Any update on Grand Turk dock repair?

AtSeaWithChris

9 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Could you please explain to those of us who haven't been where The Dockyard mentioned in the article is? The other island and not GT?

Dockyard bar is in Kew Town near "Downtown" Providenciales. Nowhere near Grace Bay where most tourists stay.

12 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

Dockyard bar is in Kew Town near "Downtown" Providenciales. Nowhere near Grace Bay where most tourists stay.

Thanks. So is the cruise port on another island than the island where Grace Bay and Kew Town are located? 

Edited by sanmarcosman

7 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Thanks. So is the cruise port on another island than the island where Grace Bay and Kew Town are located? 

Yes sir. Provideciales is located somewhat near the center of the archipelago, while Grand Turk is a few Island to the east.

A far greater majority of the crime in T & C is in Provodenciales (Provo). And most of the violence gas been perpetrated by Jamaican drug gangs. Waged almost exclusively on those involved with them. This shooting of a tourist is an extremely isolated incident.

Not to be insulting to anyone, but IMHO if you feel unsafe in GT then you probably shouldn't debark in any Caribbean or Bahamian port. Jamaica, DR, Mexico and Nassau all have much higher crime rates than the T & C. Including Provo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Island Dog said:

IMHO if you feel unsafe in GT then you probably shouldn't debark in any Caribbean or Bahamian port. Jamaica, DR, Mexico and Nassau all have much higher crime rates than the T & C. Including Provo.

Yes, of course. The article I read yesterday said one of the Americans killed was riding on an excursion tour bus that was fired into multiple times. The man killed was a leader in the NAACP assigned to Arlington, Va.

We were assigned duty in Bermuda by the U.S. Navy when the British Governor Sir Richard Sharples was assassinated in Hamilton. Islands have crime like other places as you say. Thanks again

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

My pleasure, Sanmarcosman. 

The T & C will always have a special place in my heart. My wife and I honeymooned on Grace Bay at Club Med. Grace Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and the entire island of Provo is a gem. Chalk Sound is one of the most visually amazing places I have ever had the pleasure to witness. The views are stunning. If anyone has the chance, spend a week on Grace Bay on Provo. It is a truly amazing place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2022 at 6:19 PM, dolphinsfan246 said:

Mardi Gras has actually always been too big to fully dock at the Grand Turk pier. What they do is dock “on thrusters” meaning they tie up as much as the can and gently use the thrusters to keep them pushed up against the dock. If you have been to GT recently you should have noticed construction on the pier, Carnival was in the process of extending the pier to accommodate the larger ships but I think most of that progress got washed away. 

I think they may have finished it. I was just on the MG acouple of weeks ago and i didnt see any construction

On 10/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, CruzerDeb said:

I was on Carnival Sunrise, the first ship back at GT on Tuesday. It was wonderful! Islanders were glad to have us back. Made the walk down to Jack’s Shack. They have a new deck and are open for business. 

Going to GT December when leaving out the building which way do you go to get to Jack Shack

20 hours ago, LPGA Golfer Gal said:

Any word on if and when diving excursions will return on the GT itineraries? Hubby always loves to dive GT and for Dec it is showing zero dives. 

https://gtdiving.com/

Try booking a dive trip with Grand Turk Diving. They are excellent, will have a smaller group than the ship tour and are more reasonable. They will meet you a short walk up beach from the pier. 

Their Snorkeling excursions are amazing too.

Every diver/snorkeler should visit the wall at least once in their life. It is so beautiful it is surreal.

Edited by Island Dog
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, siestakeys04 said:

Going to GT December when leaving out the building which way do you go to get to Jack Shack

Once you get onto the island, turn left (North) and walk past (through) Margaritaville, up the beach.  You can't miss it.  Enjoy!😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShakyBeef said:

Once you get onto the island, turn left (North) and walk past (through) Margaritaville, up the beach.  You can't miss it.  Enjoy!😀

Thinking about the clarity of the directions I gave, long after it's too late to edit my post.  I should have made it clear that your starting position on land for the above directions would be with the ship behind you.☺️

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, Island Dog said:

Once again, this is on Provo, not Grand Turk. I'd feel safer on Grand Turk than in ANY U.S. city, for that matter.

Absolutely this.    I was considering retiring there.   (Not now, though, since my 401k lost seven grand in one MONTH. 😞 )  

For those unaware, if you look at a map of the Turks & Caicos, you'll see a long, curving horizontal island which is Providenciales.  There are no cruise terminals there, but quite a few resorts and an international airport.  Population about 40,000.   From there heading down to the southeast you'll see the much smaller island of Grand Turk and Cockburn Town, capital of the Turks & Caicos (oddly enough), population around 4,500.  When a ship docks, the population doubles.  The LAST thing they want is any hint of crime, and I suspect the locals would swiftly "take out the trash" in a hurry if something came up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, siestakeys04 said:

Great thank you. Are there fees for chairs and umbrellas 

It's been about 2 1/2  years since I was last at Jack's, but last time I was there I believe the chairs were still free to Jack's Shack patrons (order at least one drink or one food item), and there was a $10 rental fee for an umbrella. 

If you're going to Jack's and you like rum, don't forget to go to their website and register / print out your free shot of local rum voucher:

https://www.jacksshack.tc/free-shot-of-rum

Have a great time!😄

2 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

New management (Jack's partner) now charges $10 for umbrellas.  Chairs are still free.

That's the way it already was for me when Jack was still there.  I think a few times over the years we didn't get charged for an umbrella, and they were already all set up above the row of loungers.  But most times, you would pay for the umbrella then someone would come and set it up for you over your chosen lounger.