Boarding NCL. Why are the cabins not open till after 2pm?

ace2542

34 minutes ago, davidwar said:

Or as my daughter used to say when she was little "the mustard drill"

The funny thing is there are  adult, educated? folks here on CC who still call it " mustard drill".  Just key the phrase into the CC search box. You will find past threads of people who referred to the muster drills as "mustard drills"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

The funny thing is there are  adult, educated? folks here on CC who still call it " mustard drill".  Just key the phrase into the CC search box. You will find past threads of people who referred to the muster drills as "mustard drills"!

Ditto the Stewart (Stuart?) who services the cabin.  😉

Many people wouldn't usually see these words written, I suppose.

(But once on CC, that could change somewhat...)

GC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We it make everyone happier if NCL delayed boarding until every cabin was ready?

Or get it done faster. QM2 is able to do it by 12.30pm as has been posted. And these days the key is in the mail holding thing outside the room for you. Why can Cunard do it quicker than NCL? More staff perhaps?

My room is always ready by noon. Why? Because I sail in the Haven. If you want to sail NCL and getting in the room upon boarding is sooooo important to you, you have 2 options. Get a Haven room or board a little later. I’ve sailed NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard, Holland America and RCCL. Cunard isn’t all that, IMO. 

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Or get it done faster. QM2 is able to do it by 12.30pm as has been posted. And these days the key is in the mail holding thing outside the room for you. Why can Cunard do it quicker than NCL? More staff perhaps?

You gave one example of one cruise on one Cunard ship where you were able to access your cabin at 12:30 and despite having been told that across all mainstream cruise lines, including NCL, the access time is generally around then but may be later, you have wrongly generalized that one Cunard experience into a conclusion that Cunard is better, NCL stinks.” 

So please do yourself a favor and stick with Cunard and stay away from the “zoo” that you find NCL to be. You’ll be happier.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, KSSS2013 said:

They need time to get the rooms cleaned up. I've been on MSC, Princess, Royal, and NCL. The only time that I've ever had the room ready when we boarded is the first cruise of the Bliss after Covid. The ship had been empty so all rooms were ready.

What cruise line have you cruised where rooms are ready?

HAL, staterooms are ready at 1100, in time for boarding!😉

4 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

My room is always ready by noon. Why? Because I sail in the Haven. If you want to sail NCL and getting in the room upon boarding is sooooo important to you, you have 2 options. Get a Haven room or board a little later. I’ve sailed NCL, Celebrity, Princess, Cunard, Holland America and RCCL. Cunard isn’t all that, IMO. 

Not always. In September our Haven room wasn't available until all rooms were ready ~ 1:30 or 2. I don't really recall the time as we were enjoying other amenities. We were not in the Haven, however other guests who were in the Haven were also waiting at American Diner, then in the Haven Courtyard until the general call was made by whomever made the call that all rooms aboard the entire ship were ready. 

Cunard...for those that believe they are important, but they're not all that either. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You gave one example of one cruise on one Cunard ship where you were able to access your cabin at 12:30 and despite having been told that across all mainstream cruise lines, including NCL, the access time is generally around then but may be later, you have wrongly generalized that one Cunard experience into a conclusion that Cunard is better, NCL stinks.” 

So please do yourself a favor and stick with Cunard and stay away from the “zoo” that you find NCL to be. You’ll be happier.

I actually prefer NCL to Cunard this is my one complaint and I have only ever been on the two lines the execption of 1 RCL sailing and we got onboard after 3pm on that one.

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not always. In September our Haven room wasn't available until all rooms were ready ~ 1:30 or 2. I don't really recall the time as we were enjoying other amenities. We were not in the Haven, however other guests who were in the Haven were also waiting at American Diner, then in the Haven Courtyard until the general call was made by whomever made the call that all rooms aboard the entire ship were ready.

We also sailed this past September, on Norwegian Joy, and this our experience, too.  At 1130 or so, on embarkation day, the Good Mrs. Benson and I decided to check in at our muster station.  On the way, we stopped at our suite to drop off our carry-on.

The space seemed ready for occupation in all respects, except there was none of the usual "welcome aboard" literature.  We dropped the bag off, went to our muster station and checked in, then had lunch in the Haven Restaurant.

It was about fifteen minutes after 1300 when we returned to our suite, and all of our welcome-aboard documents, excursion tickets, and the like were now there.  We never heard an announcement that the staterooms were now ready for occupation.  We just figured they were ready, and ours was, at least.

14 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I've taken 11 NCL cruise, our cabins have been available no later than 1:00pm. I number of times it was Noon

Same - always noon-1. 

And your particular room may be ready, but to avoid confusion and having some people overhear that someone else's room is ready and think that theirs is too, it's likely easier for them to just wait and make one clear announcement that all the rooms are done.

When we sailed last month, we were told that we could go to our room and put our things down (only had a small backpack) but that the rooms were not ready.  Someone had to explain to someone else that it meant you can go peek, but you can't stay.

I think they try really hard to have them ready as soon as possible .... but I remember even after the rooms were ready our butler still brought flowers in later that afternoon ... and the bowl of fruit.

Our boarding plan is always to hit up the American Diner (or whatever complimentary meal for Haven folks) - or the garden cafe if not in Haven - eat, relax, check out the scenery ... grab a drink, and lounge.  There will be plenty of time to be in the room later.

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Comparing NCL and Cunard, I’ve heard it all now. 

Cunard under Carnival ownership has become little more than another mass market cruise line, but one that is stuffy and makes you get dressed up for dinner. The food for the Britannia class cabins is no better...in fact I'd say not even as good as the food in NCL's MDRs...and yes I've cruised on Cunard so I've eaten in the Britannia dining room.

The Princess and Queens Grill suites are far superior (I haven't cruised in one of those suites or eaten there but I accept the opinion of others on the matter). On the other hand the food in NCL's Haven dining room is pretty darn good...and I have sailed in Haven cabins and eaten there many times.

I'll never cruise Cunard again. NCL gives you more for your money and NCL's casual atmosphere is what we prefer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Why can Cunard do it quicker than NCL?

and what is the ratio of cabins to cabin stewards on Cunard compared to NCL?  I imagine a Cunard steward services fewer than the 14 cabins an NCL steward services (as noted in a previous reply).

10 hours ago, ace2542 said:

More staff perhaps?

and where would they house them?  Crew quarters on mass-market lines are already cramped.

How much would you tolerate fares going up on a mass-market line?  Wait, I imagine that would be quite a bit since you also sail Cunard, but the rest of us can't tolerate a huge price increase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Cunard...for those that believe they are important, but they're not all that either. 

Never been my experience. We’ve always been able to, at a minimum, drop off our bags.

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I'll never cruise Cunard again. NCL gives you more for your money and NCL's casual atmosphere is what we prefer.

I was discussing cruising with my cousin.  He enjoys Cunard precisely because of the formal dress code.  Maybe because I'm in a suit so much for work, the prospect of dressing up on vacation is of zero appeal to me.  Is NCL perfect?  Of course not.  But, for me, I prefer it to most of the alternatives (in a comparable price range, at least.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Cunard under Carnival ownership has become little more than another mass market cruise line, but one that is stuffy and makes you get dressed up for dinner. The food for the Britannia class cabins is no better...in fact I'd say not even as good as the food in NCL's MDRs...and yes I've cruised on Cunard so I've eaten in the Britannia dining room.

The Princess and Queens Grill suites are far superior (I haven't cruised in one of those suites or eaten there but I accept the opinion of others on the matter). On the other hand the food in NCL's Haven dining room is pretty darn good...and I have sailed in Haven cabins and eaten there many times.

I agree. Cunard makes you wear a tux and for the formal dinner gives an appetizer of chicken fingers 

• Haha 4

On 11/9/2022 at 9:51 AM, KSSS2013 said:

What cruise line have you cruised where rooms are ready?

Well, we are hoping to go on the Joy soon. As long as we can board early booking a Haven cabin, and having the water tight doors open to get to our Haven cabin and drop off our carry on luggage we will be satisfied to get to lunch. We usually travel Celebrity Retreat and are able to do this. When we cruise on MSC in the Yacht Club they have for the last 6 months have all the YC suites ready at boarding, usually 11:30 am, all an announcement at 2pm that all other cabins are ready.

2 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Well, we are hoping to go on the Joy soon. As long as we can board early booking a Haven cabin, and having the water tight doors open to get to our Haven cabin and drop off our carry on luggage we will be satisfied to get to lunch. 

The worst that will happen is you might have to spend some time on the sofas and arm chairs or on the barstools in the Haven Lounge while you wait for a table in the Haven Restaurant.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

Never been my experience. We’ve always been able to, at a minimum, drop off our bags.

I hope your experience is my experience in March! We never cruise Haven proper, so that could be the issue. The two cruises this year and March's cruise are outside the complex. It's not really an issue for us as we slip on our bathing suit and enjoy the Haven pools until rooms are ready after having our American Diner mozzarella sticks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I hope your experience is my experience in March! We never cruise Haven proper, so that could be the issue. The two cruises this year and March's cruise are outside the complex. It's not really an issue for us as we slip on our bathing suit and enjoy the Haven pools until rooms are ready after having our American Diner mozzarella sticks!

That could be the issue. I don’t usually sail Haven proper, either. I just push through the doors and go to my room! I at least drop my stuff off. It’s really the only time I push the limit. Nobody has ever had an issue with us doing it. 

• Thanks 1

I've been on around a dozen cruises on several different cruise lines, and have never seen rooms ready before 12:30, and as late as they have to clear the ship before boarding can even begin, I wouldn't expect my room to be ready before then. It's a vacation. Go have lunch, have a drink, get oriented with the ship, check in at your muster station, take a tour of the spa, wear your swimsuit under your clothes or pack it in a carryon and change into it and go soak up some sun in a deck chair, or just sit somewhere and people watch. I get that some people like to 'get settled' in their rooms ASAP, but seriously, just relax. If you want to guarantee that your room will be ready upon embarkation, then book a later arrival appointment/boarding window.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1