Discontinue direct mail?

newbiecruiser2022

Hi folks, I went on 1 NCL cruise this summer, to be honest I did not enjoy it, and I don't plan to repeat.

Unfortunately, NCL has been bombarding my mailbox quite literally every single WEEK with flyers and postcards. It is a real nuisance. Does anyone know how to get removed from the mailing list?

Part of my dissatisfaction with NCL includes being unable to reach anyone on the phone and unable to find any kind of form on the website for this purpose. I've been marking these things "return to sender" and putting them back into the mailbox for a while, and no success. I also went online to my NCL account and changed my mailing address to an invalid address hoping they would start sending the mail somewhere else and that didn't work either.

It has really become a thorn in my side, to see these mailings every week and be reminded of a trip that I didn't like.

Thanks if anyone has an idea.

What you are asking for is a way to stop junk mail.  In this case the junk mail is from NCL but I don't think it matters.  I don't think stopping junk mail is possible.  Seriously.  It's not like e-mail where there are regulations that companies are supposed to follow - I don't think there are such regulations with regular mail.

5 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

What you are asking for is a way to stop junk mail.  In this case the junk mail is from NCL but I don't think it matters.  I don't think stopping junk mail is possible.  Seriously.  It's not like e-mail where there are regulations that companies are supposed to follow - I don't think there are such regulations with regular mail.

No I'm not asking to stop all junk mail ever.

I'm asking for NCL specifically to stop sending me mail. Please only reply if someone knows who to reach or how to stop NCL postal mail.

I believe that I was successful in getting a live agent to mark my account for "Do not send".  But, obviously, you have to get through to a live agent to do this.  I do not get the mailings. 

However, my best friend travels with me and NCL has always had his profile intermingled with mine and I get his mailings (to his name) at my home address.

Worst case, I would edit your online account and put in a fake address somewhere in another state.  I would think this would eventually update the marketing database.  It's in the Update Profile section.   And if you're never planning on cruising with them again, who cares if the address is incorrect.  How about using NCL's own Florida address as your mailing address.  🙂

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

Not sure why this is such a big deal... it's clearly from NCL, usually just a postcard sized flyer, and easily fits into your recycling bin in 2 seconds. If I showed you the mountain of trash mail I got this past week alone related to election nonsense and all those stupid hypocrites....  I'll gladly take a brochure or flyer from a cruise line I'm not planning on booking with over that garbage any day of the week. 

There is literally a big button on their homepage that says "Contact Us". Is that what you're looking for? https://www.ncl.com/about/contact-us

image.thumb.png.7a424efff40fac61af258034ee3bde1f.png

image.png.9cc93b00942d692a2d30a28a558827a2.png

Under Guest Experiences is the online form to fill out and tell them why you hate them so much.

image.png.e15288dfebc297f0d5a2766fc1ec683b.png

1 hour ago, newbiecruiser2022 said:

No I'm not asking to stop all junk mail ever.

I'm asking for NCL specifically to stop sending me mail. Please only reply if someone knows who to reach or how to stop NCL postal mail.

I didn't use the term "all junk mail".  My point was regardless if its NCL or anyone else, it is unregulated and therefore no certain way to stop it.   

You may get someone to flag your account as don't end, you may change your address, but, neither is a certain way to stop the junk mail from coming.

Give USPS a break!  "Junk Mail" comprises over 50% of total mail volume. Everytime someone " goes paperless" it's another lost first class stamp or metered mail revenue. Times 12. If everyone could eliminate all junk mail, there wouldn't be a post office. Maybe the OP could pass the offending material on to someone else, possibly generating revenue for NCL? Even though he/she doesn't care for the NCL experience, his/her acquaintances might.

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If I showed you the mountain of trash mail I got this past week alone related to election nonsense

It's out of hand!  Between Tuesday and Saturday (I check mail on those days as it's not delivered directly to my residence and I don't go by the mail location daily) I must have gotten a half dozen of the things, plus a couple NCL brochures (to keep it on topic), and the carrier hadn't even completed the delivery for Saturday yet!  He was there delivering when I stopped to pick up.

It's gotten so bad they even put a notice up asking people to pick up their mail daily.  I've stopped MOST of the normal junk mail so I should drop to a couple things every few days.

Go to www.catalogchoice.org, type the catalog you want to discontine, and follow the directions. I did this for for the Viking catalogs which I used to receive on the average of three a week and have been Viking-free ever since.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

My deceased parents went on a Viking cruise about 15 years ago, I get a brochure pretty much every day in their names.

I get a ton of NCL mail...and I cruise NCL fairly frequently.  I can state with certainty that the generic mailers have never impacted my cruising decisions or timing.  I did once get a CAS mailing with a special (BOGO) offer, which I did take advantage of.  But the weekly spam?  No thanks.  

I can't even begin to estimate what this costs the companies (because it isn't only NCL.)  One would think there's a better use for a marketing budget.

At the bottom of the email there should be a link too 'unsubscribe'. Click the link and follow the instructions. Works for any junk mail I get. You could also have your email software mark NCL as junk and it will go straight to the junk mail folder.

18 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

At the bottom of the email there should be a link too 'unsubscribe'. Click the link and follow the instructions. Works for any junk mail I get. You could also have your email software mark NCL as junk and it will go straight to the junk mail folder.

Read the base note again - this is about snail-mail, not e-mail.

I asked the cruise consultant who booked my last NCL cruise to please have my deceased wife removed from the mailings.  That was in May of this year.  They are still sending them to her (just received another one today), yet I do not receive anything.  They go straight into my recycling bin.

9 hours ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I believe that I was successful in getting a live agent to mark my account for "Do not send".  But, obviously, you have to get through to a live agent to do this.  I do not get the mailings. 

However, my best friend travels with me and NCL has always had his profile intermingled with mine and I get his mailings (to his name) at my home address.

Worst case, I would edit your online account and put in a fake address somewhere in another state.  I would think this would eventually update the marketing database.  It's in the Update Profile section.   And if you're never planning on cruising with them again, who cares if the address is incorrect.  How about using NCL's own Florida address as your mailing address.  🙂

I traveled with my girlfriend at the time, and they intermingled her address with mine.  I also used to get her mailings to my home address.  Even when I moved, and changed my address, they updated hers to match.  This was a minor annoyance until I got a new girlfriend.......  I was finally able to get them to stop sending her mail to me after a few angry phone calls

• Like 1

Just now, dbrown84 said:

I traveled with my girlfriend at the time, and they intermingled her address with mine.  I also used to get her mailings to my home address.  Even when I moved, and changed my address, they updated hers to match.  This was a minor annoyance until I got a new girlfriend.......  I was finally able to get them to stop sending her mail to me after a few angry phone calls

and now that I think about it, I no longer get mail from NCL.  I'm not complaining at all.  Maybe they marked both of us as no mailing

On 11/8/2022 at 7:48 AM, suometar said:

Go to www.catalogchoice.org, type the catalog you want to discontine, and follow the directions. I did this for for the Viking catalogs which I used to receive on the average of three a week and have been Viking-free ever since.

Thank you, thank you!!!  Just signed up and will use it a lot, especially to get off the lists of the holiday catalogs that haven't been used in years and years.

Getting off junk mail lists is tough.  My FIL passed away in June and he was on a lot of charity email lists.  Once you give to one charity, your info is hared around quite liberally, as we all know.  I returned the mailers with "deceased, no longer at this address" and that worked for most of them.  A couple of them started sending mailers to our home (FIL's forwarding address) in my husband's name instead and I wrote them a very hasty letter about wasting their money on fundraising attempts instead of the cause they purported to support - haven't heard from them since.  The frustration of junk mail is one of the few things that everyone agrees on.