Water shut down Koningsdam Thanksgiving sailing

meh56

We have been given a letter that said water will be turned off from midnight tonight until 4AM for routine maintenance. We will not water and will not be able to use the toilet during these hours. We have over 30 years of traveling on cruise ships and never heard of this. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?

7 minutes ago, meh56 said:

We have been given a letter that said water will be turned off from midnight tonight until 4AM for routine maintenance. We will not water and will not be able to use the toilet during these hours. We have over 30 years of traveling on cruise ships and never heard of this. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?

We've had it happen.  Usually on longer voyages. 

But, sometimes, if they need to clear an obstruction, it can happen anytime.  It happens because someone flushed something they shouldn't have.

• Like 8

It makes me wonder what the problem is.  I’ve been on the ship for almost 2 weeks.  Same thing happened last week except there was no notice, just a nasty surprise in the middle of the night. There is no way that it  is because someone flushed something they shouldn’t.  This is super annoying.

Florida Gal I knew there was something that is not right. I agree it is not because someone flushed something they shouldn’t have. That is a fixable problem. I am a little concerned it could take longer than 4 hours. Guest services told us to call room service and they will deliver a pitcher of water, not sure what that will do for using the toilet. I thank you for your reply. I have talked to others earlier in the cruise that are on a back to back so word that this happened last week will be getting out quickly.

7 hours ago, meh56 said:

We have over 30 years of traveling on cruise ships and never heard of this. Has anyone experienced this or heard of this?

Yes, similar has happened to us, and we don't have the vast cruising experience you and many others on CC have.  It was many years ago on a Caribbean cruise.  I don't remember the details.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It makes me wonder what the problem is.

This sounds to me like they have had a leak in one of the main water lines, and have put a temporary patch on it, and chose the wee hours of the night to make permanent repairs.

20 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

@meh56 pouring water down the toilet helps flush down what is in the toilet. Have you never had to do this in your own home when the water has to be shut off?

That would work if the toilet on the ship bore any resemblance to the toilet in your home.  It doesn't.  Your toilet at home doesn't have a valve that holds water in the toilet, otherwise that annoying sucking noise you hear when you flush the ship's toilets would be continual.  Pouring water into a ship's toilet will only cause it to overflow.  Now, if you "deposit" something in the toilet, and then flush, since the vacuum system will likely not be down, the toilet will empty, and you can use the pitcher of water to refill the bowl afterwards.

9 minutes ago, BobbiSox said:

If I had to use the toilet when the water is turned off, I would go use a public bathroom.When you gotta go, you gotta go. 

And the result would be the same.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It makes me wonder what the problem is.  I’ve been on the ship for almost 2 weeks.  Same thing happened last week except there was no notice, just a nasty surprise in the middle of the night. There is no way that it  is because someone flushed something they shouldn’t.  This is super annoying.

8 hours ago, meh56 said:

Florida Gal I knew there was something that is not right. I agree it is not because someone flushed something they shouldn’t have. That is a fixable problem. I am a little concerned it could take longer than 4 hours. Guest services told us to call room service and they will deliver a pitcher of water, not sure what that will do for using the toilet. I thank you for your reply. I have talked to others earlier in the cruise that are on a back to back so word that this happened last week will be getting out quickly.

Do you think that it might just be possible that the shutdown last week was patched with a temporary fix and the part that was needed arrived? That would explain how this fix was scheduled.

• Like 6

Have experienced this on several cruises. IMO not a big deal; put the top down and don't flush. If longer than 4 or so hours, then a problem. The real problem is when the water comes back on and the water into the sink and shower is brown, and you have to run it a long time to get clear water again. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbiSox said:

If I had to use the toilet when the water is turned off, I would go use a public bathroom.When you gotta go, you gotta go. 

But the water is off all over the ship.  If you “deposit” something wouldn't that be a lovely surprise for the next person.  It’s not going to automatically flush when the water comes on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you live in a drought area, you would find it is not a big deal not to flush for 4 hours (unless you poo)...particularly in the middle of the night. Its not a big deal.

And that is more the issue.  It seems like no one here does that.  Only in the daylight hours.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

Do you think that it might just be possible that the shutdown last week was patched with a temporary fix and the part that was needed arrived? That would explain how this fix was scheduled.

Totally possible.  The thing is when I asked at the front desk why wasn’t there a note sent out to let us know, just a nasty surprise.  This person told me there was a note (last week) and that housekeeping misplaced it.  I did ask a number of people and all theirs got lost too I guess.  This week we definitely got notice.  The front desk person also told me that my turnaround papers got lost.  I had to plead for them at the front desk.  Also had to go back for the in transit card.  My cabin stewards are excellent by the way but apparently they lose everything 🤪.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

This sounds to me like they have had a leak in one of the main water lines, and have put a temporary patch on it, and chose the wee hours of the night to make permanent repairs.

That would work if the toilet on the ship bore any resemblance to the toilet in your home.  It doesn't.  Your toilet at home doesn't have a valve that holds water in the toilet, otherwise that annoying sucking noise you hear when you flush the ship's toilets would be continual.  Pouring water into a ship's toilet will only cause it to overflow.  Now, if you "deposit" something in the toilet, and then flush, since the vacuum system will likely not be down, the toilet will empty, and you can use the pitcher of water to refill the bowl afterwards.

And the result would be the same.

Thank you for always providing excellent information on the board.  I really appreciate it!

For those that think it’s no big deal here’s hoping this is in your future, maybe during the day, after of few coffees 😛.