Portable clothes steamer

music

33 minutes ago, music said:

Is a handheld clothing steamer allowed? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Very IFY…I’d say no.  This is very close to a clothes iron. They do have launderettes OB with irons and ironing boards on almost every deck.

Prohibited items:

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.
  • Like 1

We have brought our $20 travel steamer on every Princess cruise and have never had an issue. You'll notice it is not explicitly listed in the prohibited items. We just returned from a twelve-day cruise on Emerald yesterday afternoon. It was in our checked luggage and kept in plain sight of the stewards throughout the cruise. It saved me a lot of hassle, wrinkles, and long trips to the hot laundromat. 

32 minutes ago, spongecakenibbler said:

We have brought our $20 travel steamer on every Princess cruise and have never had an issue. You'll notice it is not explicitly listed in the prohibited items. We just returned from a twelve-day cruise on Emerald yesterday afternoon. It was in our checked luggage and kept in plain sight of the stewards throughout the cruise. It saved me a lot of hassle, wrinkles, and long trips to the hot laundromat. 

It's not listed as a prohibited item on their web site.  But it appears that they have other lists of prohibited items that includes irons and clothes steamers.

Just part of the inconsistencies with Princess.

I took one on many cruises, but then on one of the cruises to took it and gave it back to me when we were leaving the ship.

11 hours ago, Kay S said:

Can you heat up your water in a clothes steamer and then use it to make a cup of tea? 😉

This works nicely and makes it through security scanners in my backpack or suitcase since it looks like a reusable water bottle,  Just pack the power cord with your computer.

Amazon.com: Portable Electric Kettle,Travel Kettle,Travel electric kettle for Boiling Water,Portable Water Boiler, One Cup Hot Water Maker, 350ml Small Mini Portable kettle for travel,Camping,Office Coffee,Tea: Home & Kitchen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

This works nicely and makes it through security scanners in my backpack or suitcase since it looks like a reusable water bottle,  Just pack the power cord with your computer.

Amazon.com: Portable Electric Kettle,Travel Kettle,Travel electric kettle for Boiling Water,Portable Water Boiler, One Cup Hot Water Maker, 350ml Small Mini Portable kettle for travel,Camping,Office Coffee,Tea: Home & Kitchen

You may not need to "hide" the cord. The info says it has an auto-off. That's a requirement for electrical appliances on ships.

On 10/1/2022 at 4:29 PM, spongecakenibbler said:

mid you don’t mind me asking, what steamer do you use?

13 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Its cute...but I think I will go to the IC and get my cup of tea.

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

Its cute...but I think I will go to the IC and get my cup of tea.

Yes, but it's so much easier to just roll out of bed and sip a fresh cup on the balcony! 😁  I ordered one of those water heaters for use in some other travel situations.  It's just so cute!

On 10/3/2022 at 1:46 AM, Kay S said:

Yes, but it's so much easier to just roll out of bed and sip a fresh cup on the balcony! 😁  I ordered one of those water heaters for use in some other travel situations.  It's just so cute!

This looks nice too!
https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-Electric-Collapsible-Silicone-Voltage(600ml/dp/B07YRT7WJ9

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 11:35 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

You may not need to "hide" the cord. The info says it has an auto-off. That's a requirement for electrical appliances on ships.

The auto-off feature is required for those items that are otherwise allowed, like heating pads and such.  Typically, it is the auto-off feature that fails causing the appliance to catch fire.

• Thanks 1