Live Reports - Cruising on Coral Princess September 2022.

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Well we did get to see the Conflict Islands ... from the ship. Unfortunately the conditions were not suitable for safe trips ashore - the jetty there is a pontoon so vulnerable to sea and wind conditions. After sending a tender ashore to check things out the Captain and shore officials made the call to cancel or visit there. Plus it was raining! 😪 Ah well, maybe another time!

Actually we arrived there later than originally scheduled. The ship ended up having to go to Alotau to complete formalities so we knew we would arrive late. Princess agreed with PNG officials to dock there at 5am but in the end the officials didn't turn up until 6am this delaying our arrival even further. But it was all in vain as the weather decided not to cooperate either. 

So we're back at sea making our way down to Sydney. We've actually only been off the ship once since we left Sydney. We didn't bother going ashore at Brisbane, Airlie Beach and Port Douglas, and only popped ashore in Cairns for a quick fish and chip lunch at a cafe close to the cruise terminal. 

Disappointing, but that has happened on a couple of past sailings, usually when unsafe for the ship to navigate into the atoll.

Oh well, just another navigational stop like Willis Island. That makes a lot of sea days in a row, which isn't all that bad.

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

That is a shame Julie.  It is always disappointing.  The only thing worse is when the first group lands and they then stop further landings.  

They actually had a couple of tenders loaded and ready to go over from the ship. Luckily we weren't in a hurry to get off the ship.

Just now, arxcards said:

Disappointing, but that has happened on a couple of past sailings, usually when unsafe for the ship to navigate into the atoll.

Oh well, just another navigational stop like Willis Island. That makes a lot of sea days in a row, which isn't all that bad.

We actually got in this time. 

We like sea days, thank goodness.😊

• Like 3

No Conflict Island visit…, after all the dramas recently re ships going there or not, it is an anticlimax not being able to land today. For many on the current cruise the Conflicts were a drawcard.

Commiserations my friends.😢

Edited by NSWP

On 10/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, arxcards said:

@OzKiwiJJ

I don't usually take a lot of notice of the jewellery shops, apart to have noticed they have some nice stuff, some exxxy stuff, and watches. Do they have any pearl earrings, pendants, necklaces under $1K?

We have our 30th onboard next weekend, and I am thinking it would be a nice touch vs shopping at the local jewellers this week.

I was on the lookout for pearls in August but they had nothing that I could see - a few freshwater ones I think but not in Effy (and not particularly good ones I think). Suggest maybe a good jeweller before you go. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Shame about missing Conflict Islands as I think it is one of the best island visits in that area of of the South Pacific but if it was raining, beach going loses its appeal.

That's two no shows for me. Previous visit on Aria, we couldn't anchor due to high winds.

I have a third go next month on Encounter.

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

That's two no shows for me. Previous visit on Aria, we couldn't anchor due to high winds.

I have a third go next month on Encounter.

Hopefully 3rd time lucky, expensive misses for you.

Edited by NSWP

Another newbie question please. I assume all onboard purchases are made via the medallion.  I also assume you check the status of your account via the app.  Is there any other way to check your account during the cruise yourself?  ie via the cabin tv or would it just be via guest services.  Thanks.

40 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Another newbie question please. I assume all onboard purchases are made via the medallion.  I also assume you check the status of your account via the app.  Is there any other way to check your account during the cruise yourself?  ie via the cabin tv or would it just be via guest services.  Thanks.

Yes, cabin TV. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

Is there any other way to check your account during the cruise yourself?  ie via the cabin tv or would it just be via guest services.  Thanks.

There is also a self-serve kiosk/terminal (can't remember which deck) where you scan your medalion and print out your account. However, be aware they charge you 35 cents for the priveledge lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, andlep said:

There is also a self-serve kiosk/terminal (can't remember which deck) where you scan your medalion and print out your account. However, be aware they charge you 35 cents for the priveledge lol.

The machine is on the deck where guest services are, Deck 5 - Plaza, midships.   I printed out my a/c 3 times, no charge, maybe an Elite perk, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

A bit mean charging for the print out, I know it is only 35 cents but it is the principle. I don't possess a smart phone or i phone, just ye olde flip phone, no data, Aldi card job. I also do not possess a credit card, used my debit card.  Ship accepted that debit card, although having $350 obc for a 9 night cruise recently on Coral I had no bill to pay, burnt just about every cent of the OBC.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

A bit mean charging for the print out, I know it is only 35 cents but it is the principle. I don't possess a smart phone or i phone, just ye olde flip phone, no data, Aldi card job. I also do not possess a credit card, used my debit card.  Ship accepted that debit card, although having $350 obc for a 9 night cruise recently on Coral I had no bill to pay, burnt just about every cent of the OBC.

I think the charge is not for printing but for using a credit card as they say it will get a surcharge

1 minute ago, windsor26 said:

I think the charge is not for printing but for using a credit card as they say it will get a surcharge

You may be right, but a check of your a/c is not a purchase in my mind.

Edited by NSWP

12 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

No longer through the TV. 

Guest Services is best as the printout comes out better but there is also a kiosk machine just across from the Good Spirits Bar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No longer through the TV. 

Guest Services is best as the printout comes out better but there is also a kiosk machine just across from the Good Spirits Bar.

Thats the one I used and was never charged. The printout from there was ok.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Yes, that amount is the credit card surcharge that will apply if your current balance is paid by credit card. It only shows if you have a credit card attached to your account.

• Thanks 1

Oops, we just did it again. 

We're enjoying being on Coral Princess so much and Sydney weather still looks like being wet and cool so we've booked ourselves on the 11th Oct Round Australia cruise. We go home for three days between this cruise and that one. We don't want to stay on for the three day booze cruise!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Oops, we just did it again. 

We're enjoying being on Coral Princess so much and Sydney weather still looks like being wet and cool so we've booked ourselves on the 11th Oct Round Australia cruise. We go home for three days between this cruise and that one. We don't want to stay on for the three day booze cruise!

Wow! You are close to taking up residence on the Coral.

• Like 2