Starlink Installation Schedule?

orville99

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They said they are not releasing a schedule when they were asked that directly

Thanks. I guess there will be a "Where's Waldo" type of thread sprouting up soon looking for one of these things. 

SpaceX Unveils Redesigned Second-Gen Starlink Dish | PCMag

Edited by orville99
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, orville99 said:

It was virtually unusable on Mariner last month as well.

For what’s it worth , was told By March 2023 . 
and yes the Voyager TA Wi-Fi was horrific. The officer in charge of Wi-Fi was the most popular and unpopular man on ship . But patient and earned my respect dealing with the thousands of complaints and continuing to show up and assist guests with a smile . 

• Like 1

I will readily admit that I am completely clueless on this technology, but it occurs to me that if there is a way to construct/configure the dishes in such a way that they can be placed inside the existing satellite domes on the ships that we may never actually see one of these dishes on board (other than the "test" ones they put on Freedom).

Edited by orville99

My husband and I just installed Starlink in our home.  We installed the system ourselves.  We live in north central PA in the country and the internet we had was horrible.  We decided to try Starlink because anything is better than what we had.  Installed on the roof of our house and we now have "high speed" internet.  It will be interesting to see how it will work on a moving ship.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ssb said:

For what’s it worth , was told By March 2023 . 
and yes the Voyager TA Wi-Fi was horrific. The officer in charge of Wi-Fi was the most popular and unpopular man on ship . But patient and earned my respect dealing with the thousands of complaints and continuing to show up and assist guests with a smile . 

I agree 💯 percent. He definitely was both popular and unpopular, but he was very patient and helpful and we received a couple of days refund when we didn’t have it at all. Most days we had to be sitting at a certain table in the promenade to get any reception at all. I will welcome starlink if it’s better.

Just did a B2B on Independence. The middle of the cruise the Cruise Compass said that Starlink was now live. The internet was good but I didn't stream anything. No speed test either. Don't know how helpful this is to the discussion but maybe someone else on that cruise could comment.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It can’t be soon enough. Internet was terrible on the Voyager TA. 

They will also need install a wireless modem in each cabin on the Voyager , you need to keep your cabin door open to the hall to get a signal and the balcony there was no signal 

on Celebrity E-class ship there is a modem in each cabin

23 hours ago, orville99 said:

Thanks. I guess there will be a "Where's Waldo" type of thread sprouting up soon looking for one of these things. 

SpaceX Unveils Redesigned Second-Gen Starlink Dish | PCMag

Its the one on the right without the stand, laid flat.  Just got of Indy.  They are installed on the Canopy for the Flowrider seating and the top above deck 13 forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone I know who just got off EN a couple of weeks ago said they were starting installation.   They were working on the cable so I would think it's done by now.  There were a couple of other ships mentioned that were the first few.  

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 11:16 AM, sgerth said:

We decided to try Starlink because anything is better than what we had.  Installed on the roof of our house and we now have "high speed" internet.  It will be interesting to see how it will work on a moving ship.

Uh-oh, you put that in quotes.  

Is it not really high-speed?  

General question:  I'm supposedly going to be on the Freedom Jan. 30th.  (Looong story.)   I know they trialed or tested Starlink on the Freedom, but has it been made permanent on there?  If so, any reports on speed? 

11 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

Uh-oh, you put that in quotes.  

Is it not really high-speed?  

I think they were being excited that they now have much faster speed.

My daughter lives in rural Missouri. The Best they could get was DSL at about 1.5Mbps download speed for many years.

Finally, Starlink became an option in her area and they are now running between 80 and 120Mbps.

That is a giant leap. 

I expect the ships to be able to throttle the speeds down to 5 to 10Mbps based on the pricing levels and your loyality status. I know at my highest loyalty status hotel, regular guest get about 3Mbps whereas if you pay extra (or free for status guests) you get about 10Mbps

Edited by klfrodo

Celebrity has posted their installation schedule for all their ships. They also have posted the pricing. $20 p.p. per day for the basic, and $35 p.p. per day, for their new one.

I’m beginning to wonder if my home internet provider is making any money, $2.33 per day for 300mb download, 290 mb upload, unlimited devices, and modem/router use.

55 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

I know they trialed or tested Starlink on the Freedom, but has it been made permanent on there? 

If so, any reports on speed? 

Yes.

Whatever speed was reported (up to 50Mbps down) was likely still during the testing phase and can change. The issue on ships was rarely pure speed (4 Mbps Stream on both old geo sat service and O3B was fine for streaming video) it was the latency that killed performance. That's one of the main things Starlink will address.