Don’t Get Covid on Princess

memoak

I have a thought and I'd like some other's opinions on this.  Setting aside the issues of non-compliance with mask wearing and handwashing etc...  I understand that viruses tend to have increased spread during cold/winter weather.  DW & I took a Caribbean Cruise in January, and we won't be setting foot on another ship until February of next year to sail to the S. Pacific.  The Alaska cruise and New England and Canada cruise we took before Covid were both cold weather sailings where the upper outdoor decks were devoid of passengers due to the cold weather.  This caused more and more people to be indoors during the length of the cruise.  It just seems to me that it may also be that cold weather/winter weather cruises may be more conducive to Covid spread as opposed to warm/hot weather cruises.  Any thoughts on this?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It just seems to me that it may also be that cold weather/winter weather cruises may be more conducive to Covid spread as opposed to warm/hot weather cruises.  Any thoughts on this?

Seems emminently logical. The more time people spend in enclosed spaces with numerous other people, the greater the opportunity for virus transmission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

It just seems to me that it may also be that cold weather/winter weather cruises may be more conducive to Covid spread as opposed to warm/hot weather cruises.  Any thoughts on this?

That has always been true for the flu.  When most/more people are gathered indoors due to the weather (winter during the heating season in the north, summer during the air conditioning season in the south) there are more cases of Covid too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I have a thought and I'd like some other's opinions on this.  Setting aside the issues of non-compliance with mask wearing and handwashing etc...  I understand that viruses tend to have increased spread during cold/winter weather.  DW & I took a Caribbean Cruise in January, and we won't be setting foot on another ship until February of next year to sail to the S. Pacific.  The Alaska cruise and New England and Canada cruise we took before Covid were both cold weather sailings where the upper outdoor decks were devoid of passengers due to the cold weather.  This caused more and more people to be indoors during the length of the cruise.  It just seems to me that it may also be that cold weather/winter weather cruises may be more conducive to Covid spread as opposed to warm/hot weather cruises.  Any thoughts on this?

I think that definitely plays a role, along with the fact that many are doing land tours prior to getting on the ship and Alaska has a pretty low vaccination rate. I, personally, don't see the value in testing only prior to boarding as we all know that you could test negative getting on and positive the next day. At this point, I'm willing to take the risk - I've taken 3 cruises this year and felt safe/comfortable on all. Masks were not required on any of them but my family (and MANY other passengers) chose to wear them while indoors. It didn't take away from my enjoyment and it made me feel "safer" (even if it was only psychological, I'll take it!) My family has been wearing masks indoors since Covid began so it really isn't that different. We are leaving for an Alaskan cruise on Royal on the 17th and I am a little nervous but, at this point, I just want to move on. I will do what I am comfortable with and can't control what anyone else chooses to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

From the new FAQ’s on Princess website today it looks like no more required masking on Vancouver/Whittier routes. I pity anyone sailing this coming Saturday from Whittier. Last week we were 2 of hundreds testing positive and sent to Covid hell

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is now a personal choice as to how much you comply. We are on the Royal leaving Whittier on the 10th and you are right, the negative PCR/Antigen test required to board that ship doesn't really do much. I've had COVID and didn't test positive until 2 days after I had symptoms and likely contracted the disease from a friend 3 days before that. With our acceptance of COVID being in our daily lives and to resume normal lives, we can't really scapegoat Princess or any other cruise line. They are legally doing business and following safety protocols. If you are afraid of COVID, don't put yourself in an MDR with hundreds of other guests or in a theatre with 1,000 people. Mask up, avoid people, sanitize, and ensure that you protect yourself as much as you can. Part of that choice can be choosing not to cruise until you feel it's safe to do so. AT this point in time, you can attend indoor live sporting events and concerts (without a mask), walk around in malls, watch movies, and eat, all mask-free and without a vaccination status. 

Why do we force Princess or any other cruise to behave differently?

• Like 6

We took Discovery Princess to Alaska from Seattle in July.  My wife, myself, and my son, are fully vaccinated, and we double tested negative.

On the trip, some individuals wore masks, most didn't.  Elevators were crowded.  So was the train in Skagway.  

There was little talk about Covid. 

After we flew home, we tested ourselves.  My wife and son were test positive.  I, who had Covid in May was test negative.

My son had a mild cough, no fever.  My wife had some myalgia and a low grade fever.

Placed both of them on Paxlovid.  

My son was symptom free in 24 hours.  My wife had some muscle ache and a low grade fever for several days.

Covid, like Influenza, and Norovirus is here to stay.  I would suggest if you cruise you take a course of both Tamiflu and Paxlovid is you can obtain it from your physician. 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, PrincessLuver said:

Because you are not in those venues for a week or weeks at a time and you have the option to leave at any time to lessen your exposure which is not true on a ship.

True, but what choices do cruise ships have? As cruisers, know that you are going to accept risks of being on a ship where the risk of exposure is high. You accept personal responsibility for knowing that. If you want to cruise yet avoid COVID, then do everything you did in 2020 and 2021 - mask up, wash your hands frequently and make sure you are fully vaxxed. And, avoid places and events where spread is very likely: enclosed spaces, theatres, and common spaces. If this means hanging out outside and enjoying your food up on Lido, getting room service, and not being able to take in shows etc, then by all means.

I don't blame Princess for following the rules. At some point, you have to make a choice to accept the risks and protect yourself. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, twprincessfirsties said:

True, but what choices do cruise ships have? As cruisers, know that you are going to accept risks of being on a ship where the risk of exposure is high. You accept personal responsibility for knowing that. If you want to cruise yet avoid COVID, then do everything you did in 2020 and 2021 - mask up, wash your hands frequently and make sure you are fully vaxxed. And, avoid places and events where spread is very likely: enclosed spaces, theatres, and common spaces. If this means hanging out outside and enjoying your food up on Lido, getting room service, and not being able to take in shows etc, then by all means.

I don't blame Princess for following the rules. At some point, you have to make a choice to accept the risks and protect yourself. 

My issue is that they punished a protocol and then did not enforce it. The promised help never came from Medical or Guest services because according to them there were too many of us “sick people” on board. That is probably why it took forever to get us off the ship

• Like 2

Actually the title should be, "Don't get Covid when you travel."

Bottom line is that Covid is out there.  So is influenza.  So is the common cold, so is Norovirus.

If you travel, you are at risk of becomming ill while away from home, sometimes, at a considerable distance from home. 

These are the facts of life.

If you feel better wearing a mask, certainly do it.  If you become ill before the cruise, don't go.  If you become ill during a cruise...self-isolate.  If you have the means to take Paxlovid and Tamiflu with you before a cruise, certainly that may be a good choice. 

Life is full of risk.  Just read about a woman who was killed by swimming by a Bull Shark, while in the Bahamas. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, The Mikado said:

That's not a very popular view on cruise critic.

It's not a view; it is reality that has a name - LIFE.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Actually the title should be, "Don't get Covid when you travel."

Bottom line is that Covid is out there.  So is influenza.  So is the common cold, so is Norovirus.

If you travel, you are at risk of becomming ill while away from home, sometimes, at a considerable distance from home. 

These are the facts of life.

If you feel better wearing a mask, certainly do it.  If you become ill before the cruise, don't go.  If you become ill during a cruise...self-isolate.  If you have the means to take Paxlovid and Tamiflu with you before a cruise, certainly that may be a good choice. 

Life is full of risk.  Just read about a woman who was killed by swimming by a Bull Shark, while in the Bahamas. 

But you do not get put in quarantine on a cruise ship if you have a cold or other common elements and do not suffer longterm health consequences for catching a cold.  Princess has enough data to know which protocols have protected their guests and which have not and they can do more instead of doing nothing.

Your comments are just points of view and not facts of life or proper medical advice or practices.

Cruises are still super spreader events in this day and age as a form of travel.

And from some of the tone of frequent posters on CC they seem to like it that way too.  Which makes cruising even more of a health risk.

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Cruises are still super spreader events in this day and age as a form of travel.

And from some of the tone of frequent posters on CC they seem to like it that way too.  Which makes cruising even more of a health risk.

Yes, which makes me wonder why so many people here insist on cruising who would seem by their pronouncements to be more comfortable at home rather than dictating to us who really can't wait to get back. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, The Mikado said:

Yes, which makes me wonder why so many people here insist on cruising who would seem by their pronouncements to be more comfortable at home rather than dictating to us who really can't wait to get back. 

Exactly how many cruises have you done since the Princess' restart with the pandemic?  Any at all??

Edited by Princessfan20

17 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Exactly how many cruises have you done since the Princess' restart with the pandemic?  Any at all??

I have done 24 days at sea. 2 /12 day B2B.....why??????

I happen to agree with Mikado, if you are as worried as you profess, please take care by not sailing yet.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Princessfan20 said:

I have not been on any cruise since the restart.  I am waiting until all the protocols are reliably gone.  I would hate to be on a ship and halfway through be told I had to wear a mask.  Until then I will just go on land vacations where none of the protocols are required and haven't been for a long time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, L454S said:

I have done 24 days at sea. 2 /12 day B2B.....why??????

I happen to agree with Mikado, if you are as worried as you profess, please take care by not sailing yet.

We have done 50 plus days this year.  I support Princess having Covid protocols on their ships and not a free for all like some would like.  As I indicated earlier our family including my wife and myself caught Covid on a Princess ship with very little Covid prevention.  It was not fun, ruined a potential fun family vacations, cost quite a bit of money because luggage was lost in transfer from isolation and other costs.  We are still dealing with Princess on some of their "Covid guarantees."  

It has nothing to do with fear but the reality that Princess could do more instead of putting passengers through substantial risks and interruptions to their lives.  It felt much safer at the beginning of the year on their ships.  Now it is definitely not OK being on one of their floating Petri dishes.   It is everywhere on their ships.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Keksie said:

I have not been on any cruise since the restart.  I am waiting until all the protocols are reliably gone.  I would hate to be on a ship and halfway through be told I had to wear a mask.  Until then I will just go on land vacations where none of the protocols are required and haven't been for a long time.

7 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Good choice, because you do not have to be worried about being put in quarantine on a cruise ship when you get Covid which is not the case with land vacations. 

3 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

Good choice, because you do not have to be worried about being put in quarantine on a cruise ship when you get Covid which is not the case with land vacations. 

That is another reason.  However, I am not sure how they would know you had covid while on the ship unless you told them.

• Like 1