Royal Caribbean Horrible Customer Service... leaves family stranded

14 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Hence the reason for a good TA.  I was in contact with our TA (although he was not yet ours) before our Alaska cruise to get all the information we needed on paperwork that had to be completed.  If you haved a good TA they will help you get the correct information.

This is not to argue for or against having a TA.  However, for the most part, almost ALL common questions can be answered by a simple check into Royal's, et al, website FAQ.  I've used both TAs and Calling the cruise line direct for bookings.  And to be honest, I've almost always felt better checking for myself, I've had both TAs and the "Phone Answerers" at the mother ship be wrong.  The "Phone Answerers" far more often that the TAs though.  And to be honest, I've only used the big box TAs because of the OBCs. If they don't offer generous OBCs, I book myself with a call to the cruise line.  I'm really a firm believer in self-reliance, as much as possible.

The above is not intended to be a stereo type of TAs or the "Phone Answerers".  Some are very good.  But, at least with the "Phone Answerers", they are wrong FAR to often.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I think that I agree that this is an instance of horrible service.  So what if the website says one thing?  And a person representing the cruise line says another?  Websites often have incorrect or out of date information too.  It is debatable which is more trustworthy.

Any thing that might deny boarding should not be miscommunicated.  If the person representing the cruise line can't read the website, then why would the average cruiser be expected to? 

I think that if the original poster can prove that she was given the wrong information, she could get some compensation.  And weasel words that state it is up to the cruiser to know the policies won't cut it because it many cases it the line's policy not a particular country's.  She did try to find out the cruise line's policy.

Great post.  There's simply no excuse for the phone agents giving out incorrect information about something as important as this.

Many of us here on CC (and I'm sure many other RC cruisers) know that RC's phone agents notoriously give out incorrect or inconsistent information, but I would bet that there are a lot of people that don't know this, and that would understandably trust the information provided by the phone agents.

I suspect RC records all of the phone conversations.  I would hope that the OP could somehow have RC review the calls, and that the OP could receive some sort of compensation (although I doubt this will happen).

• Like 5

So sorry this happened to you when you thought you had covered all your bases.  It would be very frustrating and I’d be very unhappy too.  Although it’s personal responsibility to know the facts when you travel you thought you had them.  

I hope when they review the phone conversations you have a good outcome.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

This is not to argue for or against having a TA.  However, for the most part, almost ALL common questions can be answered by a simple check into Royal's, et al, website FAQ.  I've used both TAs and Calling the cruise line direct for bookings.  And to be honest, I've almost always felt better checking for myself, I've had both TAs and the "Phone Answerers" at the mother ship be wrong.  The "Phone Answerers" far more often that the TAs though.  And to be honest, I've only used the big box TAs because of the OBCs. If they don't offer generous OBCs, I book myself with a call to the cruise line.  I'm really a firm believer in self-reliance, as much as possible.

The above is not intended to be a stereo type of TAs or the "Phone Answerers".  Some are very good.  But, at least with the "Phone Answerers", they are wrong FAR to often.

Absolutely...education is key, anyone can be uninformed or misinformed, even TAs.  I am an ACD type and I need control over important situations.  Can't sleep while hubs is driving, etc.  But, I have no one to blame in those cases but myself.  I am just more comfortable because I usually leave no stone unturned.  I am extremely cautious and detail oriented.  Having said that, what really matters is what was done about compensation.  It pays to know the proper person to turn to.  Do your homework about email addresses and telephone numbers and who's who at the corporate level.  It pays to bypass the low man on the totem pole sometimes.  And adopting that philosophy has had much happier outcomes in general for all our complaints.  RCCL has never failed us. And I am just being truthful, not a cheering section!

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

It took less than a minute to find the information about vaccination and testing for transatlantic cruises on the Royal Caribbean website.

There is absolutely no excuse for a cruiser not to know this information before leaving on a transatlantic cruise.

Blame away, but it is still on the cruiser to do their homework and obtain the official written policy.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

There is absolutely no excuse for a cruiser not to know this information before leaving on a transatlantic cruise.

From the first post:

"I booked back in July and called 3 times between booking and sail date to clarify the requirements."

24 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

It took less than a minute to find the information about vaccination and testing for transatlantic cruises on the Royal Caribbean website.

Blame away, but it is still on the cruiser to do their homework and obtain the official written policy.

You are wrong.  How do you propose doing your homework when it is a fluid situation. Over the past three months the policies and procedures changed incrementally. In my own case I did my homework, repeatedly,  and I received conflicting information numerous times.

• Like 6

If I was the OP, I would contact mbayley

28 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Can you please explain, why are the agents there if they are uninformed and cannot offer realistic information.  Are they there to just answer phones or provide proper instructions.

• Like 1

I really do believe the cruise line is responsible for providing the information, and it ends there.  It is the consumer's responsibility to act accordingly to the provided information.  And yes, if there is confusion, that is the role of the TA to clarify.  RCI, or any line, really, should not be expected explain the clearly stated information.

Edited by StephPS79

45 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Absolutely...education is key, anyone can be uninformed or misinformed, even TAs.  I am an ACD type and I need control over important situations.  Can't sleep while hubs is driving, etc.  But, I have no one to blame in those cases but myself.  I am just more comfortable because I usually leave no stone unturned.  I am extremely cautious and detail oriented.

Whew! Guess I'm not the only one who can't sleep while hubby drives. I've never been able to sleep on a plane either. We'll be flying back to Chicago-Indiana from Honolulu next fall and booked a first class seat (first time for 1st class) and, since the seats fully recline, I hope to get some sleep for the overnight flight. Can't forget the neck pillows!😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

I really do believe the cruise line is responsible for providing the information, and it ends there.  It is the consumer's responsibility to act accordingly to the provided information.  And yes, if there is confusion, that is the role of the TA to clarify.  RCI, or any line, really, should not be expected explain the clearly stated information.

The cruise line did provide the information.  The problem is, the information they provided was incorrect.  The consumer DID act accordingly to the provided (incorrect) information.  There was no reason for confusion, as the consumer was provided the same incorrect information 3 times.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

But apparently didn't check out the website.

Websites suffer the same inaccuracies as live agents as many times developers/administrators only take down links or change them to updated info leaving the old page live. If someone saved a link given to them, the page can still be active.

• Like 3

One thing I've learned doing call center work myself is that if a well-meaning rep gives false information, if there's no proof it happened, it'll be "sorry, the policy was available in writing".

If this was something stated over the phone, ask to have the call pulled. It's a lucky shot but it may still work in your favor if people repeatedly gave you false information. You'll probably have a 1-month window from when the call occurred, but ask anyway if it's been later than that. Beyond that, find some kind of nugget for a more helpful rep to latch onto that will allow them to argue your case to their own supervisors. Look for negotiation and haggling, not a full refund. They will likely shoot you down on any attempt to get a full refund. But if the right rep stumbles on the truth, you'll get the full refund anyway. It's all about proving your case.

Edited by PolicromaSol

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

This is also sad but true.

and I don’t like the word blame. It implies you have no responsibility.

There is no excuse for RCL . When one calls the rep always starts out with reservation # please !!! 

The rep knew the cruise was a transatlantic.

This regardless of what passenger told him .

RCL reps gave out false information .

There is no excuse for RCL . When one calls the rep always starts out with reservation # please !!! 

The rep knew the cruise was a transatlantic.

This regardless of what passenger told rep .

RCL reps gave out false information .

• Like 2

I really do feel for the OP esp the children, must be gutted. 

We all know how bad royals phone customer service is hence why never ring them, always email so i have a written trail. 

The website can be confusing esp for those not used to how royal do their information.

As for TAs depends on how good they are. Ours would ring royal and believe what they got told. We had to get them to ring 3 times and provide the T&Cs to sort an issue we had in aug. 

I am not a lawyer so have no idea what the OP can claim back, either from royal or their travel insurance.