Think IV cabins are a disaster? Royal is putting them on their newest ship!

kwokpot

3 hours ago, actuarian said:

I do not think IV cabins are “a disaster”. However, I do think that they are poorly named. The name “infinite veranda” sounds like a particular kind of veranda and that is not really what it is. It is really a panoramic ocean view cabin with a window that opens. Unfortunately, it is difficult to come up with a short name for such a thing. However, I think they will spread to more and more cruise lines in the future simply because, as other posters have pointed out, replacing veranda cabins with panoramic ocean view cabins is a way of conserving fuel, regardless of whether the windows open or not.

I would call them Sun Room cabins.  Or, like we call sun rooms here where I live, "3 Season Room".

On 9/23/2022 at 4:09 PM, RichYak said:

Why do IV fans feel the need to demean the mental capacity of those that don't care for them? Any reasonable person can know the difference between sitting next to an open window and going outside to sit on a balcony, without wasting money on an IV cabin first.

If you feel personally attacked, I apologize. That wasn’t my intention, and I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. That said, suggesting you need to use a physical space to know if it is functional isn’t demeaning your mental capacity, much as I’d suggest one need to use a phone or car first to know if it meets your needs. 

I’m curious to know if people who are anti-infinite balcony are also anti-hull balconies as were found on older ships, as technically they’re inside the ship’s structure in the same way.

Since we now only book Sky Suites the IV is not an issue for us as we will get a traditional balcony on the E class ships.  After seeing how they work, I do not have to cruise in an IV cabin to know I would not like to be in one. We usually cruise with my sister and BIL in adjoining Sky Suites cabins and we also enjoy the much larger balconies when we can open the partitions between our two cabins. This is not an option with the IV cabin.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Only if the window is closed. I'd it's open, the the AC shuts down. 

Am I the only one that is aware that you just have to close the folding doors to your infinite verandah to keep your AC/heat on in the rest of the room? How would they expect anyone to use the verandah otherwise? 

There is literally a switch in the track of the folding doors that activates the HVAC system in the larger room when the IV is open. 

This remains one of those Cruise Critic rumors that will not die, like squatters overtaking Labadee during the pandemic and burning it to the ground.  

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Am I the only one that is aware that you just have to close the folding doors to your infinite verandah to keep your AC/heat on in the rest of the room? How would they expect anyone to use the verandah otherwise? 

There is literally a switch in the track of the folding doors that activates the HVAC system in the larger room when the IV is open. 

This remains one of those Cruise Critic rumors that will not die, like squatters overtaking Labadee during the pandemic and burning it to the ground.  

That is absolutely false. The doors are not airtight they're no different than closet bifold doors. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Whatever is in the folding door, perhaps a locking latch(?), it isn't the "A/C switch".  The A/C switch is electronic (can't use a magnet/defeat device) and therefore isn't a physical switch on folding doors.  This has been asked 100s of times as it's the chief complaint of IVs...lol

Moving the "A/C switch" to the folding doors would correct the chief complaint.  It seems X doesn't care, they seemingly want to create an in-between category of IV between OVs and traditional balconies which are only available at a handful of porthole rooms, often super expensive aft sunsets room and all the rest are all located in suites.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Whatever is in the folding door, perhaps a locking latch(?), it isn't the "A/C switch".  The A/C switch is electronic (can't use a magnet/defeat device) and therefore isn't a physical switch on folding doors.  This has been asked 100s of times as it's the chief complaint of IVs...lol

Moving the "A/C switch" to the folding doors would correct the chief complaint.  It seems X doesn't care, they seemingly want to create an in-between category of IV between OVs and traditional balconies which are only available at a handful of porthole rooms, often super expensive aft sunsets room and all the rest are all located in suites.

You are 100% correct. this has been discussed 100's of times on CC and proven correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

If you feel personally attacked, I apologize. That wasn’t my intention, and I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. That said, suggesting you need to use a physical space to know if it is functional isn’t demeaning your mental capacity, much as I’d suggest one need to use a phone or car first to know if it meets your needs. 

I didn't feel personally attacked nor were my feelings hurt. I only intended to shine a light on the audacity some have of presuming that others can't rule out a particular cruise cabin, phone, or car based on a lack of certain must-have features.

• Like 2

I don't think IVs are  disaster. Nor do I think they are "Putrid". Apparently some people think there is no room between hating them or thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Well here's a novel thought. Some people just prefer a traditional balcony. I would be one of those people. Given the amount of cash we have to plunk down for a cruise , and the amount of time we tend to spend there, I want a cabin I can really enjoy, and has the features I want; not one that is merely tolerable or habitable.  Not a problem for us- we dont sail on RCCL anymore, so they can do what they want. As for E class- it's a suite with balcony,  or it's nothing and we look for a different ship/line with the itinerary we want.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hmmm.  Royal made the same bad bad decision that Celebrity did?  A Royal disaster.  Not a fan of the IV.  I guess I will not be sailing a IV on either Celebrity or Royal.

Some of the older ships with forward facing views and real balconies are starting to look real real good about now.  Less of the megaship feel and more intimate.

Edited by NMTraveller

55 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Hmmm.  Royal made the same bad bad decision that Celebrity did?  A Royal disaster.  Not a fan of the IV.  I guess I will not be sailing a IV on either Celebrity or Royal.

Some of the older ships with forward facing views and real balconies are starting to look real real good about now.  Less of the megaship feel and more intimate.

The percentage of IV cabins for Icon of the Seas will be much less than the edge class.

41 minutes ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

The percentage of IV cabins for Icon of the Seas will be much less than the edge class.

Maybe Celebrity learned a lesson here.  Very few non-IVs on E class unless you are in a suite or sunset veranda for more greenbacks.  Icon of the Seas is just too large of a ship to sail.

Did Icon of the Seas get rid of their forward facing views/lounge?  If so that would definitely be a Royal distaster.

Edited by NMTraveller

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Maybe Celebrity learned a lesson here.  Very few non-IVs on E class unless you are in a suite or sunset veranda for more greenbacks.  Icon of the Seas is just too large of a ship to sail.

Did Icon of the Seas get rid of their forward facing views/lounge?  If so that would definitely be a Royal distaster.

There is the new Aquadome on the front. Similar to the solarium, but reimagined as it will be the new location for the Aquatheater. I'd imagine there would be some spots in the aquadome to get some decent forward facing views but probably not to the level of the Oasis class ships.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

WAY WAY to big.  Can't imagine sailing with, 6000 pax I think??  then add the crew numbers, YIKES!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Since we now only book Sky Suites the IV is not an issue for us as we will get a traditional balcony on the E class ships.  After seeing how they work, I do not have to cruise in an IV cabin to know I would not like to be in one. We usually cruise with my sister and BIL in adjoining Sky Suites cabins and we also enjoy the much larger balconies when we can open the partitions between our two cabins. This is not an option with the IV cabin.

wow, it took till page 4 for someone to recognize that if you have 2 or more balcony cabins you can have them opened up. A definite plus in my case with 4 cabins when the family cruises.

A real balcony is also a plus when one stays up late and its nice enough outside to read a book on a tablet or listen to music.

A final, for now reason is we are accostomed to a balcony set up on ship and like it.Even if only 2-4 hours a day.

Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry anybody?

Also no mention on E class that the true balconies are mostly extended the 4-5 feet further out than IV's. Meaning if on the correct side on a TA you have a better chance of getting sun on balcony. If I have a lounge chair, I can get in a good 3-4 hours more sleep that way.

IV is just different

Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry.

On Cruise line and ship, first reason on picking a cruise is itinerary (I like point to point , not a cruise returning to embarcation port) , second is schedule  (dates) , third probably ship. Fourth--expected value received regardless of price and or class of service.

I will note that the vibe of the cruise and other people on that cruise is important. And we do not care about the long walk from forward to aft based on cabin location. I do anyway as I park my car far from stores in a shopping center. rarely gets a nick and wifes car has plenty as she parks close.

The Beyond is 1065 feet long. 1/5 of a mile. 300 plus strides for fit bit. Not exactly a big deal for most (although SIL has difficulty in walking so have to always keep that in mind.

Recently on the Apex and we all loved the Infinity cabins.  All a matter of personal preference.

Not sure that the number of posts of those that dislike them is a true indicator, I've found on CC that cruisers are more prone to take the time to post when they dislike something as opposed to when they do like something.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

Recently on the Apex and we all loved the Infinity cabins.  All a matter of personal preference.

Not sure that the number of posts of those that dislike them is a true indicator, I've found on CC that cruisers are more prone to take the time to post when they dislike something as opposed to when they do like something.  

And 95% of cruisers are not on CC and the IV rooms are clearly selling, no matter whether its a balcony, veranda, ocean view with a window that opens, it’s still selling.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

And 95% of cruisers are not on CC and the IV rooms are clearly selling, no matter whether its a balcony, veranda, ocean view with a window that opens, it’s still selling.

Lest we forget, it was not too long ago (1990's) that few ships had an overweighting of balconys. Our first cruise with our now adult kids, we took a balcony and the kids were in an inside cabin across the hall (next cruise we had adjoining balcony's but that was panama canal). A lot of OV and insides. Ships were not nearly as many levels.

My aging memory tells me MDR was used for all meals for all groups (perhaps not the very small number of suites), and the buffet was the midnight buffet pool level. Not a big loss. (I do not think there was a big buffet dining room like now)

NCL Westwind. Before they extended it.

(followed up,it held 1200 pssengers before it was extended, description below, nothign lke todays ships) )

http://miamibeach411.com/cruiseguide/norwegian-wind-cruise-ship.htm

Overall, our standards and expectations  have increased substantially. That's good.

As to cruisers on CC, not sure why the number is low.  CC is terribly effective in educating folks and if a specific board is active, it really enhances the cruise viz a viz shore excursions, at sea activities, and making new friends from all over the world.

by difference, a lot of folks just do not know what to do process wise in preparing for cruise et al.

Thats ok it gives us a leg up.

Edited by HMR74

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

They are selling,  but the cruisers complain about them once onboard.  Perhaps part of the reason Royal is putting a lesser number of them on their ships.

I normally don't hear many complaints once onboard but this is the number one complaint.

Edited by NMTraveller