Three things you should never do when booking Oceania

Robjame

4 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

OLife shore excursions are never a good deal. They are offered to the guests for the pure sake of convenience and represents a significant profit center for Oceania. Even with the possibility of a 25% discount from volume purchases, one is still typically paying 2X+ the cost of a comparable private tour. Multiply that by two people and it’s often silly.

There are many times O Life shore excursions are a good deal.  For example, Florence or Rome on your own.   If you don’t want to deal with taxis, buses or trains on your own.

I agree that where the ship docks close to town they are not.

if you are only two people they can be good value.  You need to be selective

34 minutes ago, adorocke said:

I feel that we got screwed with our 3 free OLife excursions choice because we had 1 port cancelled (at sea), 1 excursion cancelled, and 1 port switched for another/new port (both of these were tenders with rough waters).  It got very complicated with swapping out the OLife excursions or getting some kind of credit for them- they would not give us the full value credit of the excursion booked and cancelled due to port changes; we only got $100 OBC.  There were other guests upset and haggling with Destination Services on these same issues.  

O is simply refunding the amount you paid for the Life excursions, not the value you got for it.  Why would they refund you $200 in SBC, for example, for an excursion for which you paid $100 when you purchased OLife?

• Like 1

All these complications are a reason I usually just do cruise only and don't worry about the mental gymnastics of worrying about gaming their system to extract a small amount of additional value by choosing the "right" tours. Occasionally I take the shipboard credit which equals the additional fare I pay, but since my rebate from my travel agency equals 10% of my cruise cost, I come out a few bucks ahead.

3 hours ago, adorocke said:

I feel that we got screwed with our 3 free OLife excursions choice because we had 1 port cancelled (at sea), 1 excursion cancelled, and 1 port switched for another/new port (both of these were tenders with rough waters).  It got very complicated with swapping out the OLife excursions or getting some kind of credit for them- they would not give us the full value credit of the excursion booked and cancelled due to port changes; we only got $100 OBC.  There were other guests upset and haggling with Destination Services on these same issues.  

While I understand your upset, do know that you were certainly not “screwed.”

The base value of each O Life allowable excursion is $100 (equivalent of the SBC had your chosen that perk instead).

In part, why folks select the “excursions” O Life options is that you can easily double the value of the perk by selecting those allowable tours which interest you and which are retail priced closer to the $199 cap. In essence, for each extra $100 you paid in the O Life fare, you get a “wash” on the SBC option (dollar for dollar), up to “double your money” (or more) value with the excursions option or a varying value with the booze perk (depending on your consumption, knowledge of craft cocktails and tolerance for mediocre wines-by-the-glass). 

When O is “responsible” for one of its tours not happening, you have the option of taking your $100 base O Life value back (as refundable SBC) or booking a replacement from among the allowable tours at the same or different port - again up to the $199 max value. You have not lost a dollar. And, you are spared the extra work of dealing with/replacing private tour and/or their refunds.

And don’t forget that those O Life tours count toward the minimum required on your cruise to get the 25% discount on any purchased excursions. Done right, a good mix of O Life/YWYW tours need not be that much more expensive then “private only” tours in money and, equally important, far less expensive in logistical time and effort.  

As for O’s tours specifically: At first glance, the math for ship tour changes can appear daunting (if you only DIY by looking at your ShipBoard account and personal notes). However, there’s a much easier way to balance the bottom line: Destination Services can print you an easy-to-read (and regularly updated) spreadsheet with the details of your original bookings plus the net effect of each and every change made before and during the cruise. And, if you or your TA, requested copies of the “pre-purchased shore excursions” PDF when you made your original O tour buy, reconciling the two documents can be done in a few minutes. Then just go to Destination Services and show them any discrepancy. It will get fixed before you leave the ship.

Now some shortsighted folks will pan ALL ship tours for ALL passengers and, of course, that’s ridiculous. Different people assign different value to different parts of the excursions experience. And, for some of those people, the convenience of 1) review the descriptions 2) pick your choices and 3) make your purchase (plus not have to lift a “refund finger” if O or the tour operator cancels) is priceless - particularly when you’re looking at long cruises with as many as 3 dozen or more port days in each cruise in a year’s time.

Like many savvy O cruisers who do multiple long cruises each year (e.g., in 2022, we’ll do a total of just under 100 days across 7 segments on 3 trips), we mix ship and private tours in a way that is most efficacious given our priorities.

Clearly, some unique/unparalleled private tours are worth the time to correspond, manage the logistics, etc (some of my favorites include Maohi Nui [“Patrick”] at Bora Bora, Sicily with Mario, Little Gem Tours [home based in Dublin], the list goes on….). But, as long as you avoid the panoramic bus tours and recognize that, in some of the most remote locations (e.g., Easter Island, along the Amazon….), O has already contracted with the best of the few tour outfits that are still in business, there is something to be said for the right choices from among ship’s tours. And it’s not just “convenience.” 

A case in point: We’ll be doing a partial TransPacific in February. Since Vanuatu is on the agenda, I consulted my Rolodex (yes, I’m  that old) of professional et al. mariners (yachties) there and in NZ/OZ about sail/snorkel opportunities only to learn that most of the commercial outfits at Vanuatu (as well as many in parts of Fiji and New Caledonia) did not survive the pandemic’s devastating affect on tourism. And some responses included those dreaded yachtie words “waitin’ for parts.”

In fact, as it turns out, it looks like Oceania (and any other cruise ships in the neighborhood) already scooped up what may be the last fully operational big cat/snorkel operation(s) at Vanuatu doable in a single day visit. And, yes, the O ship tour has been sold out for a very long time. Don’t despair though. I’m in correspondence with a guy who owns a banana boat that could handle 6 passengers….. (sound familiar to all you private tour afficiaonados?) 

In any case, I reiterate: There’s no one size fits all whether it’s which (if any) O Life option to pick or whether only private tours are worthwhile, etc.

Different strokes for different folks…

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 2

Whew! No desire to quote the Encyclopedia!

Oceania offers you options.I like options! If you don’t want to explore private tours, that’s fine. Oceania offers tours at a price. Some people don’t mind paying the price for the convenience. Nothing wrong with that. My primary comment is let’s not ignore the cost of convenience. If the Encyclopedia Man has a preference for paying 2X-25%, then have at it. If one prefers having their hand held if they leave the ship, Oceania has a solution.

Airfares, ship tours, etc are conveniences Oceania offers. They all come with a cost. Are you happy with the costs? No right or wrong, strictly personal. Flatbush has previously stated he was happy paying $411 for a tour that privately costs $180. Whatever floats the boat.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

While I understand your upset, do know that you were certainly not “screwed.”

The base value of each O Life allowable excursion is $100 (equivalent of the SBC had your chosen that perk instead).

In part, why folks select the “excursions” O Life options is that you can easily double the value of the perk by selecting those allowable tours which interest you and which are retail priced closer to the $199 cap. In essence, for each extra $100 you paid in the O Life fare, you get a “wash” on the SBC option (dollar for dollar), up to “double your money” (or more) value with the excursions option or a varying value with the booze perk (depending on your consumption, knowledge of craft cocktails and tolerance for mediocre wines-by-the-glass). 

When O is “responsible” for one of its tours not happening, you have the option of taking your $100 base O Life value back (as refundable SBC) or booking a replacement from among the allowable tours at the same or different port - again up to the $199 max value. You have not lost a dollar. And, you are spared the extra work of dealing with/replacing private tour and/or their refunds.

And don’t forget that those O Life tours count toward the minimum required on your cruise to get the 25% discount on any purchased excursions. Done right, a good mix of O Life/YWYW tours need not be that much more expensive then “private only” tours in money and, equally important, far less expensive in logistical time and effort.  

As for O’s tours specifically: At first glance, the math for ship tour changes can appear daunting (if you only DIY by looking at your ShipBoard account and personal notes). However, there’s a much easier way to balance the bottom line: Destination Services can print you an easy-to-read (and regularly updated) spreadsheet with the details of your original bookings plus the net effect of each and every change made before and during the cruise. And, if you or your TA, requested copies of the “pre-purchased shore excursions” PDF when you made your original O tour buy, reconciling the two documents can be done in a few minutes. Then just go to Destination Services and show them any discrepancy. It will get fixed before you leave the ship.

Now some shortsighted folks will pan ALL ship tours for ALL passengers and, of course, that’s ridiculous. Different people assign different value to different parts of the excursions experience. And, for some of those people, the convenience of 1) review the descriptions 2) pick your choices and 3) make your purchase (plus not have to lift a “refund finger” if O or the tour operator cancels) is priceless - particularly when you’re looking at long cruises with as many as 3 dozen or more port days in each cruise in a year’s time.

Like many savvy O cruisers who do multiple long cruises each year (e.g., in 2022, we’ll do a total of just under 100 days across 7 segments on 3 trips), we mix ship and private tours in a way that is most efficacious given our priorities.

Clearly, some unique/unparalleled private tours are worth the time to correspond, manage the logistics, etc (some of my favorites include Maohi Nui [“Patrick”] at Bora Bora, Sicily with Mario, Little Gem Tours [home based in Dublin], the list goes on….). But, as long as you avoid the panoramic bus tours and recognize that, in some of the most remote locations (e.g., Easter Island, along the Amazon….), O has already contracted with the best of the few tour outfits that are still in business, there is something to be said for the right choices from among ship’s tours. And it’s not just “convenience.” 

A case in point: We’ll be doing a partial TransPacific in February. Since Vanuatu is on the agenda, I consulted my Rolodex (yes, I’m  that old) of professional et al. mariners (yachties) there and in NZ/OZ about sail/snorkel opportunities only to learn that most of the commercial outfits at Vanuatu (as well as many in parts of Fiji and New Caledonia) did not survive the pandemic’s devastating affect on tourism. And some responses included those dreaded yachtie words “waitin’ for parts.”

In fact, as it turns out, it looks like Oceania (and any other cruise ships in the neighborhood) already scooped up what may be the last fully operational big cat/snorkel operation(s) at Vanuatu doable in a single day visit. And, yes, the O ship tour has been sold out for a very long time. Don’t despair though. I’m in correspondence with a guy who owns a banana boat that could handle 6 passengers….. (sound familiar to all you private tour afficiaonados?) 

In any case, I reiterate: There’s no one size fits all whether it’s which (if any) O Life option to pick or whether only private tours are worthwhile, etc.

Different strokes for different folks…

This "explanation" exactly represents the issue and challenges with O.  An "upscale" cruise line should make it simple for passengers.  O tends to over-complicate almost everything.  Not something many of us experienced cruisers care for.  

35 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Yes it’s their business model. - fortunate for O that most aren’t on CC.

I really think Oceania should change how they tout their OLife Choice package on their website and in their brochures.  There’s nothing they are offering.  All of it gives some sort of value (some good value, some BAD value) to the customers.  But just saying “FREE AIRFARE!!” is certainly unhelpful and is blatantly false advertizing in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I really think Oceania should change how they tout their OLife Choice package on their website and in their brochures.  There’s nothing they are offering.  All of it gives some sort of value (some good value, some BAD value) to the customers.  But just saying “FREE AIRFARE!!” is certainly unhelpful and is blatantly false advertizing in my opinion.

Probably an American thing. People here in the U.S. constantly talk about free public education, free healthcare, free this or that. The bill is getting paid, and just like OLife, nothing is free especially on a cruise ship. If one is naive enough to believe otherwise, perhaps the false advertising isn’t the major issue.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Probably an American thing. People here in the U.S. constantly talk about free public education, free healthcare, free this or that. The bill is getting paid, and just like OLife, nothing is free especially on a cruise ship. If one is naive enough to believe otherwise, perhaps the false advertising isn’t the major issue.

I don’t think that’s really it.  And even if that’s somehow the reason, this business practice is neither helpful or ethical.  Obviously nobody has bothered to formally complain, but, even in the US, business have been asked to drop advertising tactics like this when the item offered “for free” turns out to be not free.

I have no idea why Oceania thinks this business practice is good for them long-term.

• Like 1

I have  said before  they should  drop the  "2 for 1" advertising  it is  not truthful  

no one would pay the brochure price  they advertise

Time has passed  for O Life  as well

Add a package  for those that want  air added on like the Hotel Package

Add  a package  for those that want basic excursions as an add on

They have drink packages people can purchase if they choose

Let's get rid of the games

JMO

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I have no idea why Oceania thinks this business practice is good for them long-term.

It  has worked for them for 20 yrs  😁

People keep buying  the product even with misleading advertising

• Like 1

I agree with Lth28.

Oceania’s model is simple. Some people go to a restaurant and order the steak special for $35. It includes a salad, steak, potatoes, and drink. All inclusive. The salad isn’t free, the potato isn’t free, the drinks aren’t free, it’s all $35.

Others don’t want all that. They just want the steak and potatoes and go to another restaurant to order Ala Carte.

Here’s the catch, if someone at the 2nd place orders Al’s carte all the included items at #1, they’ll probably be paying more than the $35 for it. A lot of Oceania’s customers come because they want Ala carte. Those Teatotallers want nothing to do with contributing to my wine consumption, etc, etc.😢 Oceania gives people the option of a stripped down cruise , then charges steeply for any of their conveniences one may want to add on. It’s a typical tried and true method of operation.

9 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I agree with Lth28.

Oceania’s model is simple. Some people go to a restaurant and order the steak special for $35. It includes a salad, steak, potatoes, and drink. All inclusive. The salad isn’t free, the potato isn’t free, the drinks aren’t free, it’s all $35.

Others don’t want all that. They just want the steak and potatoes and go to another restaurant to order Ala Carte.

Here’s the catch, if someone at the 2nd place orders Al’s carte all the included items at #1, they’ll probably be paying more than the $35 for it. A lot of Oceania’s customers come because they want Ala carte. Those Teatotallers want nothing to do with contributing to my wine consumption, etc, etc.😢 Oceania gives people the option of a stripped down cruise , then charges steeply for any of their conveniences one may want to add on. It’s a typical tried and true method of operation.

My problem is not with the ala carte pricing.  My problem is offering thing ala carte while saying something is "free."  That's just lying.

• Like 2

O has a long history of “slow to change” from a formula that has worked well in filling their ships (at least in non-pandemic times).

Not that it justifies the current advertising language but, remember that O’s original fare structure (in the beginning) included air in the published price and you paid that whether you used it or not. Still, it would always have been more truthful to say “included air” rather than “free air.”

As for getting rid of the ridiculous “2 for 1” fare numbers, it’s just another artifact that O will probably never change since they have no problem selling seats with the current model. 

Wow, did this thread dive off the high board. LOL

5 pages and are there any "things you should never do when booking Ocean"?

My things are never to book Oceanias selected hotels (or any other lines hotels), do not take their airfare offer (or any other lines offer),  excursions a(or any other lines offer and drink packages (or any other lines offer).  On the drink side, we did an experiment. My very good friend and I went on a cruise (Celebrity), he bought a drink package and I did not. In the end, we drank the same amount and types and he did not get his moneys worth and I spent less than he did on drinks.

Do take the OBC and then you can do with that what you want.

We have only been on Oceania once and are going on our second cruise with them soon, primarily because of the food as we have been to so many ports in the Caribbean we are not much interested in excursions. We will most likely just do walk abouts at port and if we do want to go somewhere, we will get someone at the port. We have done this many times and paid less for, in my opinion, a better tour.

We have been on other cruise lines and liked them a lot. The thing is the cruise lines all have to make money and Oceania at least we don't have to pay for "specialty" restaurants.

All folks on CC boards defend their brand or favourite line and it can get heated. It is a vacation and why argue if yours is better than mine?? 🙂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Psoque said:

Welcome to the Oceania board, people have been saying that for the past 15 years I've been here. I wouldn't get too excited about them changing their marketing anytime soon. 

• Like 3

Very entertaining reading! Especially about the ‘shows’ 😂 (We changed our room so that we can try the new show) 

Here Downunder we don’t have quite the same booking experience as the US offers. We pay either the brochure price, or a website-advertised lesser price. There is no option of a cruise only price, and with or without OLife choices, the price is the same. So OBC is effectively a $300pp discount for us. Simple. Occasionally the offer of all 3 choices included comes up. 
We always use our TA to book all our travel outside NZ. No carrots offered, and no extra charges. No difficulties either. 
No doubt we could book cruises online, but choose to choose to take the easy route! Too old to bother about a few $$. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adorocke said:

Do not book the Oceania car transfer for disembarkation to the airport... a lovely, luxury vehicle but $170 for a 15 minute ride (BCN)!    

Actually, the going rate for a premium sedan/SUV (Mercedes/AUDI/et al.) from the Gothic Quarter or Cruise port location to BCN is about $150+\-. Taxi will be considerably less.

FWIW: a good way to check the going rate for private airport transfers worldwide is mozio.com. You still may want more choices than what you see. But, at least, you’ll get a picture of the average charges in any specific location.

• Like 3

On 9/28/2022 at 12:50 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

As for getting rid of the ridiculous “2 for 1” fare numbers, it’s just another artifact that O will probably never change since they have no problem selling seats with the current model. 

Agreed.

As someone that always books late (less than 90 days) -  I am usually not able to book oceania because it is "waitlisted".   Other cruise lines take a lot longer to fill up.  Their model, marketing, and  advertising is very effective.

9 minutes ago, piedpiper99 said:

Agreed.

As someone that always books late (less than 90 days) -  I am usually not able to book oceania because it is "waitlisted".   Other cruise lines take a lot longer to fill up.  Their model, marketing, and  advertising is very effective.

It depends on the itinerary  & cabin class 

There are still cabins open for Nov- Dec cruises  so not all waitlisted

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, the going rate for a premium sedan/SUV (Mercedes/AUDI/et al.) from the Gothic Quarter or Cruise port location to BCN is about $150+\-. Taxi will be considerably less.

FWIW: a good way to check the going rate for private airport transfers worldwide is mozio.com. You still may want more choices than what you see. But, at least, you’ll get a picture of the average charges in any specific location.

Good to know the route to the port from your hotel..we had one cab driver take us a VERY long way around.