Celebrity cancels Bermuda stops due to excessive testing

BermudaBound2014

Sorry if this information is no longer relevant. I did read a few of the threads linked above, but  thought some might find it beneficial to see a nice concise list of all the Celebrity sailings effected in one place rather than hunt and peck through multiple threads.  😉 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6

32 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sorry if this information is no longer relevant. I did read a few of the threads linked above, but  thought some might find it beneficial to see a nice concise list of all the Celebrity sailings effected in one place rather than hunt and peck through multiple threads.  😉 

Thank you for the update!  Ignore the miserable people.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, FrankZ2010 said:

Some of us don't keep up with the latest news, and we appreciate updates. However, there are always those snarky posters who always have to chime in .

Thanks for the update.

Get a grip, even the OP saw the humor in it!

3 minutes ago, stellarose said:

just opening summit goes to Bermuda next summer. 🙂

Different perspectives abound here.  I wish the Summit was not going to stop in Bermuda in Oct 2022.  It is costing us $80 US (and some paperwork) for a few hours and we will not even be getting off the ship.  We cannot board the Summit until we pay the $80.  I hope the requirement will be dropped and you have a good time in Bermuda.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Different perspectives abound here.  I wish the Summit was not going to stop in Bermuda in Oct 2022.  It is costing us $80 US (and some paperwork) for a few hours and we will not even be getting off the ship.  We cannot board the Summit until we pay the $80.  I hope the requirement will be dropped and you have a good time in Bermuda.

agreed- they need to drop that requirement.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

Same here.  Won’t be spending another dime there.  I hope the Bermuda government puts my “contribution” to good use

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FrankZ2010 said:

Some of us don't keep up with the latest news, and we appreciate updates. However, there are always those snarky posters who always have to chime in .

Thanks for the update.

Yes, the post police are everywhere. Live and let live, if you see a post on a subject that's been posted before, move on and you'll find the world hasn't ended because you failed to be a snark. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My response to this cash grab by Bermuda is to not go ashore and spend any more money there.  It is absolutely ridiculous that we have to pay $40 and jump through all those hoops for a 6 hour port call.  Celebrity needs to cancel Bermuda port calls to send a message to Bermuda.

Totally agree.  I am on the EDGE TA from Rome in late Oct and they dropped Bermuda as the last port before FLL.  Now we stop in Ponta Delgada for longer than the port time would have been in Bermuda (where I'd not of gotten off the ship) so will now be happy to spend my $ in Ponta Delgada.

• Like 2

I am on the Summit Oct. 15th cruise and agree the port should be dropped. Especially since we are only scheduled to be docked for six hours which limits your ability to do much of anything!  Taking the ferry to St. George or Hamilton is impractical; visiting a beach doesn't leave much time to enjoy.  Your other choices are an abbreviated ship's tour or a walk around Docklands. Considering the added expense for the BTA plus the hassle of applying, it hardly seems worth it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

A similar announcement with a link to “the points guy” was posted and removed, presumably because it was redundant, or perhaps it violated some rule, but it is gone and the same might happen here

I think linking to that site is problematic according to the guidelines. The info has been posted on CC and I have put the complete list of cancelations in a thread on the Bermuda board. 

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

My response to this cash grab by Bermuda is to not go ashore and spend any more money there.  It is absolutely ridiculous that we have to pay $40 and jump through all those hoops for a 6 hour port call.  Celebrity needs to cancel Bermuda port calls to send a message to Bermuda.

Celebrity is not canceling your stop because it is not a problem to them. They don't have to test onboard.  On the other stops because they were transatlantic their medical dept would have had to test all the passengers. As I posted before Celebrity and NCL won't cancel Bermuda because they need Bermuda for cruises out of the northeast. Royal Caribbean has a lot invested in Bayonne. They also have a contract to stop in Bermuda. As far as not spending money there you are not hurting the people who made the decision. You are hurting the ordinary people who work in the toursim industry. The government is going to get the money. But I doubt anyone concerned about the $40 would spend much anyway. I do have sympathy for people that are stressed about a positive test.  

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

We are happy that Bermuda was dropped on the Silhouette TA also.  I think they are trying to get back some income from the past 2 years (you can't blame them) but to ask people to pay $40 application fee when they were not planning on getting off the ship was a bit greedy in my mind.  The testing required two days before disembarking in Bermuda was a bit much also, considering we all have to be tested before boarding in Southampton.  A nightmare for Celebrity. 

In the past we have loved our stops in Bermuda but Lisbon will be a nice change this time.

Edited by TeaBag
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We are happy that Bermuda was dropped on the Silhouette TA also.  I think they are trying to get back some income from the past 2 years (you can't blame them) but to ask people to pay $40 application fee when they were not planning on getting off the ship was a bit greedy in my mind.  The testing required two days before disembarking in Bermuda was a bit much also, considering we all have to be tested before boarding in Southampton.  A nightmare for Celebrity. 

In the past we have loved our stops in Bermuda but Lisbon will be a nice change this time.

Whether you were planning to get off in Bermuda or not you would have been in Bermuda. Part of their rational for the fee is they have one small hospital and the fee covers expenses related to Covid. Testing in Southhampton and then again two days before did not make any sense. It is incredible to me they were willing to sacrifice the transatantic stops. Not only is the government hurting their tourism sector they are not getting the $40 the port fees. Very weird.....

39 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Part of their rational for the fee is they have one small hospital and the fee covers expenses related to Covid.

Assuming between 2,000 and 2,500 pax per visit (and with fuller ships, that's now a low range), that leaves them with between $80,000 and $100,000 per ship for uninsured medical expense.  I'd say that their rationale covers a lot more than "expenses related to Covid", especially with omicron being the dominant variant.

Bermuda has 19 cruise ships scheduled at port during September.  Using the above figures, that nets them between $1,520,000 and $1,900,000 in fees just in the month of September.

• Like 2