Royal Caribbean did not deliver on expectations

sshubinski

17 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

But the port has some limited shops, one restaurant and the zip line. You must be easily entertained 

One restaurant and a zipline, huh?  I take it you haven't been there in a while.  

Ref being entertained, I happen to love Alaska in its raw form and ISP hasn't been totally ruined (yet) by the crowd who just wants to walk around the port shopping cheap crap.  I guess when they build a Senor Frogs in ISP, you'll be happy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

One restaurant and a zipline, huh?  I take it you haven't been there in a while.  

Ref being entertained, I happen to love Alaska in its raw form and ISP hasn't been totally ruined (yet) by the crowd who just wants to walk around the port shopping cheap crap.  I guess when they build a Senor Frogs in ISP, you'll be happy.

I was there 2 weeks ago. Took the tram up and Zip line down.  Wanted to eat lunch there, but the only restaurant served half a small crab for $75 and not many other choices.  I was game, but 2 in our group don't eat shellfish, so back to the ship.  

Never been to Frog's or Carlos and Charlies.  Were always go local, but it appears you know all the good places for the novice traveler - DI and Frog's.

What else is in the town we missed?  We had excursions set for other ports and were spending 3 extra days in Alaska on our own, so had most of what we wanted covered.  

The windjammer was full at 1:00 when we got back on the ship.  I guess we weren't the only ones to not find much there.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

We were in ISP before the makeover. And the locals were complaining about what was coming. I am glad to hear the port was not ruined. It is the only port where you can truly feel disconnected from civilization. At least you could while we were there. And I agree with others that the whale watching is fantastic there. We were followed around for hours by a momma and her calf. It was an amazing experience. It is also the only place I have ever been on a cruise ship and sat on the top deck watching whales breach all around us for hours on end. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We were in ISP before the makeover. And the locals were complaining about what was coming. I am glad to hear the port was not ruined. It is the only port where you can truly feel disconnected from civilization. At least you could while we were there. And I agree with others that the whale watching is fantastic there. We were followed around for hours by a momma and her calf. It was an amazing experience. It is also the only place I have ever been on a cruise ship and sat on the top deck watching whales breach all around us for hours on end. 

Agreed.  I think they did a good job with the makeover because it's outside of town and they did a great job keeping its rustic look.  Otherwise, ISP is unique because it's rare for such large ships to visit a town that is still holding on to its genuine small-town Alaska culture.  Anyone who doesn't go in to Hoonah is missing out on true Alaska.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Few, if any, people read their cruise contract but it clearly states that the cruise line has the right to make changes to the itinerary, and they could be for a varied number of reasons.  I would have been thrilled with your "meager" $100 OBC.  Things happen in life, don't be so entitled.

3 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

Few, if any, people read their cruise contract but it clearly states that the cruise line has the right to make changes to the itinerary, and they could be for a varied number of reasons.  I would have been thrilled with your "meager" $100 OBC.  Things happen in life, don't be so entitled.

Our upcoming cruise was cut from 5 days to only 4 days.  We were offered a $50 OBC per cabin only.  The OP got $100 OBC and still got the original number of days they originally paid for (albeit, not missing the port they really wanted).  Both situations suck, but I think the OP got a better offer than we got.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:25 PM, taglovestocruise said:

We are on Quantum in 30 days, Vancouver to Honolulu.  I think engine problems will still be a issue. Royal has been reaching out via email for the last few months warning of this very problem. All the cruise lines are having major problems right now, you may never cruise again... Bye Bye.

First, I am unaware that all major cruise lines are having substantial issues right now. and Second, wow!!  BYe Bye?  bit rude to the person dontcha think?  I completely understand that issues happen, beyond the lines responsibility, such as weather, port closures etc, as I am an ol navy guy myself, but to be honest if the line offered a full days reimbursement to one sailing and not the other, it would appear that is not fair and it should be the same for all.  I normally cruise Carnival, but have sailed RC in past and am booked again for February, but hoping to find more civil discourse on this line link to be honest 🙂

36 minutes ago, soapbxking said:

First, I am unaware that all major cruise lines are having substantial issues right now. and Second, wow!!  BYe Bye?  bit rude to the person dontcha think?  I completely understand that issues happen, beyond the lines responsibility, such as weather, port closures etc, as I am an ol navy guy myself, but to be honest if the line offered a full days reimbursement to one sailing and not the other, it would appear that is not fair and it should be the same for all.  I normally cruise Carnival, but have sailed RC in past and am booked again for February, but hoping to find more civil discourse on this line link to be honest 🙂

Supply chain issues, labor shortage issues, and high demand are straining all cruise lines.  

The OP, a new member, came here and posted one time with a rant.  This was not a question or call for help but a rant.  That sort of post is always going to get met with a lot of sarcasm and disdain.  Maybe the OP would have received some more friendly replies had the post was along the lines of "Something unfortunate happened on my cruise and I heard that other sailings were compensated more.  Is this normal and does anyhow have any ideas about how I might escalate this?"  

• Like 2

Travel can be filled with disappointment if you let it be.  We’ve had many ports of call canceled with no OBC, sometimes not even port fees refunded.  Medical emergencies, hurricanes, windy rough weather, once the excuse was someone took our spot at the pier.  Don’t ever river cruise because you definitely have to go with the flow on those.  

Can it be disappointing?  Sure.  Especially if this is a one time stop that you don’t plan on going back to.  But it’s best to move on, enjoy the day ahead anyway. Being upset only spoils your memories of what you did enjoy.  If you were warned ahead of time that the ship was having some trouble you can’t be upset when it does.  I’m hoping you still have wonderful memories of this cruise.

On 9/4/2022 at 9:05 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I LOVE Icy Strait Point.  Fabulous whale-watching.  Great Alaskan ambiance.

Also wonderful people.

I will admit the following is not a typical experience, but sometimes the best experiences are the unexpected.

We were at Icy Point Strait in July. After walking around the port, we decided to go back to the ship. Because my bum knee was painful at that point, we decided to take the golf cart that was available for the mobility impaired. 

The driver stopped to pick us up, but asked if he could stop at the restroom as nature was calling.  Of course, we said yes and told him we were in no rush.

As he came out of the rest room, he got a call on his walkie talkie about another local needing transportation. He looked at us and said "OK if I pick him up?" 

"Sure, no problem."

And then it started.  We ended up riding with him to various points in the area and talking to him and other locals who hopped in next to him about life in Hoonah (especially in the winter).  As we talked, his response was several times, "I will show you something" and off we went.

Over an hour later, he delivered us to the ship. Definitely an experience we will  treasure and not one that could be booked.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Like 3

On 9/4/2022 at 11:31 PM, coaster said:
  • HAL did not warn us that AC would not work in the cabin we booked. Not offered a refund if we cancelled. They knew about the issue before we boarded. Anyone taking a shower in our cabin just made the lack of AC more unbearable due to the steam factor. Slept at night with no shirt or bed covers to tolerate the heat.

The exact reason we stopped cruising with HAL.  We were given a fan! LOL

Shame because we did like the overall HAL experience.  But went to Royal in 2007 and never looked back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Our upcoming cruise was cut from 5 days to only 4 days.  We were offered a $50 OBC per cabin only.  The OP got $100 OBC and still got the original number of days they originally paid for (albeit, not missing the port they really wanted).  Both situations suck, but I think the OP got a better offer than we got.

We missed a port and didnt even get port fees refunded in march.

Rcl has it's own way of operating. ... but their prices are good. 

Welcome to CC...but this is a forum for all cruise lines...including HAL, your favorite. Though apparently you don't post over on the HAL section.  Wonder why?  🤔

As others posted...Bye..bye.  😉 

Edited by island lady

This thread reminds me of the punchline to an old joke: Waiter at a crowded restaurant checks in on one of his tables mid-meal, where the patrons there seem to be arguing or complaining and asks: Is ANYTHING alright?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 9/4/2022 at 7:19 PM, sshubinski said:

I have sailed 6 times previously on Holland America and had wonderful experiences every time. I was notified by RC that the itinerary for this cruise was going to have to change due to one engine not working and another needing maintenance. As a result, the ship could not travel as fast or as far and complete the itinerary. RC chose to remove what would have been the most interesting stops including Icy Point Strait and Dawes Glacier and offered us a meager $100 shipboard credit for the inconvenience. This was an insult to me and I attempted to contact RC numerous times prior to the cruise, once on their website, 3 times by phone and 2 more times by email. There was no response at any time. Once onboard the ship, I found out the cruise on the same ship that went out the week before us received a full day's sailing credit. At this point, I spoke to guest services on the ship and every one I spoke with said it was a corporate decision and there was nothing they could do. They did provide a number I could call onboard but I was on hold once for 2 hours and another time for 45 minutes and still never spoke to anyone. Finally, when I returned, I contacted the guest services department by email. They did respond the next day but basically said there was nothing else they could do for me. For a cruise line that likes to bill itself as "The Best Cruise Line Overall", The fell very short. I will NEVER cruise with Royal Caribbean again!

Just curious, why didn’t you stick with Holland America?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Still a great cruise - 5 night with Labadee and Coco Cay, but here's the where's Waldo question...Where's Labadee?

829 Mariner Route.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Agreed.  Their product is good, and we find good prices with them (if you look hard enough).  There are definitely things they could improve upon (as could all cruise lines) to be better, though.  We continue to book and travel with them as well.

Frustrating though that they cut 20% of your cruise off (1 out of 5 days) and they do not cut 20% of the price you booked at.  I had heard that if a port is missed, usually they put a few dollars OBC on your account (though it is usually very small)

On 9/4/2022 at 9:12 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Whale watching in Alaska is not the best. They are feeding. In Cabo they are breaching and much better experience. 

Huh.  Wow.  Great information.  Except they aren't talking about being in Cabo.  So, guess it really doesn't matter about the whales in Cabo.

22 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Agreed.  Their product is good, and we find good prices with them (if you look hard enough).  There are definitely things they could improve upon (as could all cruise lines) to be better, though.  We continue to book and travel with them as well.

Frustrating though that they cut 20% of your cruise off (1 out of 5 days) and they do not cut 20% of the price you booked at.  I had heard that if a port is missed, usually they put a few dollars OBC on your account (though it is usually very small)

Actually that's carnival not rcl. Carnival refunds port fees if you miss a port. I got 0 for missing a port last march and wrote to mbayley and his office said it was up to each ship how they handled overpayment of port fees. I kept the email. Yep .. no fleet wide policy. Each ship decides. One ship refunds but not the next. I think they should refund extra port fees. They went on to say if port fees go up they dont bill the extra, so they dont feel they have to refund port fees and taxes if they go down.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They went on to say if port fees go up they dont bill the extra, so they dont feel they have to refund port fees and taxes if they go down.

But the counter to that is that if port fees go down after booking, they still happily collect the original higher port fees and do not reduce them on final payment.  The house always wins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ Lomas said:

But the counter to that is that if port fees go down after booking, they still happily collect the original higher port fees and do not reduce them on final payment.  The house always wins.

Exactly ...my email to them was 2 part. I paid the higher port fees for grand Cayman and jamaica, but was switched to costa maya and Belize. About $20 less for those who booked later. ..and then we missed costa maya. And got 0 obc. Got switched twice this year jan and march when grand Cayman was closed.   Lol I've been costa maya to death so wasnt a big deal to miss, but imo they should refund if you miss a port. Carnival always gives obc for missed ports. I like rcl better right now but not some policies. 

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly ...my email to them was 2 part. I paid the higher port fees for grand Cayman and jamaica, but was switched to costa maya and Belize. About $20 less for those who booked later. ..and then we missed costa maya. And got 0 obc. Got switched twice this year jan and march when grand Cayman was closed.   Lol I've been costa maya to death so wasnt a big deal to miss, but imo they should refund if you miss a port. Carnival always gives obc for missed ports. I like rcl better right now but not some policies. 

Both of my last two cruises had small credits to my onboard account and they were described as decrease in port charge, once on Allure and once on Liberty.  No missed port, just apparently the charge was less than what it was anticipated to be.  Surprised me that they would even bother.   Last one was $8 and one in June was also under $10.   

4 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

Both of my last two cruises had small credits to my onboard account and they were described as decrease in port charge, once on Allure and once on Liberty.  No missed port, just apparently the charge was less than what it was anticipated to be.  Surprised me that they would even bother.   Last one was $8 and one in June was also under $10.   

Right. That's what I mean it's done sometimes and sometimes not. I'd like it to be all ships, not random. I've posted the email before. They say it's up to the ship if they want to do it.