Upper Age Limits on Shore Excursions

TheHawk1

I was looking at recent shore excursions, specifically one called Panoramic St. Lucia, for a Feb. 2023 cruise and noticed an alert in the reservation window that says maximum age limit is 80 years old.  I can understand having a minimum age for example if the tour wouldn't really be appropriate for children.  But why would Celebrity (or the tour provider) have an upper age limit?  I know some 80 years who are far healthier and more active than much younger people, so shouldn't the limiting criteria be mobility rather than age, if anything? 

• Like 1

Agree --- there are many age restricted tours that make no sense --- especially that you can often book it on your own and they don't have an age restrictions. 

They also often have weight restrictions that don't make sense

But....Them are the rules

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I was looking at recent shore excursions, specifically one called Panoramic St. Lucia, for a Feb. 2023 cruise and noticed an alert in the reservation window that says maximum age limit is 80 years old.  I can understand having a minimum age for example if the tour wouldn't really be appropriate for children.  But why would Celebrity (or the tour provider) have an upper age limit?  I know some 80 years who are far healthier and more active than much younger people, so shouldn't the limiting criteria be mobility rather than age, if anything? 

Probably should be, but passengers can lie about their mobility (even to themselves) whereas their age is certain.  I've been on several tours where some of the participants were a real hinderance to the rest of the group.  That said, I can sympathize with someone who is a fit 80+ being banned from an activity based solely on their age.  Wish I knew a good solution.

Edited by mnocket

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Agree --- there are many age restricted tours that make no sense --- especially that you can often book it on your own and they don't have an age restrictions. 

They also often have weight restrictions that don't make sense

But....Them are the rules

This excursion is primarily a bus tour, so apart from getting on/off the bus, not sure what activity there would be that a 75 year old would be fine with, but the 80 year old wouldn't?  Seems very arbitrary, but it certainly limits what excursions I'm able to book for my parents who are joining us on this cruise.

We ran into that for a Grand Cayman excursion. Age limit is 70 for a stroll through botanical gardens.  Fought with Celebrity and they wouldn’t budge. So, we booked through Viator. Same vendor. Go figure.  I don’t buy the insurance excuse since the vendor is the same.

I’ve resigned myself to chalking it up as “some things are simply stupid.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

We ran into that for a Grand Cayman excursion. Age limit is 70 for a stroll through botanical gardens.  Fought with Celebrity and they wouldn’t budge. So, we booked through Viator. Same vendor. Go figure.  I don’t buy the insurance excuse since the vendor is the same.

Yes I tried to book that tour through celebrity and because I’m 73 they wouldn’t sell to me.  I work my multi acre farm, so probably walk many times what that Stroll would be on a daily basis.   Dang getting old sure has its drawbacks.  Lol.

Edited by retird
  • Like 1

No point in arguing as Celebrity requires operators have X dollars  of liability insurance.   The insurance company sets the requirements for the policy which often include age.

Same situation for renting a car in Ireland.   It is age restricted there and in other countries.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Crazy.... I booked a tour in Puerto Vallarta for an outback ATV tour.   No restrictions but advise against people with back problems and pregnancy to not book

3 hours ago, retird said:

Yes I tried to book that tour through celebrity and because I’m 73 they wouldn’t sell to me.  I work my multi acre farm, so probably walk many times what that Stroll would be on a daily basis.   Dang getting old sure has its drawbacks.  Lol.

Agree -- I walk 10 miles a day and over 70.   They wouldn't allow me on a hike around a lake in Greenland.    We went on our own instead and had a wonderful day free of charge.

As they say... your only as old as you feel.. .unless booking a Celebrity Tour.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

This excursion is primarily a bus tour, so apart from getting on/off the bus, not sure what activity there would be that a 75 year old would be fine with, but the 80 year old wouldn't?  Seems very arbitrary, but it certainly limits what excursions I'm able to book for my parents who are joining us on this cruise.

A good reason to look at private tours where you will have the flexibility to do your own thing. Personally we use Toursbylocals whenever possible. You deal direct with the guide, pay via the Canadian head office, full refund if the ship doesn't dock, and TBL would meet the onward travel costs if you miss the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

No point in arguing as Celebrity requires operators have X dollars  of liability insurance.   The insurance company sets the requirements for the policy which often include age.

Same situation for renting a car in Ireland.   It is age restricted there and in other countries.  

So why do i get to book the same excursion for my husband and I through the same 3rd party vendor via Viator? They can claim insurance all they want - other cruise lines with the same excursion don’t have an age limit. I honestly think somebody coded it wrong in their computer system and nobody wants to do the legwork to figure it out.

2 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Imagine being 74 and playing hockey twice a week but not being fit enough for a tour.  That would be my husband! And he is too old to rent a car in Ireland.

People need to stop taking this personally. Insurers have to look at the aggregate, and the "average" 74-year-old is not playing hockey twice a week. 

Imagine the time and manpower it would take to listen to reasons and make rulings on a case-by-case basis. Cannot be done.

Just book private tours, where they will let you. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

People need to stop taking this personally. Insurers have to look at the aggregate, and the "average" 74-year-old is not playing hockey twice a week. 

Imagine the time and manpower it would take to listen to reasons and make rulings on a case-by-case basis. Cannot be done.

Who has the Insurance. The Cruise Line or the tour operator?   I ask because i assume it is not the tour operator because you can book privately with them no problem.   If it is the Cruise line, why do some cruise lines not have a restriction for the same tour? 

1 minute ago, retird said:

Who has the Insurance. The Cruise Line or the tour operator?   I ask because i assume it is not the tour operator because you can book privately with them no problem.   If it is the Cruise line, why do some cruise lines not have a restriction for the same tour? 

Different underwriters offer different policies, I'm sure. The policy that one cruise line has may differ from what a private operator has or even another cruise line.

It's like other kinds of insurance. You and your colleague may both have insurance on the same make and model car, but you may choose a lower deductible and higher collision coverage than s/he does.

In the US I know we are a highly individualistic society, but sometimes we have to accept that we aren't always entitled to exceptions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

not taking it personally at all and have yet to be turned away. 

6 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Imagine being 74 and playing hockey twice a week but not being fit enough for a tour.  That would be my husband! And he is too old to rent a car in Ireland.

I can see the logic behind car rentals, as lots of jurisdictions have age restrictions on driving.  But sitting on a bus or even walking on a guided tour shouldn't be limited based on your age.

6 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I can see the logic behind car rentals, as lots of jurisdictions have age restrictions on driving.  But sitting on a bus or even walking on a guided tour shouldn't be limited based on your age.

Then talk to the insurance companies about it, and get back to us.

19 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Start a tour company,  invite everyone…problem solved. 🙂

Some tours cost more than I think they should, anyone want to take that one on? 

Some things just are what they are.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Start a tour company,  invite everyone…problem solved. 🙂

Some tours cost more than I think they should, anyone want to take that one on? 

Some things just are what they are.  

Or if I were lawyer, perhaps I'd start a class action law suit.  Sounds like age discrimination to me.

46 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Or if I were lawyer, perhaps I'd start a class action law suit.  Sounds like age discrimination to me.

Who are you going to sue? The tour company or the insurance company? In what jurisdiction? Based on what data? Do you really think the insurance companies don't have the numbers to justify their limits on policies? They've got huge teams of actuaries behind them.