Don’t Get Covid on Princess

memoak

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Blood draw plus tests Plus prescription around $1,200 USD. We will be filing for reimbursement from our health plan when we get home

be sure to get a itemized statement from the medical center - may cost you $28

also be sure to get a finalized folio from your cruise showing you paid the medical cost which was charged to your on board account

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 10:19 AM, memoak said:

I think the difference is that this ship is over run with covid cases. Medical services has not checked in on since the got us Paxlovid. Guest services is useless we port tomorrow and have no idea of any process. Our food orders are almost always incorrect and sometimes they do not even send 2 sets of utensils. When I called for another I was told it would take 1/2 hour to find someone allowed to come to covid zone. I also believe they have more cases than they have contracted rooms for and we are all having to find rooms ourselves from a list they gave and hope we will be reimbursed someday 

Did you have to pay for the PAXLOVID antiviral medication the ship's medical gave you for your COVID?  Hope you two are doing well with no rebound issue. 

3 hours ago, memoak said:

Blood draw plus tests Plus prescription around $1,200 USD. We will be filing for reimbursement from our health plan when we get home

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

also be sure to get a finalized folio from your cruise showing you paid the medical cost which was charged to your on board account

Speaking from a bad experience, let me add to be SURE and do this before the last day. DON'T accept any promises about showing up before disembarkation.  Mine did not, and I never was able to get any satisfaction after disembarking. Let's just say that they beat me down and I made a pretty good donation toward paying down their debt.

Please, no comments needed about what I should have done.  While it was a tidy sum, it was not life changing, or worth the aggravation, so I just put it behind me and moved on.

Edited by 2 cruises a year
typo
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

The medical center will send you a separate accounting with medical codes to make filling out the claim forms. We have done this before for other illness

Off the ship now. Easily at least 500 or more covid cases. The line to get off wound all the way around prom deck at least twice. There was also several hundred who never got on board in Whittier due to positive tests

• Thanks 3

Paxlovid is not yet FDA approved and has side effects. Did anyone who took it have any reaction to it? I am home and my Dr. offered it but I declined although I'm high risk but not really that sick. Sometimes the cure is worse then the disease. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Off the ship now. Easily at least 500 or more covid cases. The line to get off wound all the way around prom deck at least twice. There was also several hundred who never got on board in Whittier due to positive tests

I’ve been out of town and just got caught up with your posts. Thank you for reporting your experience. It nearly exactly mirrors what my husband went through on the Ruby Princess in late March/ early April. The total lack of any kind of medical care is the reason he basically (verbally) pushed me off the ship in Hawaii. I tested negative, but still ended up getting sick but was able to get home and have access to my own (excellent) health care, which I needed because I was sick for four months. 

There was a lot to criticize when it came to Princess COVID quarantine care (and it sounds like there still is) but the lack of medical monitoring is the very worst. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, alanasgpa said:

Has anybody that was isolated received any type of FCC for the missed cruise days while in isolation??

My husband received an FCC for the number of days he was in quarantine times his per diem cruise fare. It appeared automatically in his Captains Circle account as soon as he got out of quarantine. 

• Like 2

An observation on this topic from an Australian perspective. We were on B2B2B Coral Princess cruises in August this year, when unfortunately 2 days after joining the first cruise my husband started to feel unwell. 2 negative RAT tests followed by a negative PCR followed by a positive PCR (over 2 day period) and we  both went into quarantine. We are both sure that he caught the virus on the day we boarded from an obviously unwell hotel waitress. I then tested positive 3 days later.

From the moment we were advised by medical that we were positive to the day we left we have nothing but praise for the treatment we received. 

All medical tests, medication, anti-virals and daily check ups by a nurse were provided free of charge.

Every day we received a call from guest services to see if we needed anything.

Every day we received the restaurant menus to choose our meals from. We could nominate a delivery time and it would come within approximately 20 minutes of that time. We could order from room service at any time, and priority was given to us - I discovered this fact when calling down one afternoon for a cup of tea to be advised that they were very busy and there was about an hour wait. There was a brief pause and the attended said “I am so sorry, you are in quarantine, the tea will be straight up”.

We were provided with free drinks (and because we had the drink package we received a goodwill credit to our account to compensate) and free wifi.

The night before arrival at our disembarkation port we were asked to keep our bags in the room and they were collected separately and were waiting for us (wrapped in plastic) once we disembarked.

Because we were still in quarantine Princess provided a private car to take us home.

I realise that not everyone has had the same experience but for us I have nothing but praise for the way we were treated. Quarantine in a cabin is not a lot of fun, but at least I didn’t have to cook!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, Bluesky014 said:

An observation on this topic from an Australian perspective. We were on B2B2B Coral Princess cruises in August this year, when unfortunately 2 days after joining the first cruise my husband started to feel unwell. 2 negative RAT tests followed by a negative PCR followed by a positive PCR (over 2 day period) and we  both went into quarantine. We are both sure that he caught the virus on the day we boarded from an obviously unwell hotel waitress. I then tested positive 3 days later.

From the moment we were advised by medical that we were positive to the day we left we have nothing but praise for the treatment we received. 

All medical tests, medication, anti-virals and daily check ups by a nurse were provided free of charge.

Every day we received a call from guest services to see if we needed anything.

Every day we received the restaurant menus to choose our meals from. We could nominate a delivery time and it would come within approximately 20 minutes of that time. We could order from room service at any time, and priority was given to us - I discovered this fact when calling down one afternoon for a cup of tea to be advised that they were very busy and there was about an hour wait. There was a brief pause and the attended said “I am so sorry, you are in quarantine, the tea will be straight up”.

We were provided with free drinks (and because we had the drink package we received a goodwill credit to our account to compensate) and free wifi.

The night before arrival at our disembarkation port we were asked to keep our bags in the room and they were collected separately and were waiting for us (wrapped in plastic) once we disembarked.

Because we were still in quarantine Princess provided a private car to take us home.

I realise that not everyone has had the same experience but for us I have nothing but praise for the way we were treated. Quarantine in a cabin is not a lot of fun, but at least I didn’t have to cook!

Do they have different Covid policies for charging for Covid medical related expenses depending on region? I am confused, but glad while ill you were taken care of.

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I’ve been out of town and just got caught up with your posts. Thank you for reporting your experience. It nearly exactly mirrors what my husband went through on the Ruby Princess in late March/ early April. The total lack of any kind of medical care is the reason he basically (verbally) pushed me off the ship in Hawaii. I tested negative, but still ended up getting sick but was able to get home and have access to my own (excellent) health care, which I needed because I was sick for four months. 

There was a lot to criticize when it came to Princess COVID quarantine care (and it sounds like there still is) but the lack of medical monitoring is the very worst. 

Wow.  4 months, J!!  That's a long time for a vaxxed and boosted individual, but anyone can be affected differently depending on personal health and immune system.  We just had it back in August (a Lady Gaga concert) and it was only about 4 days really feeling any symptoms for me and then on the wane, but negative test result took to Day 9 I think.  That was a long time for you to join the "super-immune" club.  I don't mind now that we went through it briefly here as it should help us when we head over to Europe at end of month.  Hope all is well there now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, memoak said:

that should be a criminal act. You infect someone who dies and that is called manslaughter

Not suggesting the poster you replied to was going to isolate or not, but a guest might decide to isolate in their own cabin and order room service rather than go into formal quarantine and aren't going to infect anyone anymore than if they were in the ward area.  I guess they would be forgoing any FCC that is granted for the missed days, however.  I imagine things will transition to isolating in one's own cabin like they do for Noro cases in due course and they won't have a quarantine deck.  Your voyage certainly got a lot of cases it would appear.  Hope you are doing okay now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Paxlovid is not yet FDA approved and has side effects. Did anyone who took it have any reaction to it? I am home and my Dr. offered it but I declined although I'm high risk but not really that sick. Sometimes the cure is worse then the disease. 

No reactions at all and my wife is a lung cancer survivor. We did have to stop a few of our regular meds

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not suggesting the poster you replied to was going to isolate or not, but a guest might decide to isolate in their own cabin and order room service rather than go into formal quarantine and aren't going to infect anyone anymore than if they were in the ward area.  I guess they would be forgoing any FCC that is granted for the missed days, however.  I imagine things will transition to isolating in one's own cabin like they do for Noro cases in due course and they won't have a quarantine deck.  Your voyage certainly got a lot of cases it would appear.  Hope you are doing okay now.

It looks like a lot of cases came on with people from the land tour prior to the southbound leg

1 minute ago, memoak said:

No reactions at all and my wife is a lung cancer survivor. We did have to stop a few of our regular meds

It looks like a lot of cases came on with people from the land tour prior to the southbound leg

Very good as I to have read of reactions to the Paxlovid. 

Yes, I have read that cases get going on the land tour and then onto the ship.  That's what we plan to do someday - tour Alaska and then take the ship south.  But that will be some time from now for reasons of preferring to do other things at this time and defer on Alaska for time being.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Very good as I to have read of reactions to the Paxlovid. 

Yes, I have read that cases get going on the land tour and then onto the ship.  That's what we plan to do someday - tour Alaska and then take the ship south.  But that will be some time from now for reasons of preferring to do other things at this time and defer on Alaska for time being.

This seems to be the general consensus.  I am wondering why.  I am wondering if they were tested prior to boarding by Princess?  

I don't see any changes by Princess.  Passengers will continue to do as they do.  My only concern would be for those passengers who actually know they have covid and continue to act as if they don't.  I can understand if a passenger has no symptoms and doesn't know they are infectious.  I have absolutely no respect for those that blatantly disregard common courtesy for selfish reasons.  

But then again, I was a teacher my entire work career.  Parents sent their kids to school SICK..... I managed to build up enough immunities that I didn't get the dreaded September passing illnesses that newbies fell ill to.  Unfortunately, like ALL teachers, we got sick over vacation periods.

• Like 1

I also believe that if an announcement about masks is a recommendation, then guests are going to make personal choices and cannot be faulted for this.  A requirement is another thing, however.  But if guests observe that an announced requirement is not enforced, it then becomes a recommendation in minds eye.  Or perhaps even less so since the ship's management is not backing their words. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Wow.  4 months, J!!  That's a long time for a vaxxed and boosted individual, but anyone can be affected differently depending on personal health and immune system.  We just had it back in August (a Lady Gaga concert) and it was only about 4 days really feeling any symptoms for me and then on the wane, but negative test result took to Day 9 I think.  That was a long time for you to join the "super-immune" club.  I don't mind now that we went through it briefly here as it should help us when we head over to Europe at end of month.  Hope all is well there now.

Thank you! Yep, it kind of ended with a bang about a month ago when urgent care sent me to the ER with a VERY high fever, hacking cough and severe headache, and the doc there prescribed yet another drug cocktail that finally worked, seemingly for good. 

IT is NOT just like the flu to everyone. 

It looks like G is cruising again in October…alone. I am unwilling to go through all that again. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, MissP22 said:

That seems about the same when we cruises in March. Not many people were interested in wearing a mask back then either.

I suppose it's just not the right time for people to cruise if they still have any reservations about catching Covid. 

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t have reservations about spending their cruise in quarantine 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, antsp said:

Simple solution is never never ever tell Princess you have covid......... 

You asked why we told Princess when my wife tested positive on a self test the night before disembarkation. We ended up spending five days in isolation at a hotel near Heathrow Airport at Princess expense plus another 5 days before we could fly back to the US. I believe my answer now is the same as it was then. We felt it was the right thing to do. 

Edited by billco
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, billco said:

You asked why we told Princess when my wife tested positive on a self test the night before disembarkation. We ended up spending five days in isolation at a hotel near Heathrow Airport at Princess expense plus another 5 days before we could fly back to the US. I believe my answer now is the same as it was then. We felt it was the right thing to do. 

Personal choice, something I wouldn't do. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Thank you! Yep, it kind of ended with a bang about a month ago when urgent care sent me to the ER with a VERY high fever, hacking cough and severe headache, and the doc there prescribed yet another drug cocktail that finally worked, seemingly for good. 

IT is NOT just like the flu to everyone. 

It looks like G is cruising again in October…alone. I am unwilling to go through all that again. 

When did you finally catch Covid? Your blog doesn’t mention it, just that you tested negative, but were very sick. I am glad to read you are feeling well now. 
Good for G. to decide to cruise again. We all make our own decisions, and have to live with whichever way the dice rolls. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Why would you expect any FCC.  After all you are on the ship.  If you had an accident of some type and were laid up in your cabin for a few days because you couldn't get around would you also expect FCC.  Also back in the day when the big issue was noro and you were isolated in your cabin because of it I am sure that people didn't expect FCC for their noro days.

From the Princess web site:

If you, your family members, travel companions or other close contacts are quarantined or medically isolated during your voyage as a result of a positive COVID-19 test during your cruise or are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit for missed cruise days, including time in quarantine, for you, your travel party and any confirmed close contacts.

• Like 2