Chair Hogs Alive & Kicking

Shone216

19 hours ago, NotPayinExtra said:

For what it's worth I'm probably more police with these things then I came off. I would be the first to have staff remove stuff for me to use, now I know that's a thing. But I would feel terrible if someone who can't walk barefoot like me and needs special sneakers came out of the water 5 minutes later looking for there shoes. But I do the same thing at the laundromat all the time. People put stuff in the big machines and leave for hours. I'm the first to have staff remove there stuff. I do check out who is sitting in the waiting area first and the bathroom. Just in case they are around. I just think there is a line not to cross. For people maybe 5 feet away who just walked away before you showed up. Is trying to be fair in case that is the situation so wrong before taking that next step? And I do this at laundry all the time, so I get it. But I still feel bad if I'm wrong and machine just stopped, that's why I give it 5 min and look around first. 

From my experience:

Most people only really bothered about chair hogs around the pools. Other places on deck seem to be fine. Which is expected as the pool is the popular area. 

If your towel is just left folded on a deck chair the pool attendants usually ask those around the chair if they have seen anyone who owns that towel.

Towels that are laid out and stuff around the chair as long as every now again you come back to the chair and people around you notice your in the pool a lot all will be fine. 

The idea is to stop those people who hog the chair, with just a towel whislt spending lots of time away from the pool, lunch, shows, etc. As happened during our european cruise this summer. 

As for spending all day in the water thats fine, our dau does but she will still come back and forth to the deck chair to dry off for toilet or grab a drink. So its in use, even though shes part fish with the amount of time spent in the pools. 

47 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't think they want to get involved -- while pleasing one guest in taking away the towels, they open themselves to potential anger /accusation from another guest later.  They definitely fear complaints.  

Logical -- except for putting their things back.  If they haven't returned in all the time you've been using the chair, they didn't really need the chair. 

Admittedly, this is surely mid-day on an at-sea day, and people are watching an event.  The pools aren't usually this packed.  

I've never seen the staff picking up towels. 

That's an excellent system. 

These are rotten seats -- up on tiers in the full sun -- and essentially no one sits in them, even when the pool is crowded.  

Yes the pools are packed as it is a sea day.  Because normally people are off the ship on a port day.  And I have witnessed this pandemonium on the Carnival magic not in my prior picture but 3 weeks ago.  You could not move in the pool area let alone get a chair.  We went down to the lower outside decks.  My point was why on earth would anyone even WANT to sit in that mess of chairs and people, fighting, timing people, moving stuff, arguing, reporting to staff...etc...?  I would give my chair away and run to my balcony or a nice shady corner.  I wouldn't care who was gone for 30 minutes or 5 hours. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, EleventyBangBang said:

I just had an idea.  The cruise line could zip-tie little 30 minute kitchen timers to every lounger - you know, the mechanical ones where all you do is twist the knob and they start counting down.  (For this purpose, though, they should probably be silent, like those hot tub safety control things.)

Anyway, so if you have a lounger, and you need to get up, turn the timer to start a 30 minute countdown.  If you are looking for a lounger, and the timer is running, then you know they really were just here and just got up to go re-beverage, or de-beverage, or whatever.  And if the timer is off, then you know that person isn't coming back any time soon and you can move their stuff. 

I'd add to that idea... put a light on the timer.  Red if the timer is running (chair is occupied) and green if the timer isn't (chair available).  Then you can see what chairs are available (sort of like the lights I've seen at various parking garages... LOVE them!). 

14 hours ago, jean87510 said:

So this is actually worth it?  Give me deck 5 or my balcony.

Screenshot_20220925_210433.jpg

That sure looks like the "water volleyball vs officers" event.  

14 hours ago, alohayall said:

But those towels are lounging by the pool!  

Seriously, I am not a sun worshipper and would prefer a higher chair in the shade. 

But with this decades old problem - known to the cruise lines - why won’t they just put up a shoe-cubby style storage area or lockers. Then leave the loungers for human bodies to use - when they actually need a place to sit/ lounge?  

How long does the average person actually have their body on the lounger?

I've thought for a while RCI (any cruise line) should put in cubbies.  Enough room to keep a pair of flip flops/shoes, a towel, and a book.  I understand not wanting to keep those things too near the pool (and risk them getting wet).

I guess I’ve been mistaken all this time . I thought the chairs with towels were thoughtfully setup by the pool attendant as a nice perk. I just pick one and settle in.

Being of a certain age, plus size and mostly deaf, if someone comes by to discuss chair ownership, I just point to my ear and say, loudly , that I left my hearing aids in the room. 

Works for me…

Edited by Bxc53
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

30 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

From my experience:

Most people only really bothered about chair hogs around the pools. Other places on deck seem to be fine. Which is expected as the pool is the popular area. 

My favorite is the people who *must* sit by the pool. Only to complain it is too noisy, and to never go in the pool.

People are just jerks in general. I've had my stuff removed while I literally got up to get food and wasn't gone for more than 20 minutes. I also don't get the people that put their towels down for 5 hours and go elsewhere. 

There's almost always a spot somewhere.

OK, so what I've picked up on since last night is the signs about 30 minutes or your stuff will be removed is just signs. And asking or expecting staff to make a sweep of empty chairs periodically isn't really a thing to wait for. This is based on the replies since about 8pm last night. Kinda stinks after all the fuss yesterday. 

I was starting to think I didn't have to "stake my claim at 7am" cause the staff would be removing all the 6am no shows by 9am anyway. Lol.

Before I say this next part I have to say save your breath. It now looks like a "if you can't beat em, join em" situation.

I was good with staff say wait till top of the hour and we will make a sweep of the place or something. But if they don't follow through with the sign/rule, then.....

I'm good with being far from pool when outside. (Noise) But if in solarium, I would like my seat to be in solarium. Lol. The plan (up until yesterday) was up at 6am. Breakfast 7am. Grab chair by 730am worn out or not. Looks like I'm back to that. But that's cool. I didn't spend money to sleep. Just a shame that they don't actually enforce the rule. 

12 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Just back off Anthem.  Chair hogs in abundance.

Arrived in Madeira,  a port stop. Went up to deck 15, at 08.45, and there was a row of 5 chairs each "reserved" with a towel.

By 10.30 still unoccupied.  Went to the towel station and they came and removed the towels.

At 3.30 a woman appeared, wondering why "her" seats were occupied. Stomped off to complain,  and had the large sign alongside the towel station  pointed out to her.

People like that don't care if they are right or wrong.  It's ALL about them, period.  Rules are for everyone else.  Everyone else are the "unwashed".  

On 9/24/2022 at 11:33 PM, brillohead said:

On Explorer this past spring, I got the last chair in the Solarium at 6am.  

Only a handful of people actually in the Solarium at that time, but innumerable towels, flip flops, books, beach bags, etc.

They belong to invisible or masked (everyone looks the same) fellow cruisers.

I don't get it. If the pools aren't even open and nobody is sitting in the seat before 8am why don't they just remove all of them. It's not like they can accidentally miss someone who is there swimming or anything? Better yet, make everyone return towels each night. Then not give out new one's till 9am.

43 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait4NextYear said:

Better yet, make everyone return towels each night. Then not give out new one's till 9am.

My day starts well before 9 AM. I'm often on deck early listening to music and watching the sunrise. So think up some other plan, that also will never be implemented, that doesn't interfer with my cruise habits.😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If people want the deck chairs so much, maybe we should let them cruise there 24/7 and allow them to share a stateroom with other similar cruisers for just 30 minutes at a time!!!  That may allow them to be more considerate of others.  But maybe not?

Not meant to be mean spirited but everyone should be able to enjoy their cruise.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, jean87510 said:

So this is actually worth it?  Give me deck 5 or my balcony.

Screenshot_20220925_210433.jpg

Since that is the "officers" versus passenger pool volley ball, yes it is worth it.

Great fun to watch and even more fun to play.

15 hours ago, ScubaCruiserC said:

We chose not to copy the rude behavior of the chair hogs.  

I'm really not trying to be "rude" with my response to your post.  But, I must say, for general consumption,  that "turning the other cheek" has never worked in history and changed nothing. 

You're not "rude" if you notify an official if someone is breaking the rules of whatever entity you are at and trying to enjoy.

JMHO

Edited by Ret MP

Policy. Royal Caribbean Lines International has a publicized policy. I am always amazed how many policies are created but never enforced. If one does not enforce the policy, it because toothless and useless. The policy should be removed.

Kind of like the "Pirates Code", more of a guideline than a code.

Regards, 😁

If I was a crew member, working at the Towel station, I'd think about getting to the Pool deck early and place a towel on EVERY lounger.  Just to see the mayhem.  Of course, I'd be out of a job soon after.  But, it may be worth it.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Policy. Royal Caribbean Lines International has a publicized policy. I am always amazed how many policies are created but never enforced. If one does not enforce the policy, it because toothless and useless. The policy should be removed.

Kind of like the "Pirates Code", more of a guideline than a code.

Regards, 😁

That is definitely true.  Not just in the cruise industry, either.  This is so true, "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease".  

I've always said that if a policy or law isn't enforced, get rid of it.  However, I believe that laws/rules should be followed/enforced as long as they are on the books, period. The vast majority of us follow the rules/laws (well, we used to).  Why should those that don't get away with it!  

12 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I've always said that if a policy or law isn't enforced, get rid of it.  However, I believe that laws/rules should be followed/enforced as long as they are on the books, period. The vast majority of us follow the rules/laws (well, we used to).  Why should those that don't get away with it!  

Do you turn yourself in when you speed?  😄

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

That is definitely true.  Not just in the cruise industry, either.  This is so true, "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease".  

You were very accurate that most of us follow rules and laws. I cannot be arrested for violating policy unless the policy has basis in law.  Royal Caribbean can move personal items from the chair according to their policy while on board. They cannot arrest anyone for it. Should they choose not to enforce, it tends to embolden those who wish not to follow it. The type of person who ignores this policy does not think beyond themselves with or without a policy. They think they are more important than their fellow passengers.  I am not going to exhaust myself in an attempt to teach them something they should have learned in kindergarten. Share the classroom toys with others, not keep them all to yourself. 

I would like the policy enforced in a uniform manner but I do not want to get involved in a verbal or physical confrontation. I will not attempt to enforce a policy that the cruise lines themselves do not enforce.

I think I have beaten this dead-horse enough. I do thank everyone for their posts. I have something to ponder during my next cruise as I walk the decks. 😉

• Like 2