Patches for motion sickness

Cruisin 4 Ever

I always buy Transderm V Scopolamine patches whenever we go on cruises in case of motion sickness. I never need it but my husband often does and we're bringing friends who have never cruised. 

I just found out they've discontinued making these patches. 

Has anyone who has used these found anything else as effective?

You should probably ask your GP.

I only rarely take 1/2 Meclizine just prior to sailing.  I don't like the side effects of any of the seasick meds (even Meclizine makes me drowsy and I don't like to combine that with alcohol).

I start taking Ginger Root capsules 1-2 days prior to sailing and take them every a.m. and p.m. during the cruise.  Take with lots of water.

Google seasick remedies for plenty more options.

You could ask your doctor for a prescription for an antiemetic - that's the class of drugs that stop vomiting.

I get really really motion sick, and take meclizine (Bonine) every night at bedtime. Since I've been on a cruise thru a hurricane AND a cruise thru a blizzard, I also take regular dramamine if the bonine isn't doing enough. 

• Thanks 1

I believe that the discontinued Scopolamine is the brand name patch, I know here in the States we have generic brands.

Unfortunately, here in the states we need to get a prescription

Edited by ngrund
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

I always buy Transderm V Scopolamine patches whenever we go on cruises in case of motion sickness. I never need it but my husband often does and we're bringing friends who have never cruised. 

No, but being allergic to the patches, I have been forced to use meclizine  I get the Rugby type "behind the counter" at most pharmacies for about a tenth of the price of the name brand

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Any reason why it's been discontinued ? DW will not be pleased .

1 hour ago, richstowe said:

Any reason why it's been discontinued ? DW will not be pleased .

The manufacturer said it was discontinued for business reasons.   The drug also had many side effects, some of which were quite a problem.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

I stopped using the patch after the first try due to terrible side effects.  Have had excellent results with Meclizine  (I take 1 every night at bedtime) for all my cruises since. No nausea,  no drowsiness, and I can still drink alcohol. Only problem is that it isn't available in Canada. I buy enough for several cruises whenever we go to the States. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, richstowe said:

I found an interesting analysis between various nausea treatments entitled

The Pharmacologic Management of Motion Sickness from U.S. Pharmacist

What they have to say about ginger is frightening .

https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/the-pharmacologic-management-of-motion-sickness

I wonder if that extends to simply drinking a ginger beer.  Unless you experience constant motion sickness it will work.  One thing I learned about nausea of any kind is letting a teaspoon of sugar dissolve slowly on your tongue reduces the wretching impulse. (I once had very bad food poisoning and the sugar trick finally set me on a way to holding my food)

Edited by Mary229

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

wonder if that extends to simply drinking a ginger beer.  

My mom was a big fan of ginger ale for all sorts of nausea and tummy issues . 

If you believe something works , it works . Elastic nausea bands anyone . 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richstowe said:

Your given article says it does relieve nausea.  It then goes on to say it has side effects.  I have to assume those are brought on by constant or overuse.  Sugar on the tongue as I described was prescribed by a medical office 

• Like 1

I used those patches on our first 2 cruises, but the side effects were awful.  I started taking meclizine/Bonine.  I would take it each evening as I got ready for dinner since they speed the ship up then to make good time.  I've never had issues with that.  But our last 3 cruises, I didn't take anything, but I did take them with me in case.  I know one cruise, we hit rough enough seas that stewards were putting out barf bags (never a good thing to see), so I hopped my happy butt back to the cabin and took another one!  I could feel the movement but never got sick.

One thing I will say is that hydration is very important!  Alcohol is the opposite of that.  I learned this because altitude sickness is very similar for me but if I can hydrate properly before getting to certain altitudes (obviously, flying doesn't count - at least not for me), the sickness isn't as bad.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, richstowe said:

It's interesting that hospitals usually offer ginger ale to patients (and crackers).

I find that Coca Cola settles my stomach... and when I was little, and our doctor made house calls, he'd have a bottle of nasty, thick brown syrup if children were throwing up, and we'd be given something like a teaspoon of it.  It turned out that syrup was similar (or identical to?) Coca Cola syrup, but without sugar.  Blech.  But it did seem to work.

GC

• Like 1

These are available at CVS.  Our Doc usually orders in quantity of 1-30.  This past April, we got a full 30, and then 1 piece on the 2nd prescription.  They had the balance (another 19) for us in two days.  Interestingly enough, the co-pay cost was the same for 1 patch as 20.  The original manufacturer discontinued.  This is a generic and widely available.  

SCOPOLAMINE 1 MG/3 DAY PATCH PATCH 3 DAY

image.thumb.jpeg.18ac9bea452dbef9fe143a69458f712a.jpeg

• Thanks 2

On 9/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, GeezerCouple said:

It's interesting that hospitals usually offer ginger ale to patients (and crackers).

I find that Coca Cola settles my stomach... and when I was little, and our doctor made house calls, he'd have a bottle of nasty, thick brown syrup if children were throwing up, and we'd be given something like a teaspoon of it.  It turned out that syrup was similar (or identical to?) Coca Cola syrup, but without sugar.  Blech.  But it did seem to work.

GC

I agree with the Coca Cola recommendation for an upset stomach. My husband and I call it Cocacure 😀

On 9/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, vetteman06 said:

These are available at CVS.  Our Doc usually orders in quantity of 1-30.  This past April, we got a full 30, and then 1 piece on the 2nd prescription.  They had the balance (another 19) for us in two days.  Interestingly enough, the co-pay cost was the same for 1 patch as 20.  The original manufacturer discontinued.  This is a generic and widely available.  

SCOPOLAMINE 1 MG/3 DAY PATCH PATCH 3 DAY

image.thumb.jpeg.18ac9bea452dbef9fe143a69458f712a.jpeg

Is this by prescription only?