Verandah/Signature/Neptune

regan3

Is it worth the cost to upgrade from a verandah stateroom to a Signature Suite or a Neptune Suite? It would be for a seven-night cruise.

Is there that much of a difference in room size, amenities, etc. to justify the additional cost?

If the cost to upgrade is within your budget and is reasonable, yes, it is worth it.  For one 7 day cruise booking on the Westerdam, I booked a Veranda stateroom, a few weeks later, I was offered a reasonable upgrade offer to a Signature Suite and accepted.  48 hours before sailing, I was offered an upgrade to a Neptune Suite and accepted.  Very pleased; I cruised in excellent accommodations at a fraction of what booking the Neptune Suite would have originally cost.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, regan3 said:

Approx. 38% increase in price to go from Verandah to Signature. Approx. 67% to go from Verandah to Neptune. Is a signature suite that much bigger in a practical sense to make it worth it?

Signature suit has much more space than a verandah.  About 1/2 more space and an nicer bathroom and of course, a bigger balcony.  It’s hard to judge by percentages if it worth it or not since we don’t know what you paid.  You might have gotten a steal of a deal when you booked. Or be in a lower cheaper category.

If you say the cost of the upgrade (not what you paid for the cruise) you might be able to get more help. Is this an upsell offer or are you calling to just upgrade ?  It does make a difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, regan3 said:

Approx. $31,00 more to move to a Neptune suite from a Verandah.

$3,100 I think is what you meant to type.  Only you can make that choice.  As I said, if it is within your budget, you are buying not just a stateroom, you are buying a different experience in a Neptune Suite than one has in "just" a Verandah stateroom.  

• Like 1

So the price kind of depends of which Verandah to which SS.  When we were on a Verandah this spring for two weeks, I made note of how much time I was in my stateroom vs outside.  Other than sleeping, I did spend more of my time on my deck and outside of my stateroom than inside my stateroom.  I spent time bathing and dressing, but otherwise, I didn't utilize the stateroom to justify any upcharge.  So, I think you have to consider that as well; especially for a 7 day.  

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

So, I think you have to consider that as well; especially for a 7 day.  

Agree, but there is a difference in the experience--even during a 7 day cruise--between the stateroom categories.  As I said.  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Agree, but there is a difference in the experience--even during a 7 day cruise--between the stateroom categories.  As I said.  

And I would venture to say if you have a larger cabin you might just spend more time in it.

Friends of mine usually book insides / OV’s / verandahs.  When they got the bonus deal to a Signature Suite she said since there was more space she wasn’t in such a rush to get out and enjoyed the cabin 😉  they loved it.  YMMV of course - everyone is different 😉 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

And I would venture to say if you have a larger cabin you might just spend more time in it.

Agree.  The size of the veranda made the stateroom very attractive.  The additional amenities available also were attractive:  hors d'oeuvres (hot and/or cold) delivered in the afternoon when one wanted them, breakfast in the PG, Concierge service and the Neptune Lounge.  

We love the Signature Suites but it would depend on the itinerary. If it's a cruise with very few sea days I would probably go with the verandah. The one exception to that was when I cruised with my mom instead of my husband. It was worth it for that 7 day cruise just to have the extra room. My mom brings a lot of stuff!😁

Personally, I've never seen the value of a Neptune Suite. The amenities offered don't appeal to me and just don't justify the cost IMO.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard “only you can decide”.  I don’t think they op was looking for others to decide for them

Why do you object for a poster to gain perspectives from others?  The observations/experiences that I post are for informative purposes.  What accommodation on a cruise is most certainly a personal decision.  After one has gained whatever information that one wishes to do.  

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

Personally, I've never seen the value of a Neptune Suite. The amenities offered don't appeal to me and just don't justify the cost IMO.

In comparison to what value one receives from a YC suite on a MSC ship, the value is lacking when booking a Neptune Suite.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Why do you object for a poster to gain perspectives from others?  The observations/experiences that I post are for informative purposes.  What accommodation on a cruise is most certainly a personal decision.  After one has gained whatever information that one wishes to do.  

In comparison to what value one receives from a YC suite on a MSC ship, the value is lacking when booking a Neptune Suite.  

I don’t object.  I never said that.  No need to get upset.   What I wonder is why some people constantly say only you can decide.  I can predict it before they write it.  I think it’s very clear that no one can decide for someone else unless the person specifically says “you decide for me”.  If the op said that I missed it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

No need to get upset.

I am not.  😄     Whether to upgrade is always an interesting issue.  While I enjoyed my upgrade to a Neptune Suite, it was an aft suite on a deck below where the Neptune Lounge was with a veranda subject to soot deposits from the funnels.  Yet, I am glad that I made the investment to have this experience.  It won't happen again.  

• Like 1

I’ve been in a veranda and a signature suite. For a 7day if I was traveling with someone I sleep with I would probably stick with a veranda. Traveling with a friend I always opt for the signature suite. Currently I’m on 4 weeks  on Nieuw Amsterdam and traveling solo and went with a signature suite. I love them!! I’m celebrating a big birthday also.😳. For my next 21 days on the Rotterdam I’ll be in a veranda. I don’t like the layout of signature suites on pinnacle class ships. I would only select one if traveling with a child or someone who can benefit from the privacy of the dressing area/Murphy bed area on those ships.    ~Nancy 

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

I absolutely love the Neptune Suites. They are very dangerous though, once you upgrade you will not want to go back. About 10 years ago we did our first cruise in a Neptune, at the time I traveled with my mom & great aunt and we found the balcony cabin was just too cramped for us. We surprised my great aunt with the Neptune - she took one look at the dressing room and said "never again in a cabin." She was right, we have not once gone back. 

Beyond the space, upgrading to a Neptune is a very big upgrade in terms of amenities and treatment onboard. You get all the Club Orange perks included (and get to dine in the CO if you are on a Pinnacle class ship or have breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill on all other classes - I actually prefer the Pinnacle Breakfast to the CO one). The Neptune concierges are all wonderful. There are many things the front desk or other departments have said no to that the concierge was able to get turned into a yes for us. A few small examples of things they have done above and beyond for us over the years

• Back when they had the DVDs still they were required to be turned in 24 hours before final disembarkation for inventory. After being informed of this we asked the concierge and they personally went and got us a DVD so we could watch a movie while we were packing.
  • Somehow on every cruise with fixed seating we always end up with a terrible table - either crammed in the former orchestra pit which is half way between decks so you can only see peoples feet while eating, or in a corner where there are no windows and all we can see is a bus station. Even when the Maitre 'd has said there is no room, the concierge has been able to get us either a much better window table, or a fixed reservation in open seating for the duration of the cruise with the same waiters (which is the main reason we like fixed seating). 
  • They have handled many billing issues, shore excursion cancellations and rebooks as well as specialty dining reservations. You never need to wait in line at the front desk, you can stop by or call the concierge and they will take care of everything - if it is something another department needs to fix they will take care of making sure it happens so you can just get back to enjoying your vacation. 
  • We have rented a wheel chair for my mom or great aunt on several cruises. On two occasions the wheel chair was broken. Unfortunately there is a very dumb policy that HAL is not permitted to switch a broken chair out with one of their stock (from the same 3rd party company, mind you) without the approval from the company. The concierge has taken care of calling the company and harassing them to get the needed approvals and coordinated with housekeeping to have the fixed chair delivered. 
  • When luggage direct is not available, the concierge has been able to print boarding passes for us at 24 hours prior to our flight. 
  • On one very special occasion they arranged a bridge tour for me with a small group of folks when they learned how interested I was. 

Additionally the Neptune suite is larger & we have found that we spend much more time in our cabin & balcony with the extra space (bonus points for an aft wrap balcony). The Neptune Lounge is also a great place to grab a cup of coffee or snack during the day, and the concierge can arrange tea or canapés in your suite as well.  

I would absolutely upgrade to a Neptune over a Signature for ~1,300 but I also exclusively book Neptunes on HAL so take that with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, regan3 said:

Is it worth the cost to upgrade from a verandah stateroom to a Signature Suite or a Neptune Suite? It would be for a seven-night cruise.

Is there that much of a difference in room size, amenities, etc. to justify the additional cost?

What ship?

The suite benefits are nice. We are only 2 in a cabin, so although space is nice, it doesn't carry as much weight for us. When we are making the decision, we tend to ask ourselves:

1. What is our total budget for this cruise? How are we willing to break-out the expenses? If we put more toward cabin, are we willing to spend less on other expenses, such as air fare to the cruise port, before/after stays, excursions, etc.? 

2. Where is the new cabin located? If we have gone to the trouble to pick a veranda cabin in a good location, we wouldn't move to a signature suite in a location which we might not like.  In that case, the perks of a suite might lose their luster.

So, for us it comes down to money, and as the old real estate adage goes, "location, location, location".

And no matter what your decision is,  you will have a great trip. It sure is fun to be planning a trip!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, oakridger said:

For my next 21 days on the Rotterdam I’ll be in a veranda. I don’t like the layout of signature suites on pinnacle class ships. I would only select one if traveling with a child or someone who can benefit from the privacy of the dressing area/Murphy bed area on those ships.    ~Nancy 

Although we have not stayed in a SS on a Pinnacle ship (we will be on our first Pinnacle ship next May), we agree that the layout is not as spacious looking as in the other class ships, and one of the reasons that we decided to stick with a Verandah for our upcoming cruise. We have stayed in SS on the other ships and loved them.  Have never stayed in a Neptune Suite, but have had the pleasure of enjoying my parents Neptune Suites, and amenities, a couple of times before they passed away.

We also do not care for the Vista Suite layout.   If the cost difference between the Verandah and the Vista had not too much higher, we would have picked it, however.  Also, for our 14 night cruise, we just could not justify the cost upgrade of having the Signature Suite.  Makes me sad because I really would love the extra room for that cruise.  Having two bathroom sinks is the best part!

Here are the current price variants between a verandah stateroom and suites for our cruise:

Verandah - $2,629 per person (starting price before adding any $ for deck preference or Have It All, etc)

Vista Suite - $4,329 per person  (starting price before adding any $ for deck preference or Have It All, etc)

Signature Suite - $6729 per person (starting price before adding any $ for deck preference or Have It All, etc)

Neptune Suite - $8499 per person (starting price before adding any $ for deck preference or Have It All, etc)

So, as you can see, it would cost us a total of:

$3400 more to upgrade from the Verandah to the Vista. (too much $ for what little you get - or don't get)

$8200 more from the Veranda to a Signature (big jump because there was only one Signature Suite left)

$11,740 more from the Veranda to a Neptune (NO, just a BIG NO!)

1. What is our total budget for this cruise? How are we willing to break-out the expenses? If we put more toward cabin, are we willing to spend less on other expenses, such as air fare to the cruise port, before/after stays, excursions, etc.? 

That's what we do, mostly.  Because of the cost of airfare for overseas this trip, we had to cut back on stateroom preferences.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 3