Coastal Kitchen

tampadee

My limited experience is that dinner there ranges from excellent (night one filet mignon) to no better than the MDR (and I'm not an MDR fan).

The menu is exactly like the MDR; the 3 course sections change nightly and there are standby items as well.

As mentioned above, I'd consider it slightly better than the MDR but not a specialty restaurant. I did enjoy breakfast there, but mostly for the atmosphere.

Just now, Camillus112 said:

Hi all, RCL newbie with question...in Grand Suite or Junior suite, is CK an included venue with free drinks?

CK is only on certain ships and the free drinks are only included in the SL for GS and up and only during happy hour.

4 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

To jump in, is CK included in the UDP?

No, Coastal Kitchen is for Suite Guest and Pinnacles only.

We sail in grand suites on Oasis and Quantum class ships because of CK.  I prefer the Oasis class as the Suite Lounge share the space with CK and the wine with lunch and dinner is free, unlike the Quantum class ships where the two venues are separate.

We appear to be in a minority as we prefer CK over the Speciality Restaurants.  I am not saying that the speciality restaurants are not good it is more that we prefer our meals simple and enjoy the taste of food versus it being covered with fancy sauces. 

As has been said here and in numerous other post, food is very subjective and everyone has their own personal preferences, likes, and dislikes.

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

We really enjoy Coastal Kitchen.  We enjoy the atmosphere and views.  It is relaxing and beats the heck out of the crowds at other venues on the ship.  Our favorite dinner menus are on the filet, lobster and rack of lamb, and veal chop nights. We pop in for either breakfast or lunch most days, also.  Specialty dining is a step up in quality, but we just can't eat that much day in and day out.  If we cruised more often, perhaps we would get bored with the menus.    

CK is a much nicer space than most of the specialty restaurants.   Breakfast is great.  Dinner was always good for us.  The menu varies each night.  When we go sky class we eat in CK a lot.  We quite like it.  When in Star class we eat at the specialty restaurants, but always breakfast in CK.  

Drinks are provided during happy hour and beer and house wine are free from about 11-11 each day.  Bottles Water and soda is also included from 11-11.  

Only grand suite and higher have access.  Junior suites get in to CK for dinner only with the caveat that only if space provides for it.  And technically no free drinks at dinner if you are in a Junior suite.  Experiences used to vary on that from what I’ve read.  Not sure now.  

35 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

What a disappointment, we will be sailing the Serenade from Tampa and it seems not to have a Coastal Kitchen!  Anything particular for the suites?  Thanks for the help.

Not much.  They usually let you have breakfast in a specialty restaurant, but it is basically the same elsewhere.  Just you get to each in that space and the waiters take care of you a little more.  Nothing special IMO.  The Suite lounge will have happy hour drinks (a few hours), but if you have the drink package it’s pointless and it if you drink regularly outside of happy hour you’ll probably want the package.  If you are just a happy hour drinker you might find happy hour a nice perk.  

38 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

What a disappointment, we will be sailing the Serenade from Tampa and it seems not to have a Coastal Kitchen!  Anything particular for the suites?  Thanks for the help.

If grand suite or higher , free drinks during happy hour normally 5 to 8 in suite lounge or concierge, breakfast in specialty restaurant, concierge can help with anything, priority disembark with concierge walking you off . 

8 hours ago, tampadee said:

First time in a full suite on Allure.  Does the Coastal Kitchen have a changing menu for dinner?  How does Coastal Kitchen compare to specialty restaurants (dinner)? 

We were on the Quantum of the Seas recently in a Suite. The service and food quality in CK was miserable. Truly horrible. There were nights that we walked out the back door of CK into the Windjammer to get better food. And this wasn't one night. It was almost every night. So disappointing. One night, I sent a steak back, twice, since they were ice cold in the center. I told the restaurant manager that being able to tell the temperature of a steak by touch was culinary school 101. 

Edited by BirdTravels