Mardi Gras, One and done for us.

Retiredmedic

Just off the Mardi Gras this Saturday 10-15-2022. Ship is really nice, staff is great, constantly cleaning. The ship is also very under staffed. Wait time in most bars to get a drink was 30 minutes or better, some of the bars only had one bartender during peak hours. Havana Bar was our go to bar but no one there could make the classic Daiquiri. They just put rum and lime juice in a glass, shook it for a second and handed it to you. I asked why they were not putting a simple syrup in it, they told me the drink does not have simple syrup in it just rum and lime juice. Tried another Daiquiri in Brass Magnolia bar and they made it the same way. We tried Chi-Bang and was not thrilled, girlfriend ordered the pork carnita's and after she took off the fat was left with two very small bites of food. Went to Cucina two nights and both nights they sat outside the restaurant in front of the Bar Della Rosa even though both nights we were there as soon as the opened. Asked the second night we went if we could sit inside and was told it was full, even though they just opened and could it was half empty. Sitting outside by the bar with everyone walking was not a very nice atmosphere. Ate at Pig and Anchor one night and while the meat was ok the sides were just awful, sides in the little small metal bowl that you use for ketchup at Guys Burgers. Went to a show about Vegas and the male singer was pure 100 percent autotuned. I really miss the lovely mattress that Carnival had on my first few cruises in 2010 and 2012. The ones they have now feel like a small layer and padding and cinder blocks underneath the padding. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Just now, Ilovesailaway said:

I would be frustrated if I waited 30 min for a drink.

OP do you have another line you prefer?

10 cruises so far and all 10 on Carnival. October of 23 we are doing a 8 day to the ABC islands with Celebrity. Will see how they are. Taking my girlfriend grand kids on a cruise next March of 23 on spring break on the Breeze. We like Carnival but the downgrade in food that wasn't that great to begin with and bartenders that swear that there is no sugar in a classic daiquiri is not making want to spend my money with them for very much longer.

• Like 1

Was on the MG in August.  I never had a problem getting a drink from a bar.  The longest was maybe on embarkation day around the pool... maybe 5 minutes.

Pig & Anchor was our least favorite restaurant and we never ate in the MDR for dinner.

Overall the ship was OK.  My biggest complaint was the usage of space.  For a new ship you would think some of the public spaces would have been more thought out.  Its almost like they put in the revenue generating areas and then figured out how to squeeze in the public spaces.  You can be walking around outside on deck 7 and you come to a dead end.  The only way to get back inside is to go all the way back aft.  

• Like 1

Just now, iria64 said:

Was on the MG in August.  I never had a problem getting a drink from a bar.  The longest was maybe on embarkation day around the pool... maybe 5 minutes.

Pig & Anchor was our least favorite restaurant and we never ate in the MDR for dinner.

Overall the ship was OK.  My biggest complaint was the usage of space.  For a new ship you would think some of the public spaces would have been more thought out.  Its almost like they put in the revenue generating areas and then figured out how to squeeze in the public spaces.  You can be walking around outside on deck 7 and you come to a dead end.  The only way to get back inside is to go all the way back aft.  

They also set up choke points outside many of resturaunts and bars for pictures. Outside the Havana bar on the way to Chi-Bang or Cucina they had a photo station and you had to wait 10-15 minutes to walk by because they were taking photos. Maybe they lost staff in between your cruise and mine and but many people were remarking how it took a long time to get drinks from several of the bars.

9 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

They also set up choke points outside many of resturaunts and bars for pictures. Outside the Havana bar on the way to Chi-Bang or Cucina they had a photo station and you had to wait 10-15 minutes to walk by because they were taking photos. Maybe they lost staff in between your cruise and mine and but many people were remarking how it took a long time to get drinks from several of the bars.

To be fair, we never really went to bars at night or during peak times.  We would mostly hit up the shows and order from the staff that came around.  I know what you are saying about the photo stations and can see how it would be a problem especially on formal nights.  Since that's when people are dressed up that would be when they want their picture taken.

Another thing I just remembered... the sight lines in the show venues are awful. One of the comedians even commented on it during one of his shows... something along the lines of... "I want to be put in a venue that is hidden in a closet with poor signage and the most noticeable entrance cannot be used.  Also, how about putting big ass poles around the room so people in the back cannot properly see the show."

Interesting to see how different experiences can be.  We were on the same cruise.  We had great bar tender service at all the bars we went to but admittedly, did not go to Alchemy as it was always packed. We also had great experience at Chibang and ended up going twice.  The small sides were a bit odd at Guys P&A but you could ask for as many as you wanted. Really enjoyed all the different food choices compared to other Carnival ships. Overall, we had a great time and will be going back on Mardi Gras next month. 

• Like 10

We have done the MG three times this year and truly love the ship.  Our last time onboard was mid-September and you could tell they were short on staff.  It did not impact us too much as we spent most days in our cabana at Loft 19, then did specialty restaurants four of the seven nights.  We tried to do things we missed on the prior two MG cruises, so we did one dinner at Pig and Anchor.  While the meat was fine, I didn't particularly like the ambiance so we didn't return (other than for their great Bloody Mary at the bar). 

For dinner on the MG, I recommend Cucina, Rudi's, the steakhouse and Emerill's.  We tried the MDR one night in the past and said never again.  We did Sea Day Brunch and they tried to give us an awful table (tiny two top, right by the server station and in the path of everyone entering and exiting).  I spoke to a  supervisor and asked, why do we always get a terrible table in the MDR?  He said well speak to the host, and I told him that I already spoke to the host, who gave us our table assignment.  He finally said ok, let me find you a better one.  Within five minutes, we were seated in a quiet area with a view of the water.  That is one thing I dislike about the app.  There is no choice on seating, you sign in and they try to seat you wherever is convenient for them.  I would rather wait longer for a table in a good location. 

With Celebration coming out as the new flagship, two of our next four Carnival cruises are on the Celebration.  Many of the great staff formerly on the MG have already been assigned to the Celebration, so I am pretty certain we will enjoy it. 

• Like 2

Thank both of you for your reviews.   Always interesting to see different points of view from same cruise.   I'm assuming that the Mardi Gras docked in Grand Turk last week.  There's a question out about having to show vaccination status there.  Did either of you have any issues?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Thank both of you for your reviews.   Always interesting to see different points of view from same cruise.   I'm assuming that the Mardi Gras docked in Grand Turk last week.  There's a question out about having to show vaccination status there.  Did either of you have any issues?

We didn't have to show any proof of vaccine at Grand Turk. I did meet 3 Mexican national at the shopping area looking at the map of the Caribbean. Grand Turk hired them to repair the dock.

We didn’t love the MG either. We were on last December when it was “reduced capacity” and it was painfully understaffed at that time. I spent more time waiting in various lines than I ever have in my life. I can’t imagine what it must be like at full capacity. It was a beautiful ship and the staff were amazing and friendly and hard working. But Carnival just doesn’t have enough staff to provide a good experience. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

BTW your state has the best Rest Stops I have ever seen in my life. Most rest stops I have ever seen also.

• Like 1

We were on Mardi Gras in April and loved it.  Two of our cruises next year are on Mardi Gras and Celebration.  Also have Jubilee booked in 2024.  There was so much we loved about it, but one of our favorite things was the extended balcony room where we could recline and relax away from the crowds.  We ended up spending most of our sea days relaxing on our balcony.

52 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

BTW your state has the best Rest Stops I have ever seen in my life. Most rest stops I have ever seen also.

Thanks.  They do help my bladder from stopping at grungy truck stops.  But the Busy Bee stops are well worth a stop as well.  We like Payne's Prairie between Gainesville and Ocala. great views of the prairie.  And if they ever finish the 2 near I-75, I-10 interchange, we should see even better.  

1 hour ago, iria64 said:

To be fair, we never really went to bars at night or during peak times.  We would mostly hit up the shows and order from the staff that came around.  I know what you are saying about the photo stations and can see how it would be a problem especially on formal nights.  Since that's when people are dressed up that would be when they want their picture taken.

Another thing I just remembered... the sight lines in the show venues are awful. One of the comedians even commented on it during one of his shows... something along the lines of... "I want to be put in a venue that is hidden in a closet with poor signage and the most noticeable entrance cannot be used.  Also, how about putting big ass poles around the room so people in the back cannot properly see the show."

I don't think it will get much better in the future, the floating mall design seems to be all the rage these days and increasing passenger counts/capacity a major focal point. I expect the issue to only get worse moving forward, bigger ships, smaller cabins and less elbow room in public spaces.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Retiredmedic said:

Went to Cucina two nights and both nights they sat outside the restaurant in front of the Bar Della Rosa even though both nights we were there as soon as the opened.

Did you have anytime Dining?  I belive this is usually a Dining option for those that do so it could very well have been full. Did you use the Hub App to select your dining time and get your table number before you went?

22 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Did you have anytime Dining?  I belive this is usually a Dining option for those that do so it could very well have been full. Did you use the Hub App to select your dining time and get your table number before you went?

Yes we had anytime dining. But we knew people on the ship that had anytime dining and they got to sit inside. Yes the hub app opened for seating at 5:15 and they started seating at 5:30. 

• Like 1

Interesting reviews.  I was under the impression that absolutely everyone was loving the new mega-ships.

We were booked on the Mardi Gras this year, but Carnival gave us the option to cancel with a full refund and my wife decided it was best for us to cancel.  The cruise we booked for next year is on the Celebration.  I have almost no interest in riding the roller coaster, especially if there is a fee.  I did the ropes course on the Magic one time on our last cruise.  It was fun (except that the young man in front of me was terrified and it took an eternity to get through the course...lol) but it wouldn't motivate me to cruise.

I have no intention of cruising on any line but Carnival.  My favorite activities, and what makes cruising so much fun for me, are the group activities like trivia, games like giant Jenga and Yahtzee, and dance classes.  I would hate to see Carnival move away from these smaller activities toward more "bells and whistles".

On a totally unrelated note, we need more dance classes!    

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I don't think it will get much better in the future, the floating mall design seems to be all the rage these days and increasing passenger counts/capacity a major focal point. I expect the issue to only get worse moving forward, bigger ships, smaller cabins and less elbow room in public spaces.  

Yes we are sticking to ship no bigger than the Vista class from now on. Right now Galveston has the Vista, Dream and Breeze, next October we are getting the Jubilee, just wonder which of the three the move out. We will take the grandkids are 4-5 day cruises out of Galveston, but we are branching out for our fall cruise from now on.

2 minutes ago, Retiredmedic said:

Yes we are sticking to ship no bigger than the Vista class from now on. Right now Galveston has the Vista, Dream and Breeze, next October we are getting the Jubilee, just wonder which of the three the move out. We will take the grandkids are 4-5 day cruises out of Galveston, but we are branching out for our fall cruise from now on.

Vista is moving to Port Canaveral next fall.

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

Carnival’s food has seriously nosedived since COVID. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that I can get a better meal at Golden Corral nowadays. And that is a crying shame.

I do think this has to do with most places in the restaurant world, get what you can get as supply is so low. Won't ruin my cruise by any means as the food is "free" in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Riles34 said:

I do think this has to do with most places in the restaurant world, get what you can get as supply is so low. Won't ruin my cruise by any means as the food is "free" in my opinion. 

It's not free, it's part of your cruise fare. When you spend $2,000.00 or more on a cruise you should not have expect fatty cuts of meat. 

• Like 3