Main Dining Room Menus

JamieLogical

On 9/16/2022 at 7:28 AM, JamieLogical said:

I was using Rebound Patches, which no longer seem to be available. Used up the last of ours on our Alaska sailing. I am going to have to research alternatives. I also recommend Liquid IV for recovery. They are packets of powder you mix into a bottle of water.

Edit: Just checked Amazon and it looks like Rebound Patches are back!

I also see you can order from Walmart …

I can see why some people may not like having the same menu every night on a longer cruise, but it does not seem that bad for a 7 nights or less cruise.

On our recent 7 night cruise, we only ended up in the MDR two nights. We had dinners at Cagney's, La Cucina, and two nights in the buffet. One day we had a late breakfast, which led to having a late lunch in O'Sheehan's, and we did not eat again until late night snack time.

A good thing about the non-rotating MDR menu is that you do not have to worry that you are missing favorite items on the days you choose specialty dining or the buffet. I also like that there are additional sides you can order. I have always said to my husband that I would like more vegetables with my main course. I'm not that impressed with the same dessert choices every night, but you can always head up to the buffet for different options or a crepe. A bad thing for my husband is that I did not see a lamb choice.

We shall see what happens If people don't like it. Maybe they will go back to the rotating menus. Or, just have the same menu on certain ships.

On 9/15/2022 at 2:57 PM, cruiseny4life said:

If they do implement it, NCL stated it would be done so after Jan. 1, 2023...then again, NCL announced the Prima would be the first ship to have Coca-Cola onboard, which was a lie....I'm hoping for you that it's after 10/30! 

Sorry not a lie ….

Prima had Coca-Cola products on board the 3 Sep sailing and crew mentioned the Coke Polar Bear was on board the inaugural to celebrate the switch.

I’m a Pepsi person, so disappointed on the changes.

Frequently the Coke was flat

On 9/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, JamieLogical said:

There looks to be some decent stuff on the menu in the video, but certainly not enough to keep me happy for more than 2-3 nights. At least I am Platinum and end up with 4 specialty dinners on a 7-day sailing, but anything more than 7 days and that menu would get old fast! Meanwhile, Celebrity has four different dining rooms all serving different food on their newest ships....

@JamieLogical How do you get 4 specialty meals just based on Platinum status?

As we recently experienced aboard Prima, the 2 Platinum reward specialty meals are per cabin, not per member. So unless we book 2 cabins we only get to eat 2 meals in the specialty restaurants with the latitudes reward. 

If I’m mismanaging my rewards usage, I’d like to course correct sooner rather than later !

Since the change to the FAS earlier this year,  a 7 day cruise only includes 1 FAS specialty dinner unless you book above a balcony.

Edited by ColdCruise

12 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I can see why some people may not like having the same menu every night on a longer cruise, but it does not seem that bad for a 7 nights or less cruise.

On our recent 7 night cruise, we only ended up in the MDR two nights. We had dinners at Cagney's, La Cucina, and two nights in the buffet. One day we had a late breakfast, which led to having a late lunch in O'Sheehan's, and we did not eat again until late night snack time.

A good thing about the non-rotating MDR menu is that you do not have to worry that you are missing favorite items on the days you choose specialty dining or the buffet. I also like that there are additional sides you can order. I have always said to my husband that I would like more vegetables with my main course. I'm not that impressed with the same dessert choices every night, but you can always head up to the buffet for different options or a crepe. A bad thing for my husband is that I did not see a lamb choice.

We shall see what happens If people don't like it. Maybe they will go back to the rotating menus. Or, just have the same menu on certain ships.

My guess is that you are representative of the way most people dine on NCL cruises. I don't think there are many people who would only dine in the MDR's. 

Personally I find the fixed menus being rolled out on Prima to be just fine. There are so many other options available in addition (both included like Indulge Food Hall...and new specialties...)that most people will have a somewhat limited number of times they eat in the MDR...and when they do the limited menus still offer up a good selection. Who knows maybe by having these fixed menus they might even be able to speed up the time it takes to eat in one of the MDR's which often seems like a marathon 😉 

Edited by Red-Sol
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, ColdCruise said:

@JamieLogical How do you get 4 specialty meals just based on Platinum status?

As we recently experienced aboard Prima, the 2 Platinum reward specialty meals are per cabin, not per member. So unless we book 2 cabins we only get to eat 2 meals in the specialty restaurants with the latitudes reward. 

If I’m mismanaging my rewards usage, I’d like to course correct sooner rather than later !

Since the change to the FAS earlier this year,  a 7 day cruise only includes 1 FAS specialty dinner unless you book above a balcony.

I get 2 from Free at Sea and 2 from Platinum for a total of 4. Sorry for the confusion.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I get 2 from Free at Sea and 2 from Platinum for a total of 4. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks that makes sense. 

Before 2022, the FAS number of “vouchers” depended on length if cruise, now it depends on cruise length AND cabin type. Our older bookings still honor the earlier program so have therefore gone up slightly in value 😉

16 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

Agood thing about the non-rotating MDR menu is that you do not have to worry that you are missing favorite items on the days you choose specialty dining or the buffet. I also like that there are additional sides you can order. I have always said to my husband that I would like more vegetables with my main course. I'm not that impressed with the same dessert choices every night, but you can always head up to the buffet for different options or a crepe. A bad thing for my husband is that I did not see a lamb choice.

Excellent points!!  Wish I'd remembered to include these in my post above! ☺️☺️

We always like to have 1st and usually 4th nights in a specialty, and we always comment how we're sorry to have missed some good MDR menu choices on those nights!

And, agree very much about the sides! 👍👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

Sorry not a lie ….

Prima had Coca-Cola products on board the 3 Sep sailing and crew mentioned the Coke Polar Bear was on board the inaugural to celebrate the switch.

I’m a Pepsi person, so disappointed on the changes.

Frequently the Coke was flat

I guess I wasn't specific enough...NCL claimed the Prima would be the first ship in the fleet to have Coca-Cola...that was the lie. Other ships, including the Getaway had it first.

Sorry about your disappointment. I'm very happy for the change! 

On 9/15/2022 at 2:34 PM, ggTexasGal said:

Nice to see you back @JamieLogical!

The Prima seems to be the only ship currently with the "same" menu in the MDR, but it seems that they are otherwise heading that direction.

That sounds like  RCCL on the Anthem of the Sea when it started. Four MRDs with the same menu. They went back to the rotating menu system after a year or 2.

BTW Jamie see you in October.😀

Of course it doesn't matter to Platinums or Haven folks or those who buy extra specialty dining.  But for (I'd guess) the majority of us who get one SD on a 5 day or 2 on a 7 day, that's a lot more MDR and in my opinion the choices are far less than what is on the other ships.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TominNC said:

Of course it doesn't matter to Platinums or Haven folks or those who buy extra specialty dining.  But for (I'd guess) the majority of us who get one SD on a 5 day or 2 on a 7 day, that's a lot more MDR and in my opinion the choices are far less than what is on the other ships.

Buffet (I know the quality isn't great, but it's there), O'Sheehan's/Local, Noodles (Shanghai, etc.), MDR

Most people go on a five to seven night cruise. I just listed four choices, including the MDR. So, then you repeat three for a seven night cruise. The buffet has a different specialty every night so you can try that a couple nights, the MDR a couple nights = plenty of choice.

Plus, everyone (right now) has at least one specialty dining. I think you have enough choices.

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Buffet (I know the quality isn't great, but it's there), O'Sheehan's/Local, Noodles (Shanghai, etc.), MDR

Most people go on a five to seven night cruise. I just listed four choices, including the MDR. So, then you repeat three for a seven night cruise. The buffet has a different specialty every night so you can try that a couple nights, the MDR a couple nights = plenty of choice.

Plus, everyone (right now) has at least one specialty dining. I think you have enough choices.

Not everyone has specialty dining.  

It used to be that when cruising you were able to have a nice, good quality, sit down meal served to you every night.  I'd like to think that is still the case.  I really don't consider the buffet or O'Sheehan's/Local to be good quality, sit down meals.  I've not tried Noodles or equivalents.  

With this new model, if I want a nice sit down meal and I don't want monotony, I have to cough up additional money for a specialty restaurant or the upcharge special of the day in the MDR (I really hope those rotate).  It'll work out, I'll still enjoy my cruise but I don't like it becuase at the end of the day it's really just one more way for NCL to increase that onboard spend while also saving by not having to support such a large and varied menu.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

It used to be that when cruising you were able to have a nice, good quality, sit down meal served to you every night.  I'd like to think that is still the case.  I really don't consider the buffet or O'Sheehan's/Local to be good quality, sit down meals.  I've not tried Noodles or equivalents.  

With this new model, if I want a nice sit down meal and I don't want monotony, I have to cough up additional money for a specialty restaurant or the upcharge special of the day in the MDR (I really hope those rotate).  It'll work out, I'll still enjoy my cruise but I don't like it becuase at the end of the day it's really just one more way for NCL to increase that onboard spend while also saving by not having to support such a large and varied menu.

Oh crumb muffins! I forgot about Sail Away Rates! I was thinking of the Free at Sea which is why I phrased it with the "right now" language. I'm sure the Free at Sea all offers for everyone will go away when (if?) bookings pick up. So yep, you're right to call me out on that one!

I don't think of the buffet or O'Sheehan's/Local as "good quality, sit down meals" either. Noodles is good quality, at least to me.

I do agree with NCL trying to increase the onboard spend. There are options if you don't want to, but yes, they are more casual than the MDR dining experience. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Typical, shuffle people off to the buffet.  It's not the same as a sit down meal.  Sheehan's also not nearly the same.  How many of those with the extra SD say, nah I thinking I'll have a burger at Sheehan's instead?

The unfortunate fact is that COVID has put cruise lines billions in debt.  Business as usual is probably going to be too little to late to address that, so they need to make changes, most of which are not going to be adding value for passengers.  

People who are unhappy with this change are free to switch to another line that still has rotating MDR menus, but I'm sure that they will soon learn what those lines are doing to reduce costs and may be just as unhappy about that...

23 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I don't see he "monotony", it's a large menu with what looks like quality options. The current rotating menu has four or five options that never change and the daily changed offerings. In my experience a lot of those rotating offerings are not that great. I guess we'll see if the quality is better on the fixed menu. That said I would like it if they offered more variety of appetizers on the new menu.

At first, I did not think I would like the idea of the same menu every night, but after seeing the menu, I do like it better.   For us, there are good options (dessert could be better).   In the past, I always had to research what nights we wanted to eat in the MDR based on the menu.   

When we stayed in the Haven this past February, we ate there four times, and I got the same meal three times.  

Appetizers could be more extensive.  One the roataing menu I can pick a different appetizer each of the five nights.  Also I like a few of the soups on the rotating menu.

If I go five nights on a 7 day cruise there are 25 different menu options, plus the few that are atandard.

On the fixed menu, unless I want to "switch it up" and go penne over fettucine pasta, that whole section is a lot of the same and the meat options aren't extensive enough.

• Like 1

I have looked over the menus and I think we will only eat in the dining room once. I am not a big fan of pasta and I don’t eat red meat often. There is  one chicken dish and I wish there was at least one more. The seafood options look good but my husband is not a fan. He would probably be happy with the vegetarian options but he would probably prefer wings at the local. I am guessing we will spend more time at the food hall or the local. We sail Prima in Feb. the next cruise after Prima we will probably do free at sea plus that will give us 4 specialties and 2 platinum dinners

1 hour ago, nferr said:

I don't see he "monotony", it's a large menu with what looks like quality options. The current rotating menu has four or five options that never change and the daily changed offerings. In my experience a lot of those rotating offerings are not that great. I guess we'll see if the quality is better on the fixed menu. That said I would like it if they offered more variety of appetizers on the new menu.

I agree.  I was initially skeptical about this idea but the menu posted looks really good.  With most options that interest me than I normally find on the regular rotating menus.

On 9/19/2022 at 12:29 PM, PATRLR said:

@PATRLR The dinner options at the free Indulge Food Hall we’re varied and excellent. As long as you sit at the tables (inside or out) you get served by awaited/waitress. I’m kind of a picky eater and if we didn’t have as many specialties I would have probably eaten there more than MDR.

I posted a lot of menus in