Tips

jeanneful

9 minutes ago, Travel R said:

Yes - A passenger can go to guest services and get the amount voided and returned to their card.

However, the tips go to a large number of staff members, so when a passenger stops the pre-paid tips, it affects many (those the passenger interacts with and those working out of sight). If the passenger did not enjoy the service of a select few individuals, let RCI know on your feedback form (or better yet, go to a manager while on the cruise so that they can remedy the situation).  Note that discretion also needs to be made in determining whether it was the individual or due to other reasons such as staff shortage or supply chain issues, which should not be taken out on the servers/stewards.

If the passenger has an issue with the service overall, then once again let them know on the ship and on their survey, then talk bigger volumes with your wallet and cruise elsewhere. But once again - don't take it out on the staff if you have issues with the line itself - the staff (IMHO) works very hard.

Although many may not think about it, but the staff works for a total salary that includes their base, but what they make on tips.  Yes, in a sense, we are paying part of the salary of the staff, since it is cheaper for the cruise lines to pay them and when tips are pre-paid they are technically a service fee (or a bribe), but the way I think about (others are free to think otherwise) it is that it is just part of the cruise fare and NOT a tip. [As someone suggested above, they should go ahead and just make it part of the fare - but it is a marketing ploy. Adding it to the fare upfront would make the fare look higher, which is not good when cruisers are comparing it to other cruise lines.]

I will "tip" staff at the end of a cruise for going above and beyond (although at a bar, will tip after receiving drinks), but that is at my own discretion. [There are times I have been very, very generous, and times I have not given anything at the end, such as one cruise where myself or family never saw the steward, who did not do a very good job cleaning the cabin (but did not remove the pre-paid $). I will also make a point of calling out the names of the staff members on my review to ensure that they are provided the appropriate accolades. [Also, when the maitre de comes by your table, make a point to tell them how good your wait staff is.]

To put the above in context - I am American (and used to the tipping culture), and I have had the need to work for tips myself, so I know what it is like from their end (and I did not have to work for six months away from my family and live in a cramped room with three other people).

And that's all I got to say about that.

You can "Think" it's part of the cruise far all you want. It is not. You can go to guest services and take it away if you wish, at will. You CANNOT go to guest services and take your cruise far away if you want. See the very very basis difference? It's currently on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line an individual's choice. Regardless of who likes it or who does not. 

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

You can "Think" it's part of the cruise far all you want. It is not. You can go to guest services and take it away if you wish, at will. You CANNOT go to guest services and take your cruise far away if you want. See the very very basis difference? It's currently on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line an individual's choice. Regardless of who likes it or who does not. 

Well said!  and we totally agree.

• Like 1

So if the cruise line adds the tips to the cruise charge and not an added fee then what.  now your paying a few hundred more for your cruise.  So what’s the difference.  
One  person doesn’t give you good service you going to ask for all your money back for the cruise?    

You gonna do a charge back because one person didn’t bring you extra bread or you didn’t get 4 towels.    

• Like 2

As someone else said, if you want to point out poor service by an individual, the post cruise comments are the most effective way to do so.  Those comments are taken seriously and are taken into consideration for things like promotions, shore leave, reupping of work contracts, etc.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

As I stated: 

others are free to think otherwise

Hard to believe that people on cruise critic may have differences of opinions.

Regardless of what is written by me or anyone else on these boards, people are going to do what they want anyway, nor will they sway others to their "side."

Have a nice day and may the force be with you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

So if the cruise line adds the tips to the cruise charge and not an added fee then what.  now your paying a few hundred more for your cruise.  So what’s the difference.  
One  person doesn’t give you good service you going to ask for all your money back for the cruise?    

You gonna do a charge back because one person didn’t bring you extra bread or you didn’t get 4 towels.    

If they add the tip as part of the fee and people have zero control over tips to get good service, many would look elsewhere. And that's why they don't.

As far as asking for money back for bad service etc. I have and I will. You never complained in restaurant over something and got money taken off the bill as there way of fixing the situation after the fact? Most folks do. As I've said before I treat service workers (and establishments that serve food) the same on a cruise as I do on land. No better, no worse.

19 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:
As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis.

Consider how many people are sharing that $16 or $18.50 tip: 

- Housekeeping staff 

- Kitchen staff and buffet servers in the Windjammer 

- Main Dining wait staff

We definitely feel we've received $16/person in services each day.  

10 hours ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

... The more you try and tell people to do something, or go on about why they should, because of what you believe, the more they will do the opposite, just for the hell of it ...

Eh, I can be swayed by facts.  I think most reasonable people can.  

3 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

So you would want to penalize all the good hard working people that work on the ship for one bad persons service.      
don’t be that guy.   

Agree.  Say your waiter is surly at dinner -- if you remove your tip for the day, you're also affecting your cabin steward, who has nothing to do with that one waiter.  If your goal is to improve service overall /reward those who work hard /punish those who slack off (assuming you think it's your place to do that), the best option is to mention BY NAME people who did well /did poorly on the post-cruise survey.  

Since I literally just completed that survey last week, I know you have the option to mention people by name.  Our MDR staff and our cabin steward were really great, so I made a point to mention them by name AND to say some specific things they'd done for us.  A nicer person would've noted some of the Windjammer staff's names.  

2 hours ago, RandomUser123 said:

My take on tips for cruises is simple. Whatever the cruise line charges for tips is what I pay. I will not go to guest services and have them lower the amount but I will also not tip more. 

I agree:  it's simple, and I do the same thing.  The cruise line has decided X is a fair amount, and the crew signed on for the job knowing X is the amount they'll receive.  So I pay X.  Why complicate things?  

• Like 3

Just add the amount to the basic cost of the cruise job done. Dont call it a tip or gratuity as that implies an extra ammount for a service. If people want to recognise good service then great tip more. A good web search will show you countires that expect to tip and those that dont. So it is cultural and should not be forced on others. Do what what you want tip or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

The difference is everyone pays, cheeps get dinged just the rest of us.

19 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

I believe non tippers are the ultimate low life.  

Question for you,

I got a rock chip on my windshield on my car fixed last week. I have a yearly paid subscription for the service so was free. When I went to sign his tablet there was a tip option of 5$. I didn't accept it. Am I a low life?

I then went over to a drive through and bought a coffee. Didn't tip. Am I going to hell?

I then had to stop and get milk from my grocery store. I didn't go in the back and give the stock person 5$. Do I deserve to live?

Can you also please tell me how I am supposed to decide who works hard and who doesn't? I see so many people every day working so hard and I just don't know how much of money I should give them. Or can you send me a list of your criteria since you are the expert. I would really appreciate that. I want future generations to sing my praise and erect statues of me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

Question for you,

I got a rock chip on my windshield on my car fixed last week. I have a yearly paid subscription for the service so was free. When I went to sign his tablet there was a tip option of 5$. I didn't accept it. Am I a low life?

I then went over to a drive through and bought a coffee. Didn't tip. Am I going to hell?

I then had to stop and get milk from my grocery store. I didn't go in the back and give the stock person 5$. Do I deserve to live?

Can you also please tell me how I am supposed to decide who works hard and who doesn't? I see so many people every day working so hard and I just don't know how much of money I should give them. Or can you send me a list of your criteria since you are the expert. I would really appreciate that. I want future generations to sing my praise and erect statues of me.

You don’t tip on how hard someone works, usually the hardest worker is on the low end of the pay scale. You tip on performance, if it exceeds you expectations, anything else is a pity tip. The cruise lines say that their excellent service is worth $16 p.p. per day, or whatever the number is. Because of their workload, they are lucky to do that. 
Many years ago, when I was considering if I wanted to further my education, my dad told me you can make a living by using your mind, or like me, your back. I chose the first and found out he was so right.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Not discretionary if you believe hard work should be rewarded

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You don’t tip on how hard someone works

Oh dear, I'm confused. What i'm starting to understand is that tipping is personal preference to each person.

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You tip on performance

That is good to know. I'll make sure to bring some extra 5's on our next cruise. Watching the captain expertly bring the ship in and of port is a thing of beauty. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Not necessarily true, they have two fares, Always Included which includes tips, classic drink package and internet, at a much higher price. The other one is Cruise Only which is what it says it is, no extra.

When did Royal come out with an always included? For that matter, when did they come out with a classic drink package?

1 hour ago, Mikamarii said:

Question for you,

None of those you mentioned work and depend on tips. If you short the crew then YES you are low life. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

None of those you mentioned work and depend on tips. If you short the crew then YES you are low life. 

But if there is a tip option then they must depend on tips. Why else would it be there? How do you know what they depend on. Do we think that Cruise Ship crew only rely on tips because The cruise company tells us we have to pay it?  Why do you get to decide who depends on what? I thought you said it was to recognize hard work? All so confusing. I'm glad we have experts to tell us what to do and judge us accordingly.

Edited by Mikamarii
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mikamarii said:

But if there is a tip option then they must depend on tips. Why else would it be there? How do you know what they depend on. Do we think that Cruise Ship crew only rely on tips because The cruise company tells us we have to pay it?  Why do you get to decide who depends on what? I thought you said it was to recognize hard work? All so confusing. I'm glad we have experts to tell us what to do and judge us accordingly.

Just because there is a tip option does not mean that the job's wage structure is designed in a way that tips are an expected part of their compensation.

Certain jobs, like restaurant servers, are specifically paid (much) less than normal minimum wage because tips are expected to make up the difference. Some times many, many times the difference. There is a societal expected amount, and you tip more for exceptional and less for poor service. If service is poor enough that you are inclined to stiff them, you really should talk to management.

There are plenty of jobs where one could argue that the person preforming the service is paid enough on base charge, but again societal expectations peer pressure people into a somewhat standard rate. This rate is less than that of jobs where tips subsidize their wages. Things like barbers, stylists, etc.

Then there jobs where the tip is truly a bonus for exceptional service.

Are the auto-gratuity-options on modern POS systems always appropriate for the place of business? No.

Remember these 2 rules:

1. Never piss off anyone that handles your food
  2. Always make your bartender happy

I just saw a recent story where someone was upset at a restaurant when no one would come to her table. Finally the manager came over and said that no server wanted to serve her since she never tips anything.

11 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No one on the ship depends on tips. 

They are guaranteed a living wage regardless of gratuity 

Not "depending" on tips and earning a "living wage" may be true, but is a false equivalency. The wages that the jobs that the tips go to are based on tips making up a portion of their total compensation. If gratuities were built into the base cruise fare, their wages would be adjusted accordingly. Maybe it's true that if everyone removed their tips, they would still make a "living wage", but that's not what they signed up for. 

People can argue all they want about whether tipping should be built in or not, or whether the entire concept of tipping or tip based jobs are morally just, but the fact is, when we take a cruise on Royal Caribbean, we are expected to pay gratuities to certain people, either automatically or "manually". To not pay any gratuities at all is not going to convince Royal Caribbean to change their compensation model, it only hurts the hard working staff. If you want it to change, take it up with the corporate office.

I would love to have gratuities built in, but honestly, to me it's an expected cost, and I have no problem paying it. I have not ever felt it necessary to tip extra, and I don't pre-pay. I have the daily charges on my room and pay at the end. I'm just glad we don't have to shove cash in envelopes on the last night anymore.

• Like 1