Any update on Grand Turk dock repair?

AtSeaWithChris

I saw a report dated Sep. 28 that they hoped repairs would allow ships to return in 1 week. So I guess we should look to see if any call next week.

There is debate over whether the pier extensions will be usable. This is what allows longer ships like Mardi Gras to dock.  They could be limited to smaller ships, but I did not find anything to suggest what length is okay without extensions. I am on Legend scheduled there in a month.

• Like 1

Not familiar with all the damage to Grand Turk but it is more than just the dock.  The rest of the tourism infrastructure must be in place including power, water, and other facilities.  Plus a sufficient workforce must be able to return to work.  It takes time and I hope for the island the damage was not extensive.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lostsoulcruiser said:

Not familiar with all the damage to Grand Turk but it is more than just the dock.  The rest of the tourism infrastructure must be in place including power, water, and other facilities.  Plus a sufficient workforce must be able to return to work.  It takes time and I hope for the island the damage was not extensive.

Article above seems to indicate that at least of GT things are heading back to normal.  While there was a need for drinking water, infrastructure wasn't heavily damaged.  

We'll need to wait to see which ships can dock later this week.

• Like 2

Mardi Gras has actually always been too big to fully dock at the Grand Turk pier. What they do is dock “on thrusters” meaning they tie up as much as the can and gently use the thrusters to keep them pushed up against the dock. If you have been to GT recently you should have noticed construction on the pier, Carnival was in the process of extending the pier to accommodate the larger ships but I think most of that progress got washed away. 

50 minutes ago, dolphinsfan246 said:

Mardi Gras has actually always been too big to fully dock at the Grand Turk pier. What they do is dock “on thrusters” meaning they tie up as much as the can and gently use the thrusters to keep them pushed up against the dock. If you have been to GT recently you should have noticed construction on the pier, Carnival was in the process of extending the pier to accommodate the larger ships but I think most of that progress got washed away. 

I’ve noticed that construction at Amber Cove but haven’t noticed it at Grand Turk. But I’ve only been to Grand Turk once in the past several years.

10 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

Leave on the Mardi Gras this Saturday, still showing us going to Grand Turk. My girlfriend has social media and it is being reported that this weeks sailing is going the Nassau instead of Grand T urk.

I'm on this sailing and that's correct. Our itinerary completely changed so its now San Juan, which was today, Amber Cove tomorrow, and Nassau on Friday.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, soulsistah007 said:

I'm on this sailing and that's correct. Our itinerary completely changed so its now San Juan, which was today, Amber Cove tomorrow, and Nassau on Friday.

Unfortunately, that's what I'm expecting for future MG cruises until the extension is completed.

11 minutes ago, GoofyCdn said:

I just heard that October 11th is the scheduled opening date and the first arrivals back.

I really hope this date holds true - that’s my cruise and I’ve been looking forward to GT. 🤞

20 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

good luck Deb...GT is a fantastic little island.   

i wish i could see more of it but i can't get past the world's greatest Margaritaville.  dranks and pool are my sweet spot, ha! 

This will be my third time in GT and it’s one of my favorite places to be. I’ve sat at the pool at Margaritaville (those drinks and nachos!), on the beach there and walked down to Jack’s Shack. Heading back to Jack’s this time … will probably stop at M’ville for a drink before getting back on board!

On 10/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, CruzerDeb said:

I really hope this date holds true - that’s my cruise and I’ve been looking forward to GT. 🤞

I'll be on the Freedom, it's supposed to dock there next week. I haven't seen any indication of a change in itinerary but I haven't really dug deep either

GT is not high on my list, even lower now with the tourist shooting.

Of course, I did not sit at the port bars and drink, but went around and explored the island. The high poverty makes it a challenge to properly address needs, and crime is expanding,  just like so many other  Caribbean islands, sadly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

GT is not high on my list, even lower now with the tourist shooting.

Of course, I did not sit at the port bars and drink, but went around and explored the island. The high poverty makes it a challenge to properly address needs, and crime is expanding,  just like so many other  Caribbean islands, sadly.

Huh? Tourist shooting? I have always heard that Turks and Caicos has the lowest crime rate in the Caribbean and have never seen an poverty of any sort on GT or Provo (Providenciales) as well.

• Like 1

That shooting was in Long Bay on Provo. Not GT. Provo is the most populated island in the T&C. GT has a smaller population than guest capacity on Mardi Gras. There is no crime issue on Grand Turk. One of the safest islands to visit IMHO.

• Like 6

Caribbean news update regarding gang violence in Turks & Caicos:

https://caribbean.loopnews.com/content/gang-violence-surge-turks-and-caicos-related-transnational-crime

U.S. State Department increases T&C to level 2 advisory this week:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/turks-and-caicos-travel-advisory.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBella said:

Caribbean news update regarding gang violence in Turks & Caicos:

https://caribbean.loopnews.com/content/gang-violence-surge-turks-and-caicos-related-transnational-crime

U.S. State Department increases T&C to level 2 advisory this week:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/turks-and-caicos-travel-advisory.html

Once again, this is on Provo, not Grand Turk. I'd feel safer on Grand Turk than in ANY U.S. city, for that matter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Island Dog said:

Once again, this is on Provo, not Grand Turk. I'd feel safer on Grand Turk than in ANY U.S. city, for that matter.

Could you please explain to those of us who haven't been where The Dockyard mentioned in the article is? The other island and not GT?

Edited by sanmarcosman