Princess New Year’s Day Menu, Collards and Black-eyed Peas?

catarazzi

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

come on. They are super-duper busy getting the special holiday menu ready for thousands of people, and you want them to cook something completely different by special request? What if the other, say,  thousand passengers also have their special requests put in for that night?

I always find it amazing folks feel crew too busy - if you ask well in advance, not a problem. Not everyone is the same, some folks happy with the menu, some not.   I have 31 cruises with Princess, my dh for years made special requests in MDR.   Head waiter would come to him and check out what he wanted; it is part of their outstanding service.    If you are afraid to ask, you never find out.  If they can't do it, they will tell you.  Never hurts to ask.  We even ask for things we want in the buffet, if not out, if they have what we want and can get it they do.  The chef has even cooked something special with an advance request in the buffet.   We always tip extra and often on the spot in the buffet.   We appreciate the service provided. 

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It's interesting to me that many cruisers don't see travel as a way to experience new customs/traditions and instead want to bring their home experiences along on the trip.

I wonder what a Hawaiian new years tradition might be?

I doubt a stay at a Hawaiian hotel would offer collards and black eyed peas

Think "spam" and all-time favorite served in a wide variety of ways in Hawaii.   BBQ pig also comes to mind.

Food is not the only way a traveler can experience new culture and traditions.   My DH is a Sephardic Jew he does not explore new foods when traveling.   I enjoy doing so.   (Not sure why web site decided this comment needs to be in "red")?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Think "spam" and all-time favorite served in a wide variety of ways in Hawaii.   BBQ pig also comes to mind.

Food is not the only way a traveler can experience new culture and traditions.   My DH is a Sephardic Jew he does not explore new foods when traveling.   I enjoy doing so.   (Not sure why web site decided this comment needs to be in "red")?

Oh, I guess system corrected and went back to black and white type?? LOL

NO WAY. would not chance it! Even if they had the black eyed peas and collards. The Ham would be all wrong and the red eye gravy would be made with that ship syrup coffee stuff. yuck and yuck! best bet! make it at home,  freeze it in the Tupperware, pack it, hope for the best. No one on board can make the real deal even if they tried it could not be close to legit! 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Every New Years day we have had black eyed peas cooked with the Christmas hambone, rice, boiled cabbage, and cornbread. Always thought it was a pretty good meal. Told my Yankee friend what our tradition was and she said that was what her dad fed his hunting dogs. 

That’s okay. My husband, another good Southern boy, won’t eat shrimp. He said where he grew up they were called “bait”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, charlie murphy said:

NO WAY. would not chance it! Even if they had the black eyed peas and collards. The Ham would be all wrong and the red eye gravy would be made with that ship syrup coffee stuff. yuck and yuck! best bet! make it at home,  freeze it in the Tupperware, pack it, hope for the best. No one on board can make the real deal even if they tried it could not be close to legit! 

This would be my fear.  If they need to be told what it is, they won't make it right. 🙂  Of course, I don't see anything wrong with asking ahead of time for a special dish, and I don't agree it makes you selfish for doing so.  Most people have traditional holiday dishes they like.  (They do make my traditional turkey on Thanksgiving, but it's inedible!)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pris993 said:

If this was very important to you, I would print out a recipe, to show the head waiter or chef, when you make a special request in MDR in advance.  Princess use to be very attention to special requests, if they had ingredients on board they just might whip something up.  Can't hurt to ask, may do for your table in MDR.  Need to ask ahead of New Year's Day.    Recipe may help them know what you are talking about.  I am on the same cruise, not from the south so have not idea of what you're talking about. 

Thank you for this suggestion. I wonder if they’d include it on the buffet for others to enjoy. I hope you’re looking forward to the cruise as much as we are!

7 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It's interesting to me that many cruisers don't see travel as a way to experience new customs/traditions and instead want to bring their home experiences along on the trip.

I wonder what a Hawaiian new years tradition might be?

I doubt a stay at a Hawaiian hotel would offer collards and black eyed peas

I did actually consider this as a viable alternative idea. He is all for culinary adventure, so we’ll find out what is in offer. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, catarazzi said:

Thank you for this suggestion. I wonder if they’d include it on the buffet for others to enjoy. I hope you’re looking forward to the cruise as much as we are!

It has been my experience in the past if special request was made in the MDR it is just for the table making the request.  If they had similar requests from more than one table maybe, they would do more.  I have cruised on New Year's only once before some time ago, did not eat at buffet at that time. 

• Thanks 1

About as close as he can get to collards would be kale. They'll have plenty of that on the ship. Ask a headwaiter the night before about having some of it cooked for your table the next night. I'd rather have cooked fresh kale than canned collards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Actually Princess just released information regarding new MDR holiday menus which includes New Years. I found the new Thanksgiving menu. The New Years menu should be available at some point.

Ooh where did you see these? Would love to see the holiday menus.

EDIT: Never mind, I found them on another thread. Thank you Astro Flyer! 🙂

Edited by rocklinmom
  • Like 1

I would ask.  They cook for the crew too and bean/peas are popular in many countries. Collard greens are similar to beet tops, so that might give them something to work with.  The kale turned me off the Ceasars Salad - didn't have a one on my last cruise and I usually have several.