Bed bugs?

Cruisish

We had bedbugs in our cabin on the Amsterdam while on a WC.  They tried to fumigate it but were not successful, so they moved us to another room.  The medical dept. gave my DW some cream for the bites.  We were satisfied with their response and didn't make a big deal about it.  I noticed at the time that one of the crew members had a badge identifying him as "Pest Control Officer".

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cruisish said:

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam. I've never encountered this problem before in my life. I certainly don't expect bed bugs but at the same time was shocked when they said they've never before had them. Hard to believe. 

Was this on the recent Panama Canal cruise on the the Nieuw Amsterdam?  While we were docked on Costa Rica I saw  a member of the crew with a bug sprayer with a large tank on his back accompanied by an officer.

I hate to see this topic discussed.   We are booked on a couple of cruises in the next few months and I would be sick if I ended up in a cabin with bed bugs.   My worst fear would be to bring them home with me.   I have heard it's very costly and very difficult to get rid of them from your home.   I hope to never encounter them.

15 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

OP, I’m so sorry you experienced this!

Since there are occasional bedbug occurrences on cruise ships, there should be a website registry for people to input the ship, stateroom, and dates just like the site for hotels. 

Agree. There should be a website registry for ships.

1 hour ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Since there are occasional bedbug occurrences on cruise ships, there should be a website registry for people to input the ship, stateroom, and dates just like the site for hotels. 

Hmmm... what is the site for hotels!?

Thanks.

GC

• Like 2

How about having a fly in the MDR in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, can that be added to the registry?

• Haha 4

On 10/31/2022 at 1:53 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

GC

The main one is BedBug Registry.

What I do is Google “name of hotel bedbugs” whenever I am considering a hotel, and see if anything pops up. I then click on any Bedbug Registry and TripAdvisor reports as those are my go to reputable sites to check.

What I do is Google “name of hotel bedbugs” whenever I am considering a hotel, and see if anything pops up. I then click on any Bedbug Registry and TripAdvisor reports as those are my go to reputable sites to check.

That sounds like a peer reviewed website not a legal requirement.  Not an exacting science. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2022 at 12:17 PM, mexico8 said:

I hate to see this topic discussed.   We are booked on a couple of cruises in the next few months and I would be sick if I ended up in a cabin with bed bugs.   My worst fear would be to bring them home with me.   I have heard it's very costly and very difficult to get rid of them from your home.   I hope to never encounter them.

When travelling the first thing I do in a new room/cabin is pull the bedding off and check the mattress around all the seams and corners for any marks (wear your strongest readers). Even if you don't find the bugs you might see a collection of tiny brown dots of dried blood that suggests they're around.

If you see anything suspect don't sit, don't open a suitcase, just call or go to front desk and ask for a new room. That way the bibittes don't have an opportunity to get in your stuff.

I've stayed in some pretty dodgy places but have never brought any hitchhikers home!

22 minutes ago, lavictoria said:

When travelling the first thing I do in a new room/cabin is pull the bedding off and check the mattress around all the seams and corners for any marks (wear your strongest readers). Even if you don't find the bugs you might see a collection of tiny brown dots of dried blood that suggests they're around.

If you see anything suspect don't sit, don't open a suitcase, just call or go to front desk and ask for a new room. That way the bibittes don't have an opportunity to get in your stuff.

I've stayed in some pretty dodgy places but have never brought any hitchhikers home!

Just so disgusting to even worry about this. Yuck.

7 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Does anyone care?   Really..

On 10/31/2022 at 2:53 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks.

GC

The registry would include almost every hotel and motel.  While bedbugs are fairly rare if there is an infestation and they get on the outside of your luggage, then they have easy access to a bed when unpacking OR another suitcase if travelling by air or ship or???

FWIW, I travel for a combo if business and pleasure an average of 60 nights a year.  Have done so for over 50 years.  Encountered bedbugs only twice.  Once many years ago at a Radisson.   The other time 2 years ago at a Comfort Inn near SeaTac. 

Simple rule is to fold down the Bedding from both sides (if 2 people there) at least halfway and look  for dark specks.  Only takes a second.  Also do not put your suitcase on the bed.  Use the rack, a table or a desk.