Captain’s Table

1 hour ago, aftermidnight said:

Did Royal do away with Captains Table?

Yes, if you have enought credits you can dine with a ships officer but no more Captains Table on on of the ships we have sailed on in the last few years. 

2 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

Yes, if you have enought credits you can dine with a ships officer but no more Captains Table on on of the ships we have sailed on in the last few years. 

Actually since Covid it's Cheers with the officers. They introduce them, a toast is made and then they leave.  Hope the officer at our table comes back. 

There's a big difference in how captains see their responsibilities.  Some seem to love interacting with passengers while others put on the cloak of invisibility.

I wonder if their is anything in their job description dealing with passenger contact.

It would be nice to know who or how one is selected and invited to eat at the Captain's Table? Does anyone know? Thanks.

* We were extremely honored to have been invited to the Captain's Table, Voyager of the Seas, 2015 New Year's Eve dinner, Australia. Outstanding menu, service, and all one happy table.

(Fancy silverwares  fancy wine, and group/table picture sent to our cabin.)

Yes, we'd love to do it again.

• Like 1

Our first time at Captain's table was 1997 on the Majesty.  It was dh's birthday but I don't think that was it.  We were with friends and the 3rd couple at our table were new to cruising but he did work for one of the airlines.  None of us had any status.  One evening the head waiter came to our table and asked if we had any p,and for the next evening.  We all said no and he told us we would be eating with the Captain the next evening.  It was a great evening. 

In 2015 on our Baltic cruise we had a free upgrade to a GS, remember those days, and mentioned to the concierge in the lounge that we'd love to do Captain's table again.  We were invited but since there was a last minute itinerary change because of weather the Captain couldn't make it. The f&b director,  whose parents were onboard and who we became friends with,  hosted the evening.  It was nice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Don't forget Hotel Directors and Chief Engineers as well

I think that dining with the Captain is limited to those who have Captain in their title. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2022 at 4:32 PM, bonsai3s said:

It would be nice to know who or how one is selected and invited to eat at the Captain's Table? Does anyone know? Thanks.

It's definitely not like the old days (mid 80's through mid-2000's)....my mom would write a letter to the Captain ahead of their cruise (Mom and Dad went on probably 35 Royal cruises) introducing herself and asking about having dinner at the Captain's table one night.  She'd namedrop a few of the Captains they'd had dinner with before.  I'd guess on well over half their cruises they got an invitation.  She had a photo album of all their dinners with the Captain.  I got to dine there on both my cruises with them...I remember on one of them thinking it was all fancy because they served Perrier instead of tap water 🤣