Faster to the Fun

HD2003

We are new to Carnival, with the exception of me cruising on the original Mardi Gras as a teen in 1972 or 1973.  We are interested in the Faster to the Fun option and we are wondering if it is available on the Mardi Gras.  I just booked the Mardi Gras for a 7 day Western Caribbean in January 2024 and the Faster to the Fun is grey instead of black in the planner.  Does anyone know if this is not available on the Mardi Gras or if it is too soon for the opportunity to purchase it.  TIA

If it ever comes back, history would suggest it would be sometime between June and September 2023 for a January 2024 sailing.

Note that Faster to the Fun benefits may not be offered if there are a large number of Diamond/Platinum guests. And if the OP has anything from that sailing in the 1970s (especially if it has the sailing date), there is a process to claim VIFP points for that sailing.

Guest BasicSailor
31 minutes ago, tidecat said:

If it ever comes back, history would suggest it would be sometime between June and September 2023 for a January 2024 sailing.

Note that Faster to the Fun benefits may not be offered if there are a large number of Diamond/Platinum guests. And if the OP has anything from that sailing in the 1970s (especially if it has the sailing date), there is a process to claim VIFP points for that sailing.

I think the current boarding procedures will continue whereas P&D are requested/ offered/ allowed to pick boarding times before hand. FTTF will return for those that are willing to pay.

2 hours ago, HD2003 said:

We are new to Carnival, with the exception of me cruising on the original Mardi Gras as a teen in 1972 or 1973.  We are interested in the Faster to the Fun option and we are wondering if it is available on the Mardi Gras.  I just booked the Mardi Gras for a 7 day Western Caribbean in January 2024 and the Faster to the Fun is grey instead of black in the planner.  Does anyone know if this is not available on the Mardi Gras or if it is too soon for the opportunity to purchase it.  TIA

MG is awesome! Check out Big Chicken for lunch and bfast.  Emeril's is soooo good.  ChiBang's is  a pretty restaurant but food-wise average.  Street Eatz is great with snacks changing daily.  Go get gelato by the shawarma station on Lido.  Have fun!!  

Our recent experience in New Orleans on two different ships - if you arrive for your appointment after 1100 on time you are on board in like ten minutes or less- why pay extra?    Back before all changes I can remember cooling my heels for an hour in verious lines and waiting areas.  If everyone shows up at 10:30 and boarding starts at 11:15 I could see saving a wait.  

My guess (and it's just that, my crystal ball doesn't work better than anyone else's) is that if they do start selling FTTF again, which I believe they will, it will not include first access to the staterooms.  I find it interesting that in the listing of benefits for diamond/platinum they have completely removed any language regarding stateroom access, rather than footnoting a temporary change like they did with other benefits.

3 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

My guess (and it's just that, my crystal ball doesn't work better than anyone else's) is that if they do start selling FTTF again, which I believe they will, it will not include first access to the staterooms.  I find it interesting that in the listing of benefits for diamond/platinum they have completely removed any language regarding stateroom access, rather than footnoting a temporary change like they did with other benefits.

Or, could they maybe, when they reinstate FTTF (which I'm sure they will (even though, admittedly, my crystal ball shattered years ago) because it is an easy revenue source), include the immediate access to cabins, but not reinstate it for Platinum and Diamonds?  Then Plats & Ds would be in the potential purchaser pool for FTTF?  Could get some to spend some more $, if it is something they value.  But oh boy, won't it peeve some higher loyalty level people off if they do that?

• Like 1

FTTF is probably a little overrated.  I was able to snag a 10:30 port arrival time... this was after the systems were down for an upgrade.  I didn't do check in until about 7am and all time slots from 10:30 on were available.

We did sit in the terminal for a while but so did all those diamond/platinums who got 10:00 am appointments.  Boarding started shortly after 11 and we were on the ship a little after 11:30.

Nobody knows for sure except a handful of suits at the Carnival office.  However, it's a big moneymaker for Carnival since it essentially costs them nothing, so you can bet they're going to bring it back as soon as possible.  Probably the only thing holding them back is getting staffed up enough to ensure that the FTTF cabins can be made ready in time.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, iria64 said:

FTTF is probably a little overrated.  I was able to snag a 10:30 port arrival time... this was after the systems were down for an upgrade.  I didn't do check in until about 7am and all time slots from 10:30 on were available.

We did sit in the terminal for a while but so did all those diamond/platinums who got 10:00 am appointments.  Boarding started shortly after 11 and we were on the ship a little after 11:30.

We used to buy it, not so much for "early" boarding, but so that our stateroom would be ready when we did.  I suppose that we will all have to re-evaluate the value of the program when it returns, as I assume the benefits will have changed.

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, groundloop said:

Nobody knows for sure except a handful of suits at the Carnival office.  However, it's a big moneymaker for Carnival since it essentially costs them nothing, so you can bet they're going to bring it back as soon as possible.  Probably the only thing holding them back is getting staffed up enough to ensure that the FTTF cabins can be made ready in time.

Staffing is likely an issue for sure.  But until the return to their original hierarchy such as during the boarding process they really can't sell FTTF either.

So, when the time comes, and they go back to allowing Platinum/Diamond their perks too, then they can resume FTTF - if they didn't and allowed FTTF to jump the line there would be riots in the streets lol!

That makes sense.  It was interesting I spotted a stateroom attendant carrying a printout departure morning.  So presumably it would say - of your zillion rooms to prepare, start with the Diamond/Platinum (+FTTF) ones, as those guests will be the earliest to arrive.    It might indicate any special requests also.  This time I made a little card "vacant" and wedged it by the lock as we left- how depressing if the first rooms to be cleaned had someone still in them at 9:00 

Thanks everyone for all the replies.  The staffing issue makes sense.  My wife cruised at the end of May with my daughter and they both said staffing issues changed the experience but they both also said they had a great time.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:53 PM, bankofdad said:

Cruising in a few weeks, haven't sailed since "the world ended".  Really looking forward to cruise #24!  Question - it looks like FTTF is gone.  Anyone know if this is fact?

Yes, it is gone for now. I check every day though for my booked cruises. it could return at any time now.