Polar Plunges in Antarctica

SailinC2C

Has anyone been on an Antarctic cruise and done this? Is it something they offer every cruise? I understand it would be weather dependent, but just wondering if it is common. I am hoping to do this. My nurse friend says I should practice going into cold water so I have been going in at the. Cottage. So far the coldest is 52F. I know the ocean will be around ZERO, so I hope to go into Lake Ontario on New Years Day, which should be in the high 30s or low 40s. 
Any experiences out there?

Yes, have done three Polar plunges; one in Antarctica this past January, one in the Arctic (Svalbard), and one in South Georgia islands with hundreds of thousands of penquins looking at these crazy humans plunging in the 29 degree Antarctica seas.

The Silversea Expedition Leader generally offers a Polar plunge on every Antarctica voyage, usually sea conditions dependent.  Both guests (we had 50 plunge) and crew (about 30) plunged in January.

You will have to fill out a medical form so the ship's doctor can clear  you.  The morning of the plunge you will wear your swim suit with your Silversea robe and head down to the Zodiac departure platform.  Most likely you will be in a line with fellow guests, as you are called to the platform you take off your robe, climb down to the platform where the Tender crew manning the Zodiac platform will secure you with a belt and rope prior to pluning.  Most guests jump for their plunge, some dive.  The Ship's photographer will be out in a zodiac with his zoom lens taking photos and shares them with you later in the cruise.  The photo below was taken by Antarctica Alan, the Silver Cloud outstand Photgrapher studio manager (have been on three expedition voyages cited above with Alan).

Post plunge you will immediately put your Silversea robe on and head to the staging area near the elevator, where Silversea has hot tea and Adult beverages (Bourbon, Rum, et.al) waiting.  We enjoyed a drink then headed to the Silver Cloud's jacuzzi to get warm.

Hope this helps and have a terrific Antarctica voyage and thrilling Polar Plunge!

269942938_10224055264062956_7207007353441098786_n (1).jpg

269859224_10224033261952917_3019525249065380459_n.jpg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 2

I am also tripolar (Antarctica 2x, Svalbard once). Wes's description is spot on for how they do it nowadays. My first was on Deception Island but they can't do it that way any more...

Except Wes left out the fact that the rope harness is absolutely freezing cold because it's been attached to everyone who has jumped prior to you, and it's soaking wet. So the shock of having that icicle strapped around you while you're standing out in the freezing cold in your bathing suit is almost as bad as jumping in the water.

In Deception Island, the Explorer anchored in the caldera and we took a zodiac ashore. We wore our suits under all of our clothes. When the time came we stripped down on the beach, ran into the freezing water, dove under, then ran out as fast as humanly possible to soak in the natural hot tub that the expedition staff had dug out in the volcanic beach (this is the part that supposedly they can't do any more). Then we had to get dressed and zodiac back to the ship before frostbite set in. That part wasn't fun!

P1100884.thumb.jpg.eca8e958944e3b1d2a550a1cee61d377.jpg

In Svalbard, we jumped off a zodiac tied up to the launching dock. Since we were at about 80 degrees N, just south of the Arctic pack ice in the open ocean, we were tethered with that freezing harness. Note the guy with a GoPro on the end of his stick, taking underwater pictures of us.

IMG_2823.thumb.JPG.fb4884df81bc785c3b320533afad17aa.JPG

The one from January 2020 was off the dock of Silver Cloud. It's a bit higher up from the water compared to jumping off the zodiac. And it was a frigid day. I don't have good pictures since Chris only shot video of that plunge. Here is one from the ship's photographer though.

IMG_9558.thumb.JPG.6239260403653ef46fa6837d7ac5262a.JPG

But yeah, I'd do it again. Just to entertain my friend Stumblefoot! Chris is the smart one in the family; she stays on board and takes photos.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Another triple jumper. First in Antarctica January 2011. the 6 months later in Svalbard and finally South Georgia some years later. Absolutely loved it.

Though in Svalbard I was possibly the one responsible for the introduction of the belt. From the Explorer back then just a rope tied around your waist. I asked the crew member if she was used to tying men up and she replied in the affirmative. It was the wife of an SS Expedition leader.

Jumped in and the rope came off. Fortunately no problem. in fact allowed me a little time to have a short swim.

The endorphins really kick in and the rum after makes it a wonderful experience.

No cold water experience for me as the sea temperature in these parts usually ~ 20C.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't worry about how freezing cold the water is in Antartica. You'll be amazed how quickly you'll manage to get yourself out of the ocean and back on the ship and enjoy the fine libations kept nearby that Wes mentioned (Maker's Mark was my choice--very warming!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, taxatty said:

you'll manage to get yourself out of the ocean and back on the ship and enjoy the fine libations kept nearby that Wes mentioned (Maker's Mark was my choice--very warming!)

Or… you could get a libation of your choice from a friendly bartender, take a peek over the railing to cheer the plungers, and return, dry and warm, to the comfort of your suite or lounge. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did not know this was something to do.  Now I'm going to have to ponder whether I want to do this on my trip to Antarctica in February next year.

Thank goodness I've been building up a nice insulating layer of warm fat to protect me if I decide to take the plunge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This looks rather invigorating!  I don't suppose they do the traditional "Keel Hauling", wherein they pass a rope under the ship, and you are dragged from port side to starboard side.  This was done, as I understand, when a new sailor crossed the equator for the first time.  (Warmer water!)  I have a sailor's log from my great grandfather, recounting his initiation into this fine tradition back in 1850 or so, as an able bodied seaman on a sail driven vessel trading from Boston to the west coast - pre Panama canal, obviously.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I don't suppose they do the traditional "Keel Hauling", wherein they pass a rope under the ship, and you are dragged from port side to starboard side.

From everything that I have read, keel hauling was a form of punishment that was sometimes fatal.  The hulls of the ships were coated with barnacles and other sharp growths, and I imagine how well the sailor was liked could affect how quickly he was pulled.

I do not understand why your great grandfather would have been keel hauled as an initiation for crossing the equator.  (Our initial equator crossings, on Silver Galapagos, were in the middle of the night, so we have no firsthand experience of recent practices.). Can you report further what he wrote?

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

I've never heard of keelhauling as part of an Equator Crossing Ceremony.  It's a pretty severe form of punishment.

He wasn't onboard the "Bounty" was he?  

I'd watch what they've put on the bottom of your tankard too!

On 11/7/2022 at 8:37 AM, Rothko1 said:

I did not know this was something to do.  Now I'm going to have to ponder whether I want to do this on my trip to Antarctica in February next year.

Thank goodness I've been building up a nice insulating layer of warm fat to protect me if I decide to take the plunge.

Which cruise will you be on in February? We will be on the Wind Feb 18-28.

• Like 1

What is the point of uncomfortable polar plunges (she asks, innocently?  No one looks happy after doing them (they are happiest getting oout) , and it defies the desire for physiological thermoequilibrium..  Is it all about bragging rights and selfies?  Is it the equivalent of marking checks against a list of countries visited (as if that means something important ) and odd things one has done in those areas?

I prefer focussing on engaging in awesome visuals and activities, evenn if repetitive, that mean something more than being instagrammable.  It does not make it "better", or more virtuous, it just is a different mentaltiy.

I have no interest in riding an elephant or a camel, much less going to Saudi Arabia or Turkey (again) as a western female, covering my head in shame, and would rather repeat or expand on my experiences in more civilized countries which incidentally have  cleaner toilets than those near the Blue Mosque in istanbul.

Agree with Drron, plus it is a tradition in the Arctic and Antarctica regions with most expedition cruises.  Similar to participating as a Shellback crossing the equator for the first time.  A coveted right of passage that passengers participate in as well as the Silversea crew.

• Like 5

On 11/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, WesW said:

Yes, have done three Polar plunges; one in Antarctica this past January, one in the Arctic (Svalbard), and one in South Georgia islands with hundreds of thousands of penquins looking at these crazy humans plunging in the 29 degree Antarctica seas.

The Silversea Expedition Leader generally offers a Polar plunge on every Antarctica voyage, usually sea conditions dependent.  Both guests (we had 50 plunge) and crew (about 30) plunged in January.

You will have to fill out a medical form so the ship's doctor can clear  you.  The morning of the plunge you will wear your swim suit with your Silversea robe and head down to the Zodiac departure platform.  Most likely you will be in a line with fellow guests, as you are called to the platform you take off your robe, climb down to the platform where the Tender crew manning the Zodiac platform will secure you with a belt and rope prior to pluning.  Most guests jump for their plunge, some dive.  The Ship's photographer will be out in a zodiac with his zoom lens taking photos and shares them with you later in the cruise.  The photo below was taken by Antarctica Alan, the Silver Cloud outstand Photgrapher studio manager (have been on three expedition voyages cited above with Alan).

Post plunge you will immediately put your Silversea robe on and head to the staging area near the elevator, where Silversea has hot tea and Adult beverages (Bourbon, Rum, et.al) waiting.  We enjoyed a drink then headed to the Silver Cloud's jacuzzi to get warm.

Hope this helps and have a terrific Antarctica voyage and thrilling Polar Plunge!

269942938_10224055264062956_7207007353441098786_n (1).jpg

269859224_10224033261952917_3019525249065380459_n.jpg

On 11/7/2022 at 10:58 PM, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

This looks rather invigorating!  I don't suppose they do the traditional "Keel Hauling", wherein they pass a rope under the ship, and you are dragged from port side to starboard side.  This was done, as I understand, when a new sailor crossed the equator for the first time.  (Warmer water!)  I have a sailor's log from my great grandfather, recounting his initiation into this fine tradition back in 1850 or so, as an able bodied seaman on a sail driven vessel trading from Boston to the west coast - pre Panama canal, obviously.