …..  Mysty has just sanctioned me with the thoughts of Agatha Christie in “The Murder at The Vicarage”  and received “likes”  There is no hope for me.  I have been Agathered.

Thank god it wasn’t Enid Blyton and The Famous Five.

Best wishes all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:
I’ll admit that I’ve been dozing all afternoon and just glanced back.  

I can cope within being sanctioned by the thoughts of Aristotle or Seneca or Socrates or Marcus Aurelia or Confucius …. but wait for it …..  Mysty has just sanctioned me with the thoughts of Agatha Christie in “The Murder at The Vicarage”  and received “likes”  There is no hope for me.  I have been Agathered.

Thank god it wasn’t Enid Blyton and The Famous Five.

Best wishes all.

I think Agatha knew hooey when she heard it!  😁

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Did not like the Tiki.  Seems like my taste in food and wine seems to offend the die-hards.  Others think they know food and wine better and perhaps they do, but they do not know my tastes.  I live near a per-eminent wine region, am a gourmet cook and have dined in some of the best restaurants on the planet so I also know a thing or two and along with my own personal taste feel very qualified to comment on the food and wine on SS.  

After the first drink, I have never found a wine I didn't like....I am glad I don't have a palate!👍😎

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, mysty said:

I think Agatha knew hooey when she heard it!  😁

Agatha Christie is a much admired and loved fiction writer.  Every single Agatha book wrote about several murders.  I don’t think that even she would ever believe in her wildest dreams that a rational thoughtful person would think that she was a philosophical supporter of murder. 

Anyway … let Agatha’s writings be your guiding light …….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Agatha Christie is a much admired and loved fiction writer.  Every single Agatha book wrote about several murders.  I don’t think that even she would ever believe in her wildest dreams that a rational thoughtful person would think that she was a philosophical supporter of murder. 

Anyway … let Agatha’s writings be your guiding light …….

She wrote about murders.   But the quote in question did not relate to murder.   When something rings true, regardless of the source, does it not make sense to consider the potential wisdom in it? 😁

12 minutes ago, mysty said:

She wrote about murders.   But the quote in question did not relate to murder.   When something rings true, regardless of the source, does it not make sense to consider the potential wisdom in it? 😁

It was a quote from one of her fictional books. It wasn’t an expression of her personal philosophy.  

My sin here is that I broke my embargo to defend someone who had been attacked.  If it appears that I’m disappointed having seen your growth and path and finding your voice and blossoming here subsequently to be  a poster leading that attack then I am sorry you feel that I’m wrong.  

I simply wished to defend someone from being harassed for expressing their opinion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

If you really want to escape the things that harass you, what you're needing is not to be in a different place but to be a different person.

Lucius Annaeus Seneca

One never tires of Seneca

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness.””

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It was a quote from one of her fictional books. It wasn’t an expression of her personal philosophy.  

My sin here is that I broke my embargo to defend someone who had been attacked.  If it appears that I’m disappointed having seen your growth and path and finding your voice and blossoming here subsequently to be  a poster leading that attack then I am sorry you feel that I’m wrong.  

I simply wished to defend someone from being harassed for expressing their opinion.

I didn't say it was her philosophy Jeff.  I said it was a thought expressed that rang true.  I'm sorry you think that I have gone to the dark side.   And I'm also sorry that you think I lead an attack.   It wasn't intended as an attack.   It was meant to clarify that the poster was not suggesting that anyone who did in fact enjoy the wines on offer was wrong to do so.  And the generalizations carried that sense.  So who was more wronged here?  You have your underdog and I have mine.  😁

13 minutes ago, mysty said:

I didn't say it was her philosophy Jeff.  I said it was a thought expressed that rang true.  I'm sorry you think that I have gone to the dark side.   And I'm also sorry that you think I lead an attack.   It wasn't intended as an attack.   It was meant to clarify that the poster was not suggesting that anyone who did in fact enjoy the wines on offer was wrong to do so.  And the generalizations carried that sense.  So who was more wronged here?  You have your underdog and I have mine.  😁

But the poster didn’t suggest or imply that anyone enjoying the wine was wrong to do so, did they. 

• Thanks 1

Jeff,  this is a tempest in a teapot.   Not worth the energy from either one of us.   Philosophy (whether it be from Greek or Roman thinkers or a bit from a novel that rang true) is much more interesting to discuss than interpretation of someone's blanket statements about wine! 😄