Update in Classic Package

john2003

I am just trying to manage my expectations. We will have the Classic Drink package which I believe is limited to $9. When I look at the drink menu under the bars on the X app, it appears there are very few drinks that fit the $9. Even a Pinot Grigio is $11. I have looked at the liquor list so know what we can get there. 
I know we only pay the difference if we go over. Will there be other wines and cocktails available within the $9 limit or should we expect to pay an extra $2 to $5 per drink if we don’t upgrade?

Most cocktails can be made with the liquors in the Classic package, margaritas, Cosmos, pina coladas, vodka & cranberry, mudslide, standard martinis. etc.  what isn’t covered are drinks at the World  Class Bar and the martinis at the martini bar. The bar menus do not list all drinks you can get a gin and tonic at most any bars for example but it’s not listed on the bar menu.

The wines on the Classic package are somewhat limited but if you tell your sommelier that you have the Classic package and would like a glass of Chardonnay or Cabernet they will have wines within your package.

Many do not upgrade the beverage package and find everything they enjoy within the package.

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, odysee said:

Same for all worldwide sailings (incl Transatlantic and Caribbean) according to Celebrity website .DE or .CH

Not unless it changed recently.  The limits are $9 and $15 except in places like Southampton and Australia where posted prices must include the gratuity .

So a $ 15 glass of wine on a ship in South America  or the Caribbean is listed as $ 15 but there is a20% gratuity added on that wine or $18 total.  In Southampton that same glass of wine will be listed at $18. because  the total cost must be show on the menu.

• Like 1

Thanks for this. Our sailing will be from Sydney on the Eclipse. Maybe when I look at the bar prices they have the 20% added. 
i just looked for the MDR under wine. It lists for the Classic and Premium packages separately and the Classic is up to $11 so all looks fine. 

Edited by john2003
Added info

44 minutes ago, john2003 said:

Thanks for this. Our sailing will be from Sydney on the Eclipse. Maybe when I look at the bar prices they have the 20% added. 
i just looked for the MDR under wine. It lists for the Classic and Premium packages separately and the Classic is up to $11 so all looks fine. 

Yes, all of the wines you see for $11 on your sailing are covered by the Classic package, as are cocktails in that price range. I think I got confused too when I sailed on an Australia cruise years ago.

10 hours ago, john2003 said:

I am just trying to manage my expectations. We will have the Classic Drink package which I believe is limited to $9. When I look at the drink menu under the bars on the X app, it appears there are very few drinks that fit the $9. Even a Pinot Grigio is $11. I have looked at the liquor list so know what we can get there. 
I know we only pay the difference if we go over. Will there be other wines and cocktails available within the $9 limit or should we expect to pay an extra $2 to $5 per drink if we don’t upgrade?

Many cocktails can be made within the Classic limit as long as you don't ask for premium liquor.  My personal view is that in a cocktail the mixers are more important than the liquor except in some very classic cocktails like the Manhattan or Old Fashion where you really taste the underlying liquor.

Wine is a very different story. If you care about and can taste the difference in wines expect to pay a few dollars extra for each glass of wine. I almost always had a glass of wine with dinner and paid the upgrade.  Unless you are drinking a lot of wine it does not add up to much.

On 10/11/2022 at 6:10 AM, john2003 said:

I know we only pay the difference if we go over.

Is that really the case? I thought this only works for the Premium package, not the Classic. If Classic limit is $9, a $10 drink will cost $10 and not only $1.

Premium limit $15 and a $16 drink will be $1.

Edited by UniPac

2 hours ago, UniPac said:

Is that really the case? I thought this only works for the Premium package, not the Classic. If Classic limit is $9, a $10 drink will cost $10 and not only $1.

Premium limit $15 and a $16 drink will be $1.

That used to be the case years ago. They changed it so that the Classic works like the Premium. For many people, less incentive to upgrade...

7 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

That used to be the case years ago. They changed it so that the Classic works like the Premium. For many people, less incentive to upgrade...

Thanks. Was cruising every year but seems I still missed that haha.

So with Classic, anything above $9 on the menu will be charged the difference to $9 only.

Also keep in mind if you have the drink package (classic or premium) no corkage fee for the 2 bottles per person is allowed when served in the dining room.

So if there is a really nice wine you like, you are able to bring it onboard and ask to have it served in the dining room or enjoy in your cabin. 

Also, if you find that once onboard, you are ordering a lot of drinks that would have an up-charge, you cal always upgrade your package to premium on the ship. Your waiter or bartender would be thrilled to help you with that upgrade. 😀

9 minutes ago, UniPac said:

Thanks. Was cruising every year but seems I still missed that haha.

So with Classic, anything above $9 on the menu will be charged the difference to $9 only.

Yes, the difference plus the 20% gratuity on the difference. So a $12 drink would cost you $3.60. This applies to beer, wine, cocktails and other alcoholic drinks. It doesn't work for premium bottled waters (Evian, Pellegrino), smoothies, flavored waters/energy drinks, etc.

2 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

This applies to beer, wine, cocktails and other alcoholic drinks. It doesn't work for premium bottled waters (Evian, Pellegrino), smoothies, flavored waters/energy drinks, etc.

It could have been so easy! Thanks for pointing that out.

5 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

Yeah, it was changed back in 2016 when they also went to a single price ceiling for beer, wine and liquor.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:56 AM, stellarose said:

phew . thanks for all the info.  we have not sailed celebrity in 10 years.  we have the classic package for our next trip to Bermuda. I just want a few bottles of water (hopefully included) and some frozen daiquiris. 

frozen daiquiris and regular bottle water will be included in the classic no problems there.