Carnival under 18 curfew

asalligo

3 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

The problem with this line of thinking is that the port countries don't want to be stuck with problematic people dumping problems that they then have to deal with (basically an international incident) and the cruise lines will have some explaining to do if they keep coming back missing passengers. It's not a good look and that is why it's avoided unless absolutely necessary. People have this idea that cruise lines can just dump passengers off all willy-nilly without a lot of blowback/paperwork and it just isn't so. Maybe if they sailed from their flagged ship countries maybe, sailing from the US with largely US passengers, not so much. What they can do is ban folks from future sailings and have a no-cruise lists like airlines do. The problem there is that there will be labels of racism or some kind of "isms" to deal with and that can be a PR nightmare trap as well. It's a bit more complicated than many realize.     

Then why is JH on Facebook saying that can happen? Empty threats aren't helping the situation.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

Then why is JH on Facebook saying that can happen? Empty threats aren't helping the situation.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, it "can" happen for sure but how many times has it happened and what did it take for it to happen? Sure, everyone remembers the family that terrorized a ship and a few other extreme cases but that's about it. Those waiting for a line to change, instead of changing the line, will be waiting in vain IMO. They have limited options in these cases for the reasons mentioned previously.     

10 hours ago, ALKID said:

Oh what kid didn’t ever go around ringing the door bell and running.  At least let them have a little bit of fun and get in a little bit of mischief.  That’s part of being a kid after all.  

All well and good for the kid, but others on vacation and it is not your kid's right to ruin it. If you were paying for everyone's cruise that they are ringing the bell or knocking on the door, then I would agree with you. But, I doubt you are paying for 1,000 rooms on the ship. 

Are you OK with my discipline method on your kid if I catch them doing this to me on a cruise? I am fairly certain it would be their very first act of receiving discipline. You are probably one of the timeout parents that send their kid to their room, give them ice cream, and buy them a new PS5 for misbehaving.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, ALKID said:

Oh what kid didn’t ever go around ringing the door bell and running.  At least let them have a little bit of fun and get in a little bit of mischief.  That’s part of being a kid after all.  

Apologize to your parents because you were a bad child. I, nor any of my friends ever did anything like that and if we did the punishment would have been severe. 

• Like 5

I love reading all these "Todays kids are horrible" comments.

I mean, these are your kids or grandkids. They learned this from watching you or listening to your stories.

In my opinion, todays kids are much more well behaved than I ever thought of being and I come from the generation where a daily whooping took place, sometimes, just because.

Of course, there are outliers, but the generalization and putting all kids in the same bucket is wrong in all facets of life.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I mean, these are your kids or grandkids. They learned this from watching you or listening to your stories.

In my opinion, todays kids are much more well behaved than I ever thought of being and I come from the generation where a daily whooping took place, sometimes, just because.

Of course, there are outliers, but the generalization and putting all kids in the same bucket is wrong in all facets of life.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:34 PM, matymil said:

Yeah they seemed to take a vacation from all their parenting responsibilities. Honestly though, I think that did have alot to do with how bad it was. That was more than likely alot of families first trip post covid so the kids were unleashed and the parents just let them loose for lack of a better term.

i guess DW and I have been fortunate that we have not run into this. We have been cruising again since things started back up (about a year or so ago at this point), and have avoided this.

On 9/6/2022 at 5:32 AM, MommytoAsquared said:

On the Pride this summer, a comedian teased a girl in the front row (about 13 ish), not only did she jump up and smart off to the comedian, she turned and yelled at the rest of the audience.  If I recall correctly, she yelled "If you call me entitled, I'm going to act entitled."  Even her little brother was embarrassed and grabbed her arm to get her to sit down.

This was in the roaming pack from the teens club.  They came to the comedy show every. single. night. and tried to heckle the comedian from the front row.  My teens were with me and found them obnoxious.

On our Sunshine cruise a week ago, I heard the comedy host state "no heckling" as part of the "rules".  I bet that's because of instances like the one you referenced.  I don't believe I heard "no heckling" stated on previous cruises.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:53 AM, bguppies said:

What happens when parents stay in one cabin and the kids stay in a separate cabin.

Carnival needed to stick to somebody over 21 being in each cabin, rather than just allowing them to switch cabins after boarding.

Regardless of which family member is in each cabin, parents still need to be accountable for their minor children on  board

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 7:51 AM, klfrodo said:

Yeah I get what you are saying.  I think one big difference is while my generation did some really awesomely dumb things that got us into trouble, we were generally much more respectful to others.  Disrespect was not tolerated to the extent it is today, IMO.  

• Like 4

I've been on 5 Carnival cruises since the restart, and while I am a "kids will be kids" kind of person, it seemed to me that the groups of kids causing problems got worse on each cruise.  And they did not wait until after 1 to cause problems.  If you follow John Heald's page you would have seen more and more complaints about thee kind of problems.  They are going to have to step up and actually have consequences for bad behavior, whatever time it happens, or it will continue to get worse as Carnival's reputation follows the same course.  If they do not step up their interventions and actual enforcement, it's a useless gesture.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yeah I get what you are saying.  I think one big difference is while my generation did some really awesomely dumb things that got us into trouble, we were generally much more respectful to others.  Disrespect was not tolerated to the extent it is today, IMO.  

I wouldn’t consider knock knock run, egging houses and cars, or TP’ing yards as being respectful of others.

4 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I wouldn’t consider knock knock run, egging houses and cars, or TP’ing yards as being respectful of others.

No argument.    I was thinking more of the yes ma'am, no ma'am type interactions than pranks. 

5 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Sometimes TPing yards was part of tradition.  We used to b able to use common sense in enforcing rules, today all we have are bright line distinctions, if exceptions are allowed they are abused.  So I do not think Carnival had a choice, they had to take some action because the problems were actually escalating.  However, the kids causing the problems were already blatantly breaking Carnival rules, and nothing was done about it. Unless there is enforcement, it's just another rule to be ignored by many people.

• Like 1

We do five or six cruises a year and have not had any problems with young kids. The reason we don't have those problems is we only sail between the middle of September and late April, while doing our best to avoid Easter and spring break, and don't take cruises of less than seven days.

Kids on cruise ships will always be a problem. When you put them into an unfamiliar situation they often do unexpected things. Some pout and whine, some throw fits, some are off the leash for the first time and push to find the boundaries. Nothing Carnival can do will change any of that. Carnival can only address the worst behavior and it would help (but only help - not solve) the problem if they would kick some families off when the behavior is egregious and "on tape."

Will a curfew help? A little.

Tradition doesn’t excuse poor behaviors.

Maybe within the youth cruiser community, it’s “Tradition” to run screaming down the halls kicking over room service trays while knocking on doors.

Since it “Traditional”, I guess it’s okay?

We can’t make up excuses for our poor choices in behavior, while admonishing “Todays Kids”.

27 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Tradition doesn’t excuse poor behaviors.

Maybe within the youth cruiser community, it’s “Tradition” to run screaming down the halls kicking over room service trays while knocking on doors.

Since it “Traditional”, I guess it’s okay?

We can’t make up excuses for our poor choices in behavior, while admonishing “Todays Kids”.

No.  At our school It was the Football players vs. the cheerleaders before homecoming trying to do it and not get caught.  That is totally different.  It was a school tradition, along with senior pranks and some other mischievous things.  That's called letting kids be kids.  Trying to make kids be perfect little grownups actually does not work.

4 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

No.  At our school It was the Football players vs. the cheerleaders before homecoming trying to do it and not get caught.  That is totally different.  It was a school tradition, along with senior pranks and some other mischievous things.  That's called letting kids be kids.  Trying to make kids be perfect little grownups actually does not work.

I agree 100%

What I can’t agree with is posters who want to do nothing but complain about “Todays Kids” while easily forgetting how they were as children.

Is there room for improvement? Yes

Will the curfew help? Some, maybe

But are todays kids worse than we were? No. In many respects I think they are better behaved than we were. We didn’t have phones that we could be immediately reached on. We didn’t have location tracking. We didn’t have speed/emergency braking recording devices on our cars. We didn’t have social media pages with pictures/video/sound of our activities.

• Like 1

DH and I just got off of a Labor Day weekend cruise and I didn't see any shenanigans but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Lots of under 18 year old kids.  I'm glad Carnival has instituted a curfew if only for the safety of the kids on board.  That saying "nothing good happens after midnight" is there for a reason.

• Like 3